The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Snapshots from November

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

As always you have made the best of what looks like some wonderful light.

The A77 seems to shine ... lovely color and DR.

Bob

Knorp

I think that most of these were taken with a NEX 5n and an A77 . . but the exif is there, so you can shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong!
I'll bet you double checked the EXIF before you put that down ... :angel:
:grin: :LOL: :ROTFL:

A lovely 'organic' series with some new additions I hadn't noticed before.
Always a pleasure seeing what you can do with simple subjects, just wonderful :salute:

All the very best.

peterb

Splendid shots Jono. And a delicious showcase for ZA optics (particularly those shot with the ZA 135 f1.8).

Curious, while I know little has been written about shooting with the ZA 24mm f1.7 Sonnar E lens (due to it's utter lack of availability) care to venture a guess as to whether a ZA lens on the A77 (or A65) would yield superior images than say an E ZA on a NEX (particularly the NEX 7)?

One's got a pellicle. The other has nothing standing in the way between glass and sensor (other than an anti-aliasing filter). Reports suggest typical E lenses don't seem to be quite the equivalent of their FF Alpha brethren so would it be a trade-off?

Or do you think it would be about equal. (Or too soon to truly tell.)

Thanks

Peter

marlof

It's always nice when you put up a link to recent work. Lovely images, which show the love for the simple things in life.

jonoslack

Jono,

As always you have made the best of what looks like some wonderful light.

The A77 seems to shine ... lovely color and DR.

Bob
HI Bob
Thank you - I think so as well, It's a lovely camera - fine to use, and producing great results. I'm still getting to know the RAW files in Aperture, but getting more positive by the day.

all the yes

jonoslack

I'll bet you double checked the EXIF before you put that down ... :angel:
:grin: :LOL: :ROTFL:
Didn't give you a thought Bart :p:ROTFL:
Anyway, being 'wrong' is part of my internet presence, dreadful to spoil everyone's preconceptions (like changing one's mind over EVFs for instance).

A lovely 'organic' series with some new additions I hadn't noticed before.
Always a pleasure seeing what you can do with simple subjects, just wonderful :salute:

All the very best.
Thank you - It's not such a grand ambition (making good images out of simple subjects) - but it seems to be one we share (and which you are so expert). Which makes the praise even more welcome.

all the best

jonoslack

Splendid shots Jono. And a delicious showcase for ZA optics (particularly those shot with the ZA 135 f1.8).

Curious, while I know little has been written about shooting with the ZA 24mm f1.7 Sonnar E lens (due to it's utter lack of availability) care to venture a guess as to whether a ZA lens on the A77 (or A65) would yield superior images than say an E ZA on a NEX (particularly the NEX 7)?
Thanks for the kind words.
No - I've no real idea, I guess that using the Leica 180 APO and 28-90 zooms on the NEX5 (they are in quite a lot of the shots, but of course, not in the exif) does suggest that the NEX cameras are capable of making the most of good lenses.

One's got a pellicle. The other has nothing standing in the way between glass and sensor (other than an anti-aliasing filter). Reports suggest typical E lenses don't seem to be quite the equivalent of their FF Alpha brethren so would it be a trade-off?

Or do you think it would be about equal. (Or too soon to truly tell.)

Thanks

Peter
I think too much is written about the pellicle - clearly it has an effect on high ISO simply by reducing the light, but beyond that I'm doubtful - AA filters are right up against the sensor - and will therefore have much more direct effect on the image - the pellicle is further away, and should have a smaller effect (like shooting through a clean window at wide aperture).

I thought the essay about lenses and variability at dpreview was very interesting - Article about 'getting a good copy' at dpreview

Different lenses are just different - and that goes for copies of the same lens. But with different lenses it's really hard to get the criteria to actually make a judgement!

Give me a NEX7 and the ZS E 24 and I'll compare it with my A77 and the A mount 24 f2 - but I'm not sure it'll tell us anything relevant to real photography.

all the best

jonoslack

It's always nice when you put up a link to recent work. Lovely images, which show the love for the simple things in life.
Thank you! It's the simple things which are around me most of the time (aren't I lucky). Still, there's not much opportunity for street photography in our neck of the woods!

all the best

jonoslack

The rose on page one is my fave! but number 11 bridle? is pretty close behind.
Hi Terry
Bridle - absolutely - just cleaned (by Emma I'm ashamed to say). Just something else dangling in our kitchen!

Thanks for looking - glad you liked the rose - it was in an overgrown corner of the garden, but maybe it's the heavy dew that makes the shot.

all the best

Rand47

The thermal distortion in the image of the ground fire with lorry in the background is brilliant! I love the transition from painterly Impressionism to literal photo.