The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX dream team lens setup

jthurs

Thanks, Monza. I actually bought and sold the Metabones adapter last year. It was way too large and heavy for what I considered adequate focus improvement, so I actually prefer the Kipon.

Hawks should make a helicoid adapter that takes the focus mechanism of the G lenses out of the equation entirely. Just lock the lens at infinity and extend the helicoid.
Very smart. I'd buy that in second.

monza

AFAIK, Dirk moved to Germany, so I'm not sure he's working with MS anymore.

I have tried the MS Optical conversions. I found them usable, but fiddly, unergonomic. Check out the Ken Rockwell article on them. The conversion I'm having Hawk perform adds a helical to the back of the 45mm, the rest of the barrel and aperture ring is left intact. The only down side is no focus scale, but I would not typically zone focus a 45mm anyway. If I convert a 28 or 35, I will guesstimate and tape a printed focus scale on the lens.

J

Jacob D

I'm very curious after hearing about the Hawk conversion also. Do you mind sharing what the cost on this is and ballpark lead time?

monza

I'll post more after I receive the lens. I don't think this is an every day product for him.

philber

I have 3 legacy lenses that could make that list IMHO.
Leica R 60mm Makro, goes to 1:1 with the accessory tube. Wonderful colours, massive detail, easy to focus, not over expensive price.
Then Contax G 45 and 90. If the 28 is already on the list, it shows that the G adapter is already available and the two longer Gs are even better IMHO. Very contrasty, bitingly sharp, great detail and colours. And, of course, fantastic value for money.

Amatieris

If I am allowed to dream: Leica M for wides seems like a sure bet. AT the long end it is more difficult. I guess some of the Leica R Apo are hard to beat, the same way Zeiss APO (they were made for MF so might be heavier) and canon L are very good.

Ben Rubinstein

If I'm just dreaming then I'd kill for a Nex 7 with 35 and 50mm Summilux pre-asph.

In reality I'd love the Nex 7 with the Canon LTM 35mm 1.5 and my Takumar super 50mm 1.4

Realistically I can't afford to buy a single thing so it really is just all dreams...

etrigan63

I have collected two legacy lenses for my NEX-7:

CV Nokton 35mm f/1.4 MC + Rainbow NEX-to-M adapter
Zuiko OM 50mm f/1.4 + Fotodiox NEX-to-OM adapter

I want to add the Zuiko OM 135mm f/2.8 to this mix, but I am trying to find a nice one for around $50.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
This is a very interesting question. If we're dreaming here, about everything Leica makes would go on my list, at least in the M lens lineup. So I guess my dream team lens setup would be greatly dependent upon what exactly it was I was shooting the story of and for.

jonoslack

Hmmm . . Sony 16mm E (mine seems fine)
Sony 18-200 E
Leica R 28-90
Leica R 180 f2.8 APO
Sony 70-300 G lens with thingy 2 adapter.

Oh! I have them all . . . now then . . . where's the *(@*££* camera!

:)

V

Vivek

Mine is (please note this is descriptive and not prescriptive) fairly straight forward:

S-Planar 32/4 in a custom helicoid.

Tessar 3cm f/2.8 plus adapter.

Almost all the Olympus pen F lenses.

A few fast c-mount lenses.

Tilt/shift contraption to use other lenses.

May be the Zeiss E-Sonnar 24/1.8.

No LTM or M mount lenses.

NEX-7 and to be hacked NEX-5.

uhoh7

Well I've tried quite a few lenses and will sell most this spring, except
sigma 8-16 (alpha mount)
zm18
28 summicron (my normal)
35/1.2 CV and the skopar.
Pen 42/1.2
Various 50's for portraits--nikkor 5cm 1.4 leica 50/2 etc. Canon LTM 50/1.2
CV 75/2.5
Various old 85's e.g. Canon 85/1.8 LTM
tele-elmarit 90
Canon 100/2 LTM
Canon 135/3.5 LTM

That's pretty close to my dream list except I might swap the 2 35s for a leica summilux, and a 90 cron would be good, and the telyt APO M 135/3.4 would also be useful. The 28 cron was 3k, but lives on the camera, so I feel investment is justified, but a 28 ultron would be fine too. I would take the ultron ahead of the fantastic zeiss g just because f/2 or 1.9 is way more light just where you need it at the normal FOV.

for a budget I would reccomend:
cv 15
sony 24/1.8
some nice 35
sony 50/1.8
sony 55-210 (pretty good to 135)

Last edited:

etrigan63

Well, I just snagged a Zuiko OM 135mm f/2.8 for $70 on Fleabay. The seller claims that the lens is in EXC condition. We shall see when it arrives. he at least had photos of the actual lens in the auction.

alphaman

It kind of depends on future sensors. If I was to use a NEX 5n, I'd be happy to use almost any legacy lens, whether Contax G, Leica M, Voigtlander or Zeiss M. I'd probably go for a Leica only set-up. The NEX-7 sensor excludes symmetrical lens designs, so I would run into trouble with older lenses wider than 35mm and with modern Leica M lens prices being what they are ...

I'm quite attracted to Contax (SLR) lenses and think the 18mm, 35mm, 60 macro, 85mm and 135mm lenses would give very good service.

I hope to be able to team up a set of modern Zeiss E lenses with a NEX-7, so here's in hope: the existing Zeiss 24mm, plus (hopefully) future: Zeiss 14mm, 60mm, 90mm and 135mm.