The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hawks factory Sony NEX to Contax G adapter

Martin S

Anyone have one of these adapters?? Do they really bypass the lens focus, and focus the lens themselves??

Please provide email address, or ebay info.

Any other lens adapter for the Contax G lenses have a focussing helicoid???

Thanks.

Martin

Last edited:

alphaman

As far as I know the Hawks adapter uses a helicoid system which has the benefit of allowing the lens to focus closer than a rangefinder (and similar, ie Contax G) lens usually does. It does not give any form of AF, but bypasses the normal Contax G focusing mechanism.

Normally Contax G adapters have a built in focusing mechanism which couples with the AF focusing screw on the back of the Contax lens and allows a focusing range similar the intended range (but not AF!).

monza

I am unaware of any Contax G to NEX adapter from Hawk.

Hawk does have a Leica M adapter with a helical.

ebay: hawks_factory

Martin S

monza:

That ebay "address" doesn't work.

Any other address????

Also, any suggestions for a NEX adapter for Contax G lenses where you focus the adapter, and not the lens????

Thanks.

Martin

monza

hawks_factory is his ebay name.

http://bit.ly/sGdZkB

As far as I know, every Contax G adapter has its own focus ring, as the Contax G lenses themselves do not. I have used the Kipon successfuly.

alphaman

It is not possible to focus a Contax G lens on the lens in the conventional way. There is no focusing ring. The Contax G lenses were designed as AF only. The only way to focus is to turn the focusing screw on the back of the lens - normally done by the AF mechanism of the camera.

Thus, all NEX - Contax G adapters have to use some form of a focusing ring (or similar) built into the adapter to focus the lens. This may seem awkward, but in practice it is alright. My hand naturally wants to be slightly further forward, but it's OK really.

You've got to bear in mind that the Contax lenses were never designed for this purpose, whilst Leica and Voigtlander lenses were made in a more conventional way and so adapt more easily to being used on a NEX.

I chose Contax G simply because they are relatively cheap and superb quality compared to the equally superb , but much more expensive Leica optics.

As to adapters, I got a no-name Chinese adapter off Ebay which has proved quite satisfactory although a friends one wasn't quite so good. The contax lenses are a bit fiddly to mount on the adapter (don't give up straight away), so practice until you get the technique!