The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 Sonnar available at B and H

jfirneno

Just got mine at B&H too. Steve Huff sent out an e-mail alert saying it was in stock. But it looks like it's already sold out now! I hope it's all it's cracked up to be. It's my Christmas present to myself! Now I've got to break the news to the wife!

jfirneno

t_streng wrote "so how do you like it?"

The guy at B&H said it's going out in the mail this afternoon. I think I'll have it by Thursday. Hope it's good.

philber

I collected my long-awaited one, confident that I had the perfect solution for low light, for AF, and my favorite FL. Even did a comparison test against other lenses to verify my initial impression. It is the first Zeiss lens that I try but don't buy (I own 11).

Paratom

I collected my long-awaited one, confident that I had the perfect solution for low light, for AF, and my favorite FL. Even did a comparison test against other lenses to verify my initial impression. It is the first Zeiss lens that I try but don't buy (I own 11).
Why?

philber

I am not one to look for extreme corer sharpness wide open and such performance, which only affects part of a picture and not all pictures. I am very sensitive to colours, contrast, shadings, detail, rendering style, all of which affect 100% of all my pics. I set up a comparison between 3 alt lenses, the ZA 24 and the Sony kit zoom. Not only did I rate the ZA less than the 3 alt, but I felt it was closer to the zoom than to the alt trio. Only my personal opinion, of course, others are free to feel otherwise.

GrahamB

Not only did I rate the ZA less than the 3 alt, but I felt it was closer to the zoom than to the alt trio. Only my personal opinion, of course, others are free to feel otherwise.
I assume you mean the ZE (rather than ZA) 24mm designed for the NEX E mount and not the ZA 24mm f/2?

Graham

philber

To the best of my knowledge, ZE lenses are for EF (Canon) mount, and ZA for Sony. In any case, I am talking about the new 24mm f:1.8 E-mount for NEX. Sorry if that was not clear and created confusion.

Paratom

I am not one to look for extreme corer sharpness wide open and such performance, which only affects part of a picture and not all pictures. I am very sensitive to colours, contrast, shadings, detail, rendering style, all of which affect 100% of all my pics. I set up a comparison between 3 alt lenses, the ZA 24 and the Sony kit zoom. Not only did I rate the ZA less than the 3 alt, but I felt it was closer to the zoom than to the alt trio. Only my personal opinion, of course, others are free to feel otherwise.
I only know I like it better than the zoom at 24mm, and did some "quick & dirty" between the M9 with a 35SummiluxFLE and the 24/1.8 on the 5n and found the Nex combo to perform pretty good.
All first impression anyways.

The other thing is that compared to a 20/1.7 lens on a G3 the size difference is very big..

jfirneno

Had a chance to take a few test shots today with the 24 on my 5N. My impression is that it's sharp across the frame right from F1.8. The photos are pretty mundane (townscape shots in dreary New England winter) so it's hard to get very excited about the photos but from what I see, the lens is excellent. I'm guessing that some of the highly creative folks on this site will be able to produce some splendid pictures when they get this lens. And I'll be able to improve my wide angle shots a little bit too.

Regards,
John

philip_pj

Hi philippe, very interested to hear your thoughts on the new 24mm E Sonnar. I share your photographic priorities, and if you visit again, I would be interested to know more - which alts did better for you, and what shortcomings did you find in the 24/1.8? I do believe that CZ are tuning lenses to markets, and especially with 'collaborator' Sony.

philber

Hi Philip,

Overall, the best alt I tried was the Leica Elmar 24mm f:3.5. Despite the modest specification, a fantastic lens IMHO. This was confirmed by Boris (bobu) who says it is the best Leica WA ever, except for the 21 Super Elmar, and Lloyd Chambers wrote pretty much the same.
Marginally less remarkable, my Contax G 45 and then the G 28. One very small step below those, a Leica 35 Summicron. That was the top bunch.
The next bunch consisted of a Contax C/Y 25 and a Leica 28 pre-Asph Summicron.
The Zeiss ZM 25 presented some compatibility issues with the NEX 5N, so was ruled out despite its formidable reputation.
The kit zoom did remarkably well, considering the competition it was up against, confirming my very positive opinion of it.
The ZA 24 (and I tried two copies, which performed identically) showed only one problem, that of CA. But that can be corrected in PP, so that is not the issue. My first impression was that this lens underexposed, which is technically impossible with a LiveView camera, at least to my understanding. Hence the desire to compare, which I don't usually do. This showed that the ZA 24's pictures were indeed darker than those of other lenses, a darkness that I couldn't correct to my satisfaction in PP. They have some kind of darkish hue, not unlike, for want of a better description, of a grey and gloomy day with low clouds and rain in late autumn.
The other and main issue is that what I saw was just not good enough. Neither the colours, the contrast the rendering made the picture appealing enough. I posted them on another forum and members concurred, some being even much more severe than I and claiming that I was being too Neiss with Zeiss.
Hence I did not buy it, and ordered the Leica 24.
To be complete, I should add that the two ZA lenses I tried but did not buy were since purchased by people who are happy with them, and that there are other ZA 24 owners reporting their satisfaction on the Net, including here. It may be that my being used to seeing shots from superlative lenses with my 5N (Contax G, ZM 18, Leica R Makro) has made me more sensitive/demanding/intolerant than is good for me. Or maybe the ZA 24 is particularly well tuned for the NEX 7. Or...
Hope this helps...

V

Vivek

Hi Philip,

Overall, the best alt I tried was the Leica Elmar 24mm f:3.5. Despite the modest specification, a fantastic lens IMHO.
Would care to expand on what you use your lenses for? Obviously, the f/3.5 Elmar is a very slow compared to the E-Sonnar 24/1.8. What sort of comparisons you make?

Detailing this (make a separate thread if you care) would help spare the redundant posts starting with, "I am sorry.. " and ending with "...ZA is no good".

BTW, what is an "alt"?

PeterA

I picked up a copy of this lens this afternoon and will make some shots.

However I can already confirm that the auto focus + focus peeking + magnified manual focusing capability with this lens attached is better and easier than the only focus peeking capability of the camera when using adapted lenses. It is a surprisingly large lens on the Nex body longer than my Leica M lenses - but it isn't as heavy as a Leica. It is also an incredibly close focusing lens.