The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Contax G/Leica M Conversion from rangefinderforums

monza

Currently there are two firms that modify Contax G lenses to Leica M. Hawk (Taiwan) whom I represent, and MS Optical is the other (Japan.)

The conversion as shown in the photos above takes an original G lens, removes the rear part of the lens barrel (including the Contax bayonet, autofocusing gearing and AF drive screw) and replaces it with a standard helical, a coupled rangefinder cam, and Leica M bayonet. The optics module (the glass) and the front part of the lens (aperture ring, filter thread, and retaining ring with the Zeiss text) remain as they were originally and are not disassembled. The original leftover parts can be retained in case the owner wants to reverse the process.

The MS Optical conversion as listed on the Japan Exposures website completely disassembles the optics from the original barrel, which is then discarded. The individual glass elements are then remounted in a different barrel, with a helical, RF cam, and aperture ring.

The MS Optical conversion has rather challenging ergonomics similar to old Leica screw mount lenses. The aperture ring has no click stops, for example, and will rotate when the lens is focused. The apertures appear in the reverse order from the original lenses. Ken Rockwell has done a review of the MS Optical conversions and gives more detail.

The Hawk conversion is a more 'normal' feeling lens. The aperture ring is the same as it was on the Contax G cameras...it doesn't rotate when the lens focuses, and the helical has a good feel and grip.

Several getdpi members have used the prototype 45/2, it's gone from Washington to Arizona to California to NYC to Hawaii, and every seems to really like it.

Here are some pics that Ashwin took with it:

http://bit.ly/zXnhzr

And more here:

http://bit.ly/KZ05No

Feel free to contact me, email is best: robert.jagitsch (at) gmail.com

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I was one of the members who tested the prototype Hawk conversion of the 45 f/2 Planar. I used the lens on my Sony 5N and on my Leica M6ttl. I was very happy with how it worked and what it produced. I have sent my 35 f/2 Planar in for conversion. It should be back soon and I can't wait to post photos from it.

mazor

monza, thanks for that very informative post ;)

Its good to know what the end result from each mod, reading ken rockwells post on this is interesting and informative.

So obviously hawks mod will result in a near perfect conversion whereby the lens barrel does not rotate and the original aperture is retained. Many thanks again for the info

mazor

I'm confused. Who did your conversion?
I have no conversion yet but seriously thinking of getting into the contax line of things. Have been pondering just getting a contax g 90mm and adapt it to nex using metabones fancy adapter, but although I do like the larger focus ring it adds, it does make the camera setup look kind of strange. The other brand converter focus ring I read was hard to turn, and during my search ups for adapting I came across the japanese conversion site, of which after reading Monza's explanation does not sound so attractive now.

Taylor Sherman

I have no conversion yet but seriously thinking of getting into the contax line of things. Have been pondering just getting a contax g 90mm and adapt it to nex using metabones fancy adapter, but although I do like the larger focus ring it adds, it does make the camera setup look kind of strange. The other brand converter focus ring I read was hard to turn, and during my search ups for adapting I came across the japanese conversion site, of which after reading Monza's explanation does not sound so attractive now.
Ah, sorry, totally got "monza" and "mazor" confused in my head :)

B

blargh

Currently there are two firms that modify Contax G lenses to Leica M. Hawk (Taiwan) whom I represent, and MS Optical is the other (Japan.)

Hi Monza,

Any word on whether Hawk has considered producing a Contax-G to NEX adapter with a built-in helical, similar to their M adapter, which would allow focusing without using the internal Contax G mechanism?

alahome

He has a ebay store to sell his adapter(Hawk's M-NEX). Send him a message and he will reply to you quickly. But please be aware of timezone as he is in Taiwan China. It will be around 12hours gap.:watch::deadhorse::watch:

I've tried multiple ways to get a quote on my 90mm contax conversion and not response. :(