The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony 24mm lens for sale

philber

I tried not one, but two copies. I needed that to decide I had finally met my first Zeiss lens that I wouldnt buy. For reference, I own 11, out of 13 I bought. Major disappointment. Though I know others are as pleased as punch.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I tried not one, but two copies. I needed that to decide I had finally met my first Zeiss lens that I wouldnt buy. For reference, I own 11, out of 13 I bought. Major disappointment. Though I know others are as pleased as punch.
Likewise I am interested in your findings . The LL test was impressive but I have also seen some distortion in some of the early images elsewhere ?

philber

I set up a comparison of as many relevant lenses as I could find, because early shots with the 24 were unconvicing. This from a guy show basically sold his sould to Zeiss.
Over two days, I used the kit zoom, two copies of the 24, a Leica 24 Elmar f:3.4, a C/Y 25, a Contax G 28. Basically, there is nothing wrong with the ZA 24 IMHO, there is just not enough that is right. Yes, it has more CA than I would like, but that can be corrected. Yes, the extreme corners aren't quite crisp enough at f:5.6, but, it is only the extreme corners. No, what turned me off was the general look of the pics. Colours were darker than those of the other lenses, as though it caused underexposure. Contrast was less than the others. Rendering was not partcularly detailed. Overall, results were less good than those of all the other alt lenses, and closer to the kit zoom's. That is far from good enough to get me to buy.

Paratom

I set up a comparison of as many relevant lenses as I could find, because early shots with the 24 were unconvicing. This from a guy show basically sold his sould to Zeiss.
Over two days, I used the kit zoom, two copies of the 24, a Leica 24 Elmar f:3.4, a C/Y 25, a Contax G 28. Basically, there is nothing wrong with the ZA 24 IMHO, there is just not enough that is right. Yes, it has more CA than I would like, but that can be corrected. Yes, the extreme corners aren't quite crisp enough at f:5.6, but, it is only the extreme corners. No, what turned me off was the general look of the pics. Colours were darker than those of the other lenses, as though it caused underexposure. Contrast was less than the others. Rendering was not partcularly detailed. Overall, results were less good than those of all the other alt lenses, and closer to the kit zoom's. That is far from good enough to get me to buy.
I do not doubt your findings but at the same time I can not come to the same conclusions so far.
With the limited experience with the lens I can not find anything wrong with it, and find an f1.8 lens a very good addition to the kit zoom... the kit for flexibility and the 24/1.8 for low light.
One thing I dont like (besides price) is size.

philber

t_streng, you are most welcome to enjoy your new ZA 24. I would be sorry to ruin your pleasure. All the more so as I do not have a copyright on "the truth", whatever this can mean, talking about the subjective virtues -or lack of- of rarefied lenses.
That said, we agree on the fact that there is nothing wrong with this lens. But being part of a forum means, to my understanding, sharing your results, and offering opinions. I have done it, so that other members can make informed decisions. When I posted the pics on another forum, many members agreed with my assessment, some even more severe than I in their judgement. While another member posted his own comparisons of a ZA 24 against a ZM 25, and he is very pleased with his results, as are you. In a way, that makes me happy, because, should others buy ZA 24s and be disappointed, I will not feel guilty for not telling them, because I would have been too Neiss with Zeiss...:), from whom I have bought many delightful lenses. Bt this one does not even come close IMHO.
Have fun! Prove me wrong, and I will be happy to eat my words publicly and buy a ZA 24!
Have fun!

etrigan63

Very impressive panos! I was informed that a slick trick for better aspected panos is to set the NEX to vertical stitch and then sweep sideways in the direction of the arrow in the portrait orientation.

philber

sorry to disagree, but all these panos show is how good thephotographer is, and he is very good. With this level of size and resolution, the kit lens would look very good too. Only a comparison with other high-spec lenses, can reveal how good the ZA 24 is -or not-.

Paratom

t_streng, you are most welcome to enjoy your new ZA 24. I would be sorry to ruin your pleasure. All the more so as I do not have a copyright on "the truth", whatever this can mean, talking about the subjective virtues -or lack of- of rarefied lenses.
That said, we agree on the fact that there is nothing wrong with this lens. But being part of a forum means, to my understanding, sharing your results, and offering opinions. I have done it, so that other members can make informed decisions. When I posted the pics on another forum, many members agreed with my assessment, some even more severe than I in their judgement. While another member posted his own comparisons of a ZA 24 against a ZM 25, and he is very pleased with his results, as are you. In a way, that makes me happy, because, should others buy ZA 24s and be disappointed, I will not feel guilty for not telling them, because I would have been too Neiss with Zeiss...:), from whom I have bought many delightful lenses. Bt this one does not even come close IMHO.
Have fun! Prove me wrong, and I will be happy to eat my words publicly and buy a ZA 24!
Have fun!
Nothing wrong with not liking the lens.
As long as I dont see anything wrong with a lens I normally dont feel the need for shooting comparisons. I dont see any reason to try to convince anybody about that 24mm lens thats why I wont spend any time to shoot that lens side by side with the 24mm Leica M lens.
I just feel the same like you - being part of the forum I write my opinion and experience - so I will not feel guilt if people dont buy the lens and miss something ;) just kidding.
For me its 2.5 f-stop faster than the kit lens, its AF, its sharp wide open, the bokeh looks fine, to me the corners look fine as well, I cant see anything wrong with the color - so what.
I saw MR comparison-so yes, maybe if you shoot a tree into the sun there might be better lenses - but usually I dont shoot a tree into the sun at f1.8
For my taste I prefer AF lenses on the NEX, even if I use MF in some situations.
And really, I fully accept you dont like the lens-it would be a boring world if we all would like the same things.
Tom

Terry

Very impressive panos! I was informed that a slick trick for better aspected panos is to set the NEX to vertical stitch and then sweep sideways in the direction of the arrow in the portrait orientation.
Correct on in camera aspect ratio but these are full resolution stitches (He said some files sizes are 150mb). The in camera panos are not made the same way.

Terry

sorry to disagree, but all these panos show is how good thephotographer is, and he is very good. With this level of size and resolution, the kit lens would look very good too. Only a comparison with other high-spec lenses, can reveal how good the ZA 24 is -or not-.
Who are you in disagreement with? My sentence was here are some samples. I never made a quality judgement and said they weren't full size.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Nothing wrong with not liking the lens.
As long as I dont see anything wrong with a lens I normally dont feel the need for shooting comparisons. I dont see any reason to try to convince anybody about that 24mm lens thats why I wont spend any time to shoot that lens side by side with the 24mm Leica M lens.
I just feel the same like you - being part of the forum I write my opinion and experience - so I will not feel guilt if people dont buy the lens and miss something ;) just kidding.
For me its 2.5 f-stop faster than the kit lens, its AF, its sharp wide open, the bokeh looks fine, to me the corners look fine as well, I cant see anything wrong with the color - so what.
I saw MR comparison-so yes, maybe if you shoot a tree into the sun there might be better lenses - but usually I dont shoot a tree into the sun at f1.8
For my taste I prefer AF lenses on the NEX, even if I use MF in some situations.
And really, I fully accept you dont like the lens-it would be a boring world if we all would like the same things.
Tom
My sentiments too about the 24. It is not a Leica lens but it is quite good.

Paratom

My sentiments too about the 24. It is not a Leica lens but it is quite good.
I also own a Leica 24mm lens and I rather would use the 24 Zeiss lens on the Nex for most occasions because its AF and MF, focuses very close and I really dont see (so far?) how the Leica would blow the Zeiss away.

philber

Who are you in disagreement with? My sentence was here are some samples. I never made a quality judgement and said they weren't full size.
Actually, I was disagreeing with etrigan who, following your post, commented "very impressive panos". Sorry if my post caused confusion.