The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A question for users of Sony NEX with remote...

• Thread starter MarcoVenturiniAutieri
  • Start date
M

MarcoVenturiniAutieri

Hello photographers,

I have a NEX-5, the Sony remote, a few lenses that I use with it, adapted from either Contax or Nikon - so, no Sony NEX lenses and therefore no autofocus.

I would like to buy an autofocus lens for self portraits!

As you know, normally - by pressing the shutter button on the camera halfway - you activate the autofocus, then you take the picture by pressing it completely.

Such a thing is certainly not possible with the remote SHUTTER button - which is either pressed or not pressed! I own the original SONY remote.

I would like to know and ask you what happens when you press the SHUTTER button on the remote with an autofocus lens:

• does it focus and then releases the shutter?
  • if so, would I need to keep the SHUTTER button pressed?
  • does it simply release the shutter, without focusing?

I would also like to know the same thing when, instead of the SHUTTER button, you use the remote button for a delayed operation.

I am asking these questions because I would like to take self-portraits and I need to understand whether I could benefit from autofocus - if I that is the case, I would consider purchasing a NEX lens!

Thanks!

Marco

yes it will focus before shooting. you can specify a focus point and it will use it. try it at a local shop for yourself.

M

MarcoVenturiniAutieri

Hi Ken,
Thanks.
Weird - I'd asked the same question in another forum, and somebody told me that a NEX-5N would NOT focus before shooting. I am puzzled now.
Can you tell me whether to have it the way you say you have to keep the SHUTTER remote button while it focuses? or just once?
Thanks
Marco

M

MarcoVenturiniAutieri

So, I haven't understood yet this point: do I have to keep the SHUTTER remote button pressed until the shutter completes the focusing and fires, or I only press it once shortly?

Lonnie Utah

If you are in Continuous AF mode, you only have to push the button once.

The downside it it will drain your battery faster.