The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Quentin_Bargate

Danny, I can't believe what you are doing with the NEX-7 and Canon lenses. Great bird shots. likewise Mike and hiepphotog at the other end of the distance spectrum., Ustein, everyone, great work. :)

N

nzmacro

Danny, I can't believe what you are doing with the NEX-7 and Canon lenses. Great bird shots. likewise Mike and hiepphotog at the other end of the distance spectrum., Ustein, everyone, great work. :)
Thanks Quentin, appreciated but nature does its bit and I just get to push the button. There does seem to be an issue with some Sony lenses with the 7's sensor out resolving them, but the long fast lenses just love that sensor...and so do I.

Keith, love that low perspective and that wide look. Nice work on that and I've always wondered about those converters, so great to see thanks.

Ustein is Ustein unless it was Uve and he always delvers unique views and shots and always top class at that.

Some great stuff in here and I'm slowly going through it all :), taking awhile

All the best folks, keep them coming.

Danny.

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm probably outside the mold here, but i find it useful to use the nex 7 with studio flash.

i am using manual node, G or M lenses, set shutter to 1/250, sony hotshoe-pc adapter manual focus of course...but here is the rub: I have to set the shutter to 1/8 or so to see in the LCD (modeling lights), then re-set to 1/250 for the shot. works fine, but is this the way to do it?

V

Vivek

This has been answered (by Douglas) earlier.

Go to the settings menu, find the settings effect and turn it off (make sure to turn it back on when not using studio flash other wise the actual WB and what you see are completely different!).

jlm

Workshop Member
thx

setup/liveview display/setting effect off

not sure what this actually does, but now i see at full brightness (LCD adjust itself and shows a histogram of the scene as the LCD displays it) but the histo and LCD are not affected by shutter or aperture settings...I assume that is what "setting effect off" means.

I'm not seeing a metering indicator, guess that is off as well oops! it is there

still have some fiddling to do

Last edited:

douglasf13

Yep, that's the point. Turning the effect off disengages the LCD preview and histogram from your exposure settings, so that you have a usable view for using strobes in M mode.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
. .. . Keith, love that low perspective and that wide look. Nice work on that and I've always wondered about those converters, so great to see thanks . . ..

Danny.
Thanks Danny. The Sony 16mm with and without converter gives just a trace of magenta in the far corners, but I don't worry about it (it usually gets cropped out). The lens and the combination are pretty sharp across a lot of the image.

Here is another one

Keith

M

Melilot29

Awesome. Enjoy the new camera. It seems worth it. I am waiting for my kit to come.

PenSon

Evening photo with Pentax FA43mm lens at aperture 4.
Some fujicolor added with DxO filmpack 3.0

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks to a tip from Vivek (edit: it was actually Hot who pointed out this lens), I picked up a CCTV 35mm f1.7 lens ($32 on ebay!) with NEX adapter. This lens is fun/quirky to use at f1.7. There is some magenta shift in the corners, and anything outside the center of the image is quite blurry at f1.7, but you can get some really fun shots.

Here are some samples from a stormy day at the beach:

Last edited:

Paratom

Thanks to a tip from Vivek, I picked up a CCTV 35mm f1.7 lens ($32 on ebay!) with NEX adapter. This lens is fun/quirky to use at f1.7. There is some magenta shift in the corners, and anything outside the center of the image is quite blurry at f1.7, but you can get some really fun shots.

Here are some samples from a stormy day at the beach:

Hi Mike, lovely! I wonder why I spent the money for a Noctilux if images like this can be done with a $32 lens. Wow!

N

nzmacro

Yat, gorgeous macro shots and excellent timing. Nice selective focus and have to love those colours.

Keith, another fine wide shots. At this rate you will have me going wide for a change. i like the colours in that and the perspective.

Penson, nice soft light and a great comp

Mike, all fine shots, but I'm another huge fan of that last shot !!

Danny.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
OK, a few more thoughts and shots from my day at the beach with the CCTV 35/1.7...

The lens has a stepless (continuous) aperture, so unless you're wide open, you don't know exactly what the aperture is set to. The scale is tough to read with any precision, especially at the closed end, so you could easily be off by whole stops.

If you close the aperture all the way down, it make a rectangular-shaped pin-hole, however I couldn't get any pinhole photos to turn out, maybe because the pinhole is too close to the sensor to get light all the way across the sensor.

Here are some more samples...

@ f1.7:

@ f1.7:

@ f8 (notice the edges are still blurred at f8):

@ ~f5.6

@ ~f8:

@ ~f8:

jlm

Workshop Member
Hey Mike! looks like you're still having fun in Cali!

I'm trying out the Nex-7 considering it for a college grad gift for my youngest (22yrs). also the Fuji Xpro, i see you switched, any comments?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Hey John. If your college grad is a minimalist (i.e. enjoys shooting leica rangefinders), and cares foremost about image quality, then you're probably better off with the Fuji Xpro1.

There are a couple of reasons that I went with the NEX-7 instead of the XPRO1...

First, there's a wider selection of AF lenses at the moment, although it's still a pretty limited set. There's also a wider selection of NEX adapters for MF lenses, although I'm sure there will soon be plenty of those for the XPRO1 as well.

But for me the biggest reason is the LEA-2 adapter. With that adapter, I can mount my Sony/Minolta SLR lenses, and get full phase-detect auto-focus.

I still shoot a bit of sports here and there (my daughter plays soccer), so this versatility is a big plus for me. I mount my Sony G 70-400 on the adapter, and can shoot soccer games at 10 fps and phase-detect focus. Try doing that with an XPRO1 :)

I really liked the hybrid finder on my X100, and if I was only doing travel/documentary/street photography, I'd probably pick the XPRO1 over the NEX-7. But the NEX is a more versatile system.

One final note - if your college graduate is a casual shooter, you might consider the NEX-5N instead of the NEX-7. Smaller, great IQ, and less finicky about wide-angle lenses.