The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Took a bike ride around Watsonville, CA today (strawberry capital of the world), and took these shots with my Voigtlander 35 Ultron...

And one from last night on the beach (also from the 35 Ultron):

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono - I love your last set of images. The colors really pop, and the look from those lenses is so lush.

m_driscoll

HI Matt
Those are great - are you pleased with the Sigma?
I'm not even sure if it's available over here....
Jono: I am. Seems well built and the IQ's pretty good. Nicely sized and priced. The 19mm and the 30mm were last week's lens 'fix' (this week's, so far, is the Sony 70-300mm). Ashwin showed me his 'new' Leica 80mm f/1.4 Summilux-R on his Nex 7, yesterday! What's that...80 more lenses to look at? :D

Great shots with the R-lenses and the newest series with the Hawks adapter. It's fun to see your beautiful bucolic imagery. :clap:

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

jonoslack

Jono:
Great shots with the R-lenses and the newest series with the Hawks adapter. It's fun to see your beautiful bucolic imagery. :clap:

Cheers, Matt
Thank you Matt
I might check out the Sigmas . . . . $1000 question . . . . are they better than the kit lens?

Having travelled the lens route, here are some with the Zeiss 24 f1.8 (what a nice lens it is).

Easter with the Zeiss 24mm @ 1.8

I really enjoy the NEX 7's ability to grab a quick close focus shot without the user fiddling with menus and buttons. What you don't see in these photos are all the parents on the other side of the petting zoo pen, drinking adult libations and having a generally pleasant time. The ability to turn away from a conversation as a moment catches my eye and lazily position the camera at kid level using the LCD, with all the confidence in the world that the Zeiss and 7 combo is going to return a stellar shot, is truly excellent.

douglasf13

Thank you Matt
I might check out the Sigmas . . . . $1000 question . . . . are they better than the kit lens?

Big time, especially the 30mm. The 30mm is very sharp across the frame on NEX at all apertures, from what I can tell so far. I've decided to put together an AF lens lineup, and the 19mm, 30mm, and Sony 24 and 50, seems that it'll be a great, versatile lineup. The 19mm is the least impressive, but, compared to any other wides I've used on NEX, it's pretty good at the edges. Just not great. In the middle parts of the frame, it is very sharp.

For $400 for the pair, I think the two "Sigmarits" are hard to ignore. :)

retow

On Saturday, I walked into a local camera store to see whether they had a Fuji XPro to try and left with a Nex 7 and kit lens. I'm impressed how much thought and innovation Sony put behind the new NEX concept, particularly the UI with all the manual controls is quite revolutionary.
I'm waiting for the Novoflex m-adapter to arrive and trying to find a Zeiss 24mm (maybe I will settle for the 19mm and 30mm Sigmas instead). A few shots with the kit lens from yesterday, No1 is cropped, B&W conversions with Silver Efex Pro.

Last edited:

Rich M

Big time, especially the 30mm. The 30mm is very sharp across the frame on NEX at all apertures, from what I can tell so far. I've decided to put together an AF lens lineup, and the 19mm, 30mm, and Sony 24 and 50, seems that it'll be a great, versatile lineup. The 19mm is the least impressive, but, compared to any other wides I've used on NEX, it's pretty good at the edges. Just not great. In the middle parts of the frame, it is very sharp.

For $400 for the pair, I think the two "Sigmarits" are hard to ignore. :)
I received the both today and just played briefly with the 30rit before the sun went down. Very compact......I like the colors.....seems sharp enough for me.

It has this weird rattle though........just KIDDING ;)

I'll tell you, autofocus is pretty nice for a change.

R

PS.....Douglas.....where did you find the 50mm? Can't find one anywhere except Asia and there is a $100 premium.

douglasf13

Yeah, I got the 30mm today, and it is fantastically sharp across the frame. Very nice.

I paid $60 more than I should have for the 50mm at Digital Rev, although I got the 30mm for $10 less than retail from them, so I ended up spending $50 extra to have them now. Probably not a brilliant idea, but I just sold a bunch of rangefinder lenses, so I had the money burning a hole through my pocket. :)

m_driscoll

Jono: Actually, it's only a $450 question. The Zeiss 24 f/1.8 is clearly the pick of the litter, but, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Sigmas. I haven't used it in awhile, so, I'm going to try the Sony 30mm f/3.5 macro again tomorrow.

The 1st and the 4th are my favorites of your 24 f/1.8 shots! :thumbup:

Show Performance: Great series! :clap:

Taylor: I really like the color and shadows in the first one. "Ballard Transfer"? You must be just over the hill from me? :thumbup:

Retow: Congratulations! I think you made the right choice. :D Excellent photos and pp. :thumbup:

Here's me (first photo), shot with my Nex 7 and Sigma 30mm by Mark V. The second is a close crop of the earlier dog shot with the Sigma 19mm.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Last edited:

Taylor Sherman

Thanks Matt! - my current fave is the "POSTED" shot, of that set.

Yeah, I saw another photographer across the way at one point when I was out on this excursion, then later saw your Sigma shots online and wondered if that was you. But looks like you stuck around the Fremont area. Eventually I may run out of things to shoot in Ballard and end up invading your turf! ;-)

jonoslack

Hi Taylor
I like the BOSS one best . . . but just to prove that I don't always use colour, here are three shots from today converted in Silver efex pro.
All with the 24 Zeiss.

Thanks all!

retow - I saw the same thing happen at the local camera shop here - Precision. I was looking at the X-Pro since they had one in the case, and I wanted to see if it felt any better than the X100. The guy at the counter was finishing up his conversation with the clerk and the jist of it was - "Man, I really was set on the X-Pro but the 7 won me over..." He also walked out with the 7 kit lens. Wait, was that you!? :)

Chad

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have a NEX 7 coming, as well as that el cheapo Sigma 30/2.8—I think the form factor will be just right for the one-lens-take-everywhere camera I have been trying to put together.

I handled an XPro-1 in Torino while I was working there; beautiful camera; great ergonomics and interface, but honestly just too big for what I have been trying to put together, especially with the 35mm lens. Now, we're not talking about a HUGE difference, but enough of one to go with the NEX.

A side note: I am keeping the GXR and the M-module: it is outstanding in many ways, especially with the 12 and 15 CV UWAs. I bought the new A16 zoom module (I had ordered it as soon as they were announced from PopFlash), but with the NEX/Sigma on the way, will be putting up on B/S.