The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

sflxn

This is what I get for preordering on Amazon. Never again. Two products, a hot android tablet and the NEX 7. I have neither nor any indications of when they will ship.

The images from that Zeiss 24mm look surprisingly good. Good enough for me to keep watching BH for NEX 7 body only kit and the Zeiss. Anyone using Nikon lenses with the NEX? If so, which adapters do you recommend?

Quentin_Bargate

From New Year's Eve, a shot with the Nex-7, Zeiss 85mm F1.4 with adapter, 1600ISO at F1.7 1/40 of my eldest son Alex who entertained us all with some amazing guitar playing.

Michiel Schierbeek

Went out with the NEX 7 in the drizzling rain.
No problems with the menue system and everything works fine.
Nicely designed body but ergonomicly speaking I prefer the Ricoh in the hand.
It is far less a box with sharp corners.
In standard mode the colours are a little different between the 2.
But I had very little time to play around. I didn't want my brandnew baby to get wet.
Viewfinder is bigger and focus peaking a little better but not much.
Shutter release sound is twice as loud as the Ricoh.
Handling with all the dials is real nice.
Image quality; can't say much about it yet the that it looks really good.
Can't compare certain lenses yet due a lack of adapters.
But I am really content with both cameras.

Here are two pics from today, nothing special with my kitlens.

Michiel

V

Vivek

Michiel, It must be your post processing that makes the weather look way more cheerful than it is! ;)

Are these from your GXR or the new NEX-7? Not being a nit-pick, just want to clarify.

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, It must be your post processing that makes the weather look way more cheerful than it is! ;)

Are these from your GXR or the new NEX-7? Not being a nit-pick, just want to clarify.
:loco: NEX 7 :cool: Framework was still in GXR mode :)
Thanks, I am going to change that.
It has been changed!

Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
It's going to be interesting to see how you will spend your time between these two cameras, Michiel. Should be lots of fun.

Keith

Terry

Flew back to SF this AM where I had my lenses. Grabbed the kit lens and my Contax G 35mm and went out for some brunch.

And one very confused urban hummingbird that was attracted to the colors. This definitely took me by surprise! I got a few shots of the bird but the angles were a mess. Didn't have my NEX 7 decisive moment shooting locked in yet. :rolleyes:

jonoslack

Great stuff Terry
Love the jug, and I always love graffiti - the hummingbird is great . . . maybe you needed a different lens though!
Sometimes the remarkable is the unphotographable!

Uwe - do you have a NEX7 yet, or are you finally going to give something a miss!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Uwe - do you have a NEX7 yet, or are you finally going to give something a miss!

I will try a friends. Not sure right now. I kind of expect Canon and Fuji to bring new interesting cameras.

Quentin_Bargate

Love the graffiti shots :)

Today the sun has finally come out. Here are a few of the first low ISO shots I have been able to take with the Nex-7 and Kit lens

Bit of fill flash with the built in unit next

One of the things I am noticing is that the kit lens is reaching its limits. The edges really cannnot cope adequately with 24mp. Photoshop CS5 lens correction helps by successfully removing all CA and correcting for distortion but cannot help with the fall off in sharpness towards the edges.

Michiel Schierbeek

Took the NEX 7 with the Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 out to the harbour and really enjoyed the combination.
The lens is long but thin and no problem to shoot out of hand. Only the last one was on a tripod because it was getting dark.
Fantastic combination for this kind of work.
The NEX is a joy to work with.

Michiel

jonoslack

Love the graffiti shots :)

Today the sun has finally come out. Here are a few of the first low ISO shots I have been able to take with the Nex-7 and Kit lens

One of the things I am noticing is that the kit lens is reaching its limits. The edges really cannnot cope adequately with 24mp. Photoshop CS5 lens correction helps by successfully removing all CA and correcting for distortion but cannot help with the fall off in sharpness towards the edges.
HI Quentin
Agree about the kit lens - but I think it's a 'glass half full' issue - seems remarkable to me that it does as well as it does. That's a lot of baler twine you have . . .and that looks like a nice (if rather muddy) horse - have you started riding again? :deadhorse::ROTFL:

. . . incidentally I'm still at it (riding that is)

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Jono

No, its the wife wot rides. My riding days are probably over! Her xmas present was a rather splendid new saddle.

We have a lot of bales...

Now, on that lens, you are right up to a point, but I am sure Sony could do a "G" lens version at twice the cost with better edge performance. I'd buy it if they did....and I'll wager most of us on this forum would too.

By the way, how long before Sigma or Tamron launch some E lenses?

And Michiel, interesting but clearly successful choice of lens with your Nex-7. I think though the 70-300 G would be a better bet. Used it with the Nex-5 with some success.

jonoslack

Took the NEX 7 with the Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 out to the harbour and really enjoyed the combination.
The lens is long but thin and no problem to shoot out of hand. Only the last one was on a tripod because it was getting dark.
Fantastic combination for this kind of work.
The NEX is a joy to work with.

Michiel
HI Michiel
I like the middle one especially.
I used to own that lens . . many years ago! Like you, I don't find longer lenses to be an issue on the NEX - just changes the centre of gravity, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. . . .
but you done me bad . . . now I'm thinking about an 80-200!

all the best

jonoslack

Busy today . . . very very busy:eek:

Still, I managed to get out for 1/2 hour just before sunset.

This guy insisted:

Leica R 28-90 1000 ISO 1/60th focus peaking means that the point of focus is actually on his eye - I don't think any AF system would do that for me!

Goldfinch - out of a dreary kitchen window - 18-200 1600 ISO

The crows are gathering for bed Leica R 28-90 100 ISO 1/200th 90mm

quiet sunset Leica R 28-90 100 ISO

Right - back to work :(