The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks for this pic Jono. I am thinking about this lens with NEX-7 (chauffeur is on its way) and skip the kitlens.
What do you think? Can it handle the resolution? This looks good but best is to see it life when you handle the RAW files.

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

Two 1600ISO shots with the kit zoom, first one has some Neat NR not least because it was quite underexposed, the second, none. Both from Raw files

The 1600ISO noise is even and grain like, so easy meat for Neat or similar. Useable

I notice the camera tends towards slight underexposure - or it might just be the dull flat lighting.

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

I would lean towards that thought.

(I have seen fine folks wasting a whole lot of time saying "my new camera under exposes".)
On reflection, I am sure this is right. The histo is concentrated in the middle, classic signs of low contrast lighting. Otherwise called England in Winter!

jonoslack

Grrrrr....this camera is so good I'm going to have to do a Jono and buy better lenses. :eek::ROTFL:
I wouldn't recommend the Leica 21-35 zoom (okay but not stellar)

on the other hand:
the 28-90 R zoom is fab
the 180 f2.8 APO R is also great

as for M lenses - important to get the Hawks Factory helicoid adaptor for these
16-18-21 WATE is good (even wide open)
24 'lux is excellent (corners fine, no colour cast)
50 'lux also great
50 f0.95 is wonderful

still to try:
28 'cron (I suspect this one)
90 slim Elmarit (sure it'll be good)
75 'cron (sure this'll be good too)

:ROTFL::ROTFL:
. . . . . but actually, the Sony lenses seem pretty good too, even the much maligned 16mm

hmmm add that up . . . no, on second thoughts please don't:eek:

Quentin_Bargate

I think I will stick to the Sony lenses - and others that come out in what is going to be a very popular mount. Those Leica efforts may be fab, but I'm not inclidned to buy them if I don't actually own a Leica. Better start saving!!!

Michiel Schierbeek

Yup, mine arrived :D

Battery is loading.....
Here is the kit I have to start with because the C/Y adapter is the only one I have now. A lot more are coming :) No Sony lenses yet.
I have 3 more Contax lenses, so enough to try out.

Have a pleasant evening!

(BTW Jono, I was talking about the pic of your nice cat with the Sony 18-200)

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

Tried the 85mm F1.4 A mount Zeiss lens using the original Sony A to E mount adapter (the one without the focus mechanism - its quite a bit smaller). Shot at F/1.6, 800ISO:

The 70-300G SSM will autofocus using the adapter because it has a built in motor, unlike the 85mm Zeis, but quite slowly (although accurately). Makes for a powerful, if somewhat large, zoom on the smaller sensor.

Quentin

Michiel Schierbeek

Tried the 85mm F1.4 A mount Zeiss lens using the original Sony A to E mount adapter (the one without the focus mechanism - its quite a bit smaller). Shot at F/1.6, 800ISO:

The 70-300G SSM will autofocus using the adapter because it has a built in motor, unlike the 85mm Zeis, but quite slowly (although accurately). Makes for a powerful, if somewhat large, zoom on the smaller sensor.

Quentin
That looks good. I was just wondering about that adapter.
So no autofocus for all the Zeiss A lenses?

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

Michiel

Sony make two adapters. The original one only autofocuses with SSM lenses, like the 70-300. The more recent one offers full autofocus with all lenses, but at a price - its much bigger and heavier because of the built-in motor. I don't want to add that extra weight, but I do want to be able to use my A mount lenses with the Nex-7. Quite handy, I'd say!

etrigan63

Michiel, there are two Alpha adapters: one without autofocus on all lenses and one with.

LA-EA1 = AF on SSM lenses
LA-EA2 = Phase detect AF on all lenses except teleconverters

Michiel Schierbeek

Ah thank you Quentin and Carlos.
I have seen that big adapter with that AF system but was not sure about that other one.
I am used to MF lenses, if that works with those beautiful Zeiss lenses, then I am fine with that. It gives all the other information, I presume.
So SSM lenses have all build in motors, I see.
Sony is a bit of a new camera department for me.

Michiel