The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Quentin_Bargate

My bad, Tamron have launched a 18-200mm E mount with very similar specs and price to the Sony version. Can't see the point; buy the Sony (is it any good??). Give me a smalller 18-100, 0r 16-80 or whatever and I'm all yours, Sigma / Tamron / Sony...

Ha Jono, weather near you very similar to me, unsurprisingly. Went for long-ish walk with family to pub in Finchingfield but did not take any shots. Yours are nice.

jonoslack

And Michiel, interesting but clearly successful choice of lens with your Nex-7. I think though the 70-300 G would be a better bet. Used it with the Nex-5 with some success.
Well - the AF will be better with the 70-300G - that's for sure! Actually, I do agree that it's a fine lens, but I've been finding that focusing with focus peaking is often preferable to AF - and if that's the case, you can just choose your favourite lens to go with it . . . . . I didn't use it today, but the 180 f2.8 APO R lens is a stellar companion!

The Sony 18-200 is better than it has a right to be - but it is quite big.

As for the riding - I rather like it - nobody gave me a lovely new saddle for christmas though! I'm actually trying to find one which will take a Leica M9 sized saddlebag - really not as easy as you might expect.

Michiel Schierbeek

Quentin, I suppose only with the new adapter I will get AF on the NEX?
And like Jono I don't see much advantage with this camere for autofocus for a lot of my kind of shooting.
For action yes, but I was thinking about the 18-200 for that. Actually I am half way buying it second hand. No adapter needed.
BTW there was a test, forgot where, but the Sony came out just a little bit better, the Tamron is a little slimmer and black, though.

Thanks, Jono, lots of smoke without smoking :)
Agree, it is an ideal MF camera too.
I like the crows; they got scared of the NEX shutter release ? :ROTFL:

Michiel

jonoslack

And like Jono I don't see much advantage with this camere for autofocus for a lot of my kind of shooting.
For action yes, but I was thinking about the 18-200 for that. Actually I am half way buying it second hand. No adapter needed.
I've started using MF on AF lenses . . . and on the A77 too - for so much of what I do it works just as well, and it's quite fast with a bit of practice

Thanks, Jono, lots of smoke without smoking :)
Agree, it is an ideal MF camera too.
I like the crows; they got scared of the NEX shutter release ? :ROTFL:

Michiel
:ROTFL: The shutter isn't too bad - and it's quite a good noise too.
I'd like to blame the dog - but at that time of evening the crows (rooks?) are swirling around before going back to the trees where they live.

Quentin_Bargate

And like Jono I don't see much advantage with this camere for autofocus for a lot of my kind of shooting. ....

Michiel
Hi Michiel

You get autofocus with SSM lenses with the "old" adapter. But it is quite slow (slower than on an "A" mount camera).

I also use manual focus quite a lot. 90% of the functions on the Nex 7 I won't use, but thankfully those I do need are easily accesible with the three dial system.

Quentin

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel

I also use manual focus quite a lot. 90% of the functions on the Nex 7 I won't use, but thankfully those I do need are easily accesible with the three dial system.

Quentin
Exactly my idea; ISO, WB, selftimer, Exposure compensation etc
Also I am curious at Sweep panorama, but it is probably a gimmick you only use a few times. At least I don't see many images posted with this function.

Here is one with a Yashica lens i still had laying around. Fits my only C/Y adapter.

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

Resistance is futile.... I have just ordered a Zeiss 24mm F1.8 lens for the Nex-7. hopefully this will be the lens that will do the sensor justice.

Will report back when I have the lens and have taken a few shots with it.v On the E mount it will give a slightly wide field of view, about the ideal focal length for me.

Quentin

jonoslack

Resistance is futile.... I have just ordered a Zeiss 24mm F1.8 lens for the Nex-7. hopefully this will be the lens that will do the sensor justice.
Still resisting here . . . I've got the A mount f2 version . . .and the Leica f1.4 version . . . more 24's seems a little excessive

I'll be interested to see how you get on though.

jonoslack

Hmmm - perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the R 21-35, I wasn't so impressed on the 5N, but it seems to have done better on the 7

here are a couple from today:
Exif information should be intact:

Knorp

That 21-35 is looking pretty good to my eyes, Jono.
Actually Erwin wrote in rather high praise of this lens !

Kinds regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Still resisting here . . . I've got the A mount f2 version . . .and the Leica f1.4 version . . . more 24's seems a little excessive

I'll be interested to see how you get on though.
Excuses, excuses. As far as I can see, you don't have an f/1.8 version. What's all this hesitating about, I wonder :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Excuses, excuses. As far as I can see, you don't have an f/1.8 version. What's all this hesitating about, I wonder :ROTFL:
:p I can use the f1.4 version at f1.8 can't I?
And why aren't you using a NEX I wonder? (is it the same reason that stops you driving hairy cars?)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Jono: in the first image above—is that a Massey Ferguson TEA-20??? I learned to drive on one of these... we lived "in the bush" in Australia, and the bush looks nothing like your countryside!

Anyhow, that lens looks fine on the '7'. Cheers, kl