The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

V

Vivek

Next time i visit Amsterdam, I will drop a line, Michiel. I recognize all your hangouts from your pictures! ;)

V

Vivek

Microscope mount? What is this mounted to?
RMS = Royal Microscopy Society aka "Royal Screw" 20mm

On that picture, it is sitting on top of some junk with a rear cover, unmounted.

Here, it is shown mounted on to a Hawk Peng Helicoid in E-mount (same size as the 16mm f/2.8 lens) via a Jinfinances RMS to M42 adapter. In the middle is the Olympus pen F pancake 38/2.8 and on the left is a Carl Zeiss S-Planar 32/4 (yet to be mounted in a helicoid).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-7, Olympus pen F 25/2.8 and a few unwieldy halogen lamps.

The 3.5cm Planar housed in the helicoid would focus to infinity but it only does well for close-ups and macros ("Madam Jeanette" above was shot with this).

Last edited:

Shashin

Vivek, those are really neat. I work a lot with compound microscopes and have never seen such objectives/lenses.

etrigan63

As promised, studio shots taken with the NEX-7 + Hongdak + RadioPopper arrangement that I previously showed. Only difference is that I used my Zuiko 135mm f/2.8 lens (I wanted a really tight FOV).

Studio Still - Pentax Q by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Studio Still - Bananas by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Studio Still - Aromatherapy Jar by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

OK, they're not going to be hanging these up in the Louvre, but the $5 hotshoe adapter works and the NEX-7 synced up to 1/200 with my RadioPopper and Interfit lights.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Carlos

I tried some studio shots with the Nex-7, the Sony official adapter (for the radio trigger) and Bowens Gemini pro lights, until I suddenly wondered what on earth I was doing!

Your perseverance is to be admired, not least because the Nex-7 is most assuredly well outside of its comfort zone in a studio environment. For example, I found the small size of the camera a disadvantage for studio work. The electronic viewfinder is not good in that environment. The camera would focus but the viewfinder goes dark before the shot is taken.

The NEX-7 is a great camera but not for studio use.

jonoslack

Sorry Nex 7 folks but I'm slipping a Ricoh GX100 shot in here for Jono - then I promise to go away :)

Jono, this is Bennie the Bengal - see the resemblance?

Keith
Hi Keith
. . Does Bennie cause havoc by stealing the dog's bed. . . and spitting at him when he asks for it back, by climbing into the cutlery cupboard (a difficult trick) thus requiring cleaning all the cutlery . . amusing children by being quite happy to be carried around with just the head sticking out of a carrier bag - - - I could go on and on!
Nice shot too!

V

Vivek

The electronic viewfinder is not good in that environment. The camera would focus but the viewfinder goes dark before the shot is taken.

The NEX-7 is a great camera but not for studio use.
Have you tried with the electronic first shutter OFF?

jonoslack

RMS = Royal Microscopy Society aka "Royal Screw" 20mm

On that picture, it is sitting on top of some junk with a rear cover, unmounted.

Here, it is shown mounted on to a Hawk Peng Helicoid in E-mount (same size as the 16mm f/2.8 lens) via a Jinfinances RMS to M42 adapter. In the middle is the Olympus pen F pancake 38/2.8 and on the left is a Carl Zeiss S-Planar 32/4 (yet to be mounted in a helicoid).
Amazing . . . Vivek . . . How many lenses do you have? :eek:

eleanorbrown

Do let us know and send sample images please! thanks! eleanor

Still resisting here . . . I've got the A mount f2 version . . .and the Leica f1.4 version . . . more 24's seems a little excessive

I'll be interested to see how you get on though.
Resistance is futile.... I have just ordered a Zeiss 24mm F1.8 lens for the Nex-7. hopefully this will be the lens that will do the sensor justice.

Will report back when I have the lens and have taken a few shots with it.v On the E mount it will give a slightly wide field of view, about the ideal focal length for me.

Quentin

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here are a couple of pics with NEX 7 Leica Summicron Asph 35

Lake Meade

Highway One

Further South

Bob

V

Vivek

They are lovely and splendid but not sure if they are crisp and clear (barring #3). Maybe I should get my monitor recalibrated?

Michiel Schierbeek

Grey. grey and more grey weather, but my NEX doesn't care.
Here some different relationships.

Michiel

This lens certainly got that Zeiss pop!

Should be the Planar 50/1.4

jonoslack

They are lovely and splendid but not sure if they are crisp and clear (barring #3). Maybe I should get my monitor recalibrated?
Hi Vivek
I was talking about the Images . . . not the Image Quality!
but hey
Michiel - love the graffiti, not so on the gnomes!

jonoslack

Pointless comparison (but fun for me)

Closest focus with the 24 f1.8:

and with the Leica 35 f1.4 (and the hawks adapter)