The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Terry

A couple with the 30 macro. These mushrooms were very interesting they left a brown powder all around where they were growing.

peterv

A little girl attacking my Nex7 ;)
Wonderful portraits, your daughter has beautiful eyes!

by the way thats her expression when trying to reach for the S2
She has good taste :)

So what can I conclude from her reaction?
If she looks at the NEX 7 with the same expression, I guess that tells a lot about how she values a good camera when she sees one.
Just for fun, when you get the chance to shoot both camera's side by side, please post a few shots. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the differences in handling and look and feel of the image files. I got to know you're shooting stile a little bit from the S2 thread.
NEX and S would be my dream camera combination :angel:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thomas, what lens for the second shot? Brilliant capture.

And Terry, that brown stuff is their seeds (spores); millions of them!

Re. WB: the worst camera for this in my experience was a D2h I using for a wedding: standing under trees, shooting doco. style into the clearing where all the action was happening... imagine the colours: the camera seeing green made getting the skin tones right very very difficult.

But that's long ago now. Like Jono, I use Daylight outside for all paying work (John Deere and others) and these are customers who only ever took the Raw files at the end of a job (just like the client taking the Kodachromes at the end of an advertising shoot). They want the images to look 'good' without processing, so even though Raw, they make their choices on what they see SOOC. I always took a calibrated MacBook Pro on location for this. Often, specific colours need to be reproduce perfectly (like John Deere's green). And like Jono suggests, using the Daylight setting outside lets you see how the colour temp. changes between the images (we did a lot of dawn and dusk work) and the customers want to see that colour in the images. The use of AWB will neutralise these colour changes and the scenes will look closer to the same 'averaged' colours as a result.

The last art director I worked with convinced me that some of the most interesting light is experienced after the sun goes down, too.

In the studio, AWB and the MacBeth checker, or Tungsten, if using colour-temp controlled lights.

Just my 2¢'s worth.

jonoslack

+83 to you second shot Tom - excellent
and to yours Terry with the mushrooms.
As Kit says - they're spores (not really seeds) - just ask your friendly local mycologist (that's me folks!).
Glad to hear you use the same principle Kit - anything is possible then!

Quentin - each to his own on the WB trip - although fixing it on Daylight using jpg doesn't sound too much like a good idea (but then, who shoots jpg?).

Michiel - garlic is the answer to life, especially when put into a pan with olive oil, and when you have a glass of good red wine in your hand

all the best

Last edited:

Paratom

Thomas: looked at the EXIF: nice rig, and the bokeh and focus falloff... lovely.
yes, I think it was the 70mm on the S2. Its a lovely lens, nice bokeh and focuses pretty close.
Sorry for posting non-Sony image here but the 2 images (1 from Nex 1 from Leica) were just shot from the same perspective and same situation just some days later.

Paratom

...Just for fun, when you get the chance to shoot both camera's side by side, please post a few shots. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the differences in handling and look and feel of the image files. I got to know you're shooting stile a little bit from the S2 thread.
NEX and S would be my dream camera combination :angel:
I can do that if I find the time.

I can not really judge the Nex7 IQ yet because my experience is very limited so far. During my winter vacation I shot the S2 and a Nex5n.
The 5n does really fine - but whenever I use the S2 I get rewarded. It is a combination of the bokeh, tonality and color which I really like. Even at screen size I can usually detect which images come from the S2. Smooth, rich and "filmlike".

The combination of a large SLR like the S2 and a small mirrorless like the Nex makes sense IMO and goes very good together. The Nex being used when the camera should be small, or for use from different perspective (with the swivel display) or for video. Still I think I often use the S2 when others might use a lighter camera and nearly never regret it.

If you are interested in one experience I made with this combo read here: http://www.reddotforum.com/showthread.php/415-I-wish-I-would-have-had-the-S2-with-me...
So yes, A weatherproof version of the Nex wouldnt hurt and thats maybe my one fear - how solid is the Nex7 regarding "abuse", weather and vibration.

Terry

So far so good. I like macro lenses just so that I can get up close to something. I haven't done any uber critical testing of the edges as it doesn't usually matter as much to me in how I use it.

In the first shot I was trying to get close and still have enough in focus which can be a challenge.

Quentin_Bargate

+83 to you second shot Tom - excellent
and to yours Terry with the mushrooms.
As Kit says - they're spores (not really seeds) - just ask your friendly local mycologist (that's me folks!).
Glad to hear you use the same principle Kit - anything is possible then!

Quentin - each to his own on the WB trip - although fixing it on Daylight using jpg doesn't sound too much like a good idea (but then, who shoots jpg?).

Michiel - garlic is the answer to life, especially when put into a pan with olive oil, and when you have a glass of good red wine in your hand

all the best
Just ate a great organic Pizza in fashionable Shoreditch. I took a few shots and will post a couple late. Garlic...red wine...herbs....etc. Nice!

etrigan63

Busy this weekend keeping a New Year's Resolution and cleaned out my office. Almost done with just a couple of boxes and piles of paper to review/shred. Only managed one decent shot this weekend and i decided to try a little HDR Efex Pro on the NEX-7 files. Here is the result:

While My Guitar Gently Sleeps by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

V

Vivek

Carlos, Is the light painting done with a light or through a software?

peterv

I can do that if I find the time.

I can not really judge the Nex7 IQ yet because my experience is very limited so far. During my winter vacation I shot the S2 and a Nex5n.
The 5n does really fine - but whenever I use the S2 I get rewarded. It is a combination of the bokeh, tonality and color which I really like. Even at screen size I can usually detect which images come from the S2. Smooth, rich and "filmlike".

The combination of a large SLR like the S2 and a small mirrorless like the Nex makes sense IMO and goes very good together. The Nex being used when the camera should be small, or for use from different perspective (with the swivel display) or for video. Still I think I often use the S2 when others might use a lighter camera and nearly never regret it.

If you are interested in one experience I made with this combo read here: http://www.reddotforum.com/showthread.php/415-I-wish-I-would-have-had-the-S2-with-me...
So yes, A weatherproof version of the Nex wouldnt hurt and thats maybe my one fear - how solid is the Nex7 regarding "abuse", weather and vibration.
Thanks very much Thomas.

I understand now, the second image was taken with the S2. Didn't expect that in this thread, should have used my eyes :)
Anyway, I like both images. They each have a roll to play in the collective visual memory of your family, well done.

As for the NEX 7 versus the S2, I too think that though very different, both camera systems have their place and can both be useful. Weather sealing on the NEX would be high on my wish list too. I think now with the A77 Sony proved that they can do it. Let's hope they put it in a future NEX. Some would say this isn't going to happen since the NEX line is 'only' enthusiast level, but I disagree. It can be used for professional photography. It's not a D4 or 1D-X with ultra high ISO and super fast AF, but it can deliver a technically fine image file. In that sense the NEX is more related to the S2 than high end CaNikons. It kind of needs a more deliberate approach.