The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

uhoh7

some nice shots in here.

to be honest, I don't think you can tell a nex-7 shot from a nex-5 shot online.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I don't think you can tell a nex-7 shot from a nex-5 shot online.

No. The title is fun with the NEX-7 and not "more fun than with the NEX-5N" :). Why do we always need to compare?

Before I put my cameras into my bag I compare between the cameras I have. Once at location I only shoot with what I have and forget all the alternatives. If I put the wrong cameras into my bag then I learn for the next time.

That's why I post my images in Tte fun with NEX thread! More people and more democratic :D

Michiel
+1

All the more for me it's more about fun with the pictures than fun with a tool, be it a NEX-3/C, NEX-5/N, NEX-7 or even NEX-9 ... :) But others may feel different, so maybe it's nice (and democratic:)), if there's a choice.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>All the more for me it's more about fun with the pictures than fun with a tool

For me too.

jonoslack

One from yesterday afternoon. Shot into blinding mist and sun, so heavily worked in LR3. NEX-7 + ZM 50mm Planar at f/8:

This is fanTASTIC
congratulations - wonderful shot.
Excellent!
(did I say I like it!).

. . . . and the processing is also really well done.

all the best

S

shelt59

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I'm planning to print this at 16x24 and put it over my desk...

All post-processing was done in LR3. The NEX-7 images seem to tolerate a lot of manipulation! I keep getting surprised by the dynamic range in the files, even versus my 5dm2.

This is fanTASTIC
congratulations - wonderful shot.
Excellent!
(did I say I like it!).

. . . . and the processing is also really well done.

all the best

etrigan63

I agree shelt. The NEX-7 files are very malleable, far more malleable than the images from my D700. If Sony's upcoming α99 SLT does not get caught up in the megapixel race and incorporates what they learned with the NEX-7, it may be the replacement for my D700. I truly have a feeling that the D800 (either version) will not meet my needs and the D4 is out of my budget. The Canon 5D Mk whatever may also be a contender.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Carlos, hang in there until you at least test the D800 version sans the AA filter. Word I get is it is pretty dang fantastic. I wish Sony would just get the a99 out before the D800 sees the light of day, or I may be tempted to switch back myself.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Superbowl party. Nex-7 + 24mm Sony Zeiss. This thing has a really serious focus hunting problem in even moderate light. Any experience with settings to help out on this?

Last edited:
V

Vivek

The 24/1.8 E-Sonnar is Sony Zeiss and not Schneider. You can always focus manually.

eleanorbrown

enjoying catching up on this forum today! My NEX7 is sitting in the B&H warehouse waiting for shipment. I have the Zeiss 24 1.8 and 4 Leica M lenses sitting here at my house waiting! I was wondering if anyone that shoots both the NEX7 and the M9 could give me a comparison on noise, say at base iso? Just wondering how the NEX and M9 compare with regards to noise as I have a marked aversion to digital noise (or film grain for that matter!) Thanks, Eleanor

jonoslack

Hi There Eleanor
in haste and trying to kill two birds with one stone:

Here is the NEX7 with the Leica 50 f1.4 Asph:

shot at ISO 1600 f2 with the Leica 75 'cron

Here is the Leica M9 with the 35 lux

shot at ISO 1600 f2 with the Leica 50 'lux

If you would like the RAW files drop me a line and I'll send them to you.

all the best