The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

fotoingo

Subscriber Member
Woah, picture overflow ;)
Nice pics Ashwin.
Its interesting to see all those different lens renderings directly in comparison.
I like the Guitargirl and the Gorilla the most.

V

Vivek

Ashwin, I loved all the shots from Argentina! Post them if you have more! Nice work.

BTW, I have been trying to get all the R Luxes. Someday..

jonoslack

BTW, I have been trying to get all the R Luxes. Someday..
Oh! I'd like to do that too . . I think that quickly is the answer Vivek. Waiting could be expensive, not least because they all seem to be going to China (look at ebay).

jonoslack

Spring Weather :shocked::eek:

. . . and did we get wet . . . Yes We Did!

All the above taken with the 18-200, which may be big, ugly and a zoom, but it does really produce good results.

Terry

Spring Weather :shocked::eek:

. . . and did we get wet . . . Yes We Did!

All the above taken with the 18-200, which may be big, ugly and a zoom, but it does really produce good results.
This was well worth getting wet for.
18-200 the original kit along couple of primes and I'm now almost done putting together my Sony kit (24, 30, 50). Need to figure out on the very wide side what to get.
Suggestions welcome.

jonoslack

Thanks Terry
I've just ordered the 50 f1.8 and the Sigma 30 f2.8 from digital rev . . . . . as for the very wide side, I suspect that, until Sony come up with the goods, and assuming that you don't want to stretch to a WATE, then an adapter and one of the Sigma wide zooms (10-20 f3.5?) is the answer.

Terry

Thanks Terry
I've just ordered the 50 f1.8 and the Sigma 30 f2.8 from digital rev . . . . . as for the very wide side, I suspect that, until Sony come up with the goods, and assuming that you don't want to stretch to a WATE, then an adapter and one of the Sigma wide zooms (10-20 f3.5?) is the answer.
I'm going to hold out until I need it but I thought the Sigma 8-16 was the lens to get. Not a fast lens but I don't need that in an ultra wide.

WATE smashes the budget by a good bit.

Last edited:

jonoslack

I'm going to hold out until I need it but I thought the Sigma 8-16 was the lens to get. Not a fast lens but I don't need that in an ultra wide.

WATE smashes the budge but a good bit.
I think you're right about the Sigma (and MUCH wider than the WATE anyway).

I've had really good experiences with those Sigma UW zooms - stop them down a little for sharp corners, but, as you say, fast isn't really what one wants in a wide.

douglasf13

Thanks Terry
I just received my 30 and 50 from Digital Rev. Both lenses are quite impressive, in my limited use on the NEX-7. The 30 is slow'ish but it is sharp, small and lightweight. The 50 is very sharp, but the bokeh is the among the smoothest I've seen from a 50, which you may or may not like.

I've settled on a "Sigmarit" 19 and 30 and Sony 24 and 50 kit, for now, as it takes care of most anything I'd shoot. Sony is expected to announce the fast standard and wide zoom this year, and mid-tele next year, and I think that'll be a pretty solid lineup.

I new little one is just over a month old, so I'm still trying to find time to actually go out and use all of this new gear. :)

jonoslack

I new little one is just over a month old, so I'm still trying to find time to actually go out and use all of this new gear. :)
Hi Douglas . . . I didn't know - congratulations! We had our three all together last weekend for the first time in more than a year . . . . but I'm not sure that little is the right description!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I have the Sigma 8-16, which works well with the LEA-2 adapter. But it's quite a large setup for the NEX-7, compared to the Sigma 19, so I find myself taking the Sigma 19 out for walks as my "wide" lens, and only use the Sigma 8-16 when I'm willing to carry a large camera bag.

Terry

Thanks Mike. Looks like ultra wide and small is really limited to the samyang 8mm fisheye.

Douglas - CONGRATULATIONS! :thumbs: :clap:

jonoslack

I have the Sigma 8-16, which works well with the LEA-2 adapter. But it's quite a large setup for the NEX-7, compared to the Sigma 19, so I find myself taking the Sigma 19 out for walks as my "wide" lens, and only use the Sigma 8-16 when I'm willing to carry a large camera bag.
I was thinking of the sigma 19 . . . but to be honest, with a little stopping down, I find the kit 18-55 does pretty well wide open . .. . . is the Sigma that much better?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono - I don't own the kit lens, so don't have any way to compare.

I was pretty happy with the Sony E 16/2.8 (when stopped down to f5.6 or f8), but I've noticed that the Sigma 19 is noticably better than the Sony 16. And the Sigma 19 is usable at f2.8, and quite sharp by f4, whereas the Sony E 16 isn't even usable until f5.6.