The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

jonoslack

Hi all!! Love the stuff everybody is putting together...

Not much time for shooting (or forum lurking :D) lately. Just some street shots from today, all shot with Nex-7 Voightlander Nokton Classic 40

Thanks for watching!!
It's always a pleasure Erik. Fantastic photos.

Photon-hunter

Thanks for the comments.

@Michiel: yes, tourists indeed. Your comment made me think though. I was also in the same spot taking pictures (though it´s my own city), but you immediately associated them with tourists and not with fellow photographers. Probably because of the point-and-shootish pose or because of the fact that they are taking the picture simultaneously, but I find it an interesting thought anyhow. Probably just me and my mental dispersion...:loco:

E.

scho

A few shots from a woodland walk with the NEX7 and Sigma 30mm.

Red trillium

Old split rail fence

False Hellebore

Marsh marigold

jonoslack

Thanks for the comments.

@Michiel: yes, tourists indeed. Your comment made me think though. I was also in the same spot taking pictures (though it´s my own city), but you immediately associated them with tourists and not with fellow photographers. Probably because of the point-and-shootish pose or because of the fact that they are taking the picture simultaneously, but I find it an interesting thought anyhow. Probably just me and my mental dispersion...:loco:

E.
I have to say . . . If I lived in the Canary Islands I think I might be subject to a little mental dispersion:ROTFL:

jonoslack

More wild weather here . . . now it's just set into pouring with rain.
Here are a couple shots over the last 24 hours, either with the kit zoom or with the 18-200.

First of all some flowers

These ones are a bit more structural

This one is my favourite I think

MikalWGrass

Lovely photos guys. Does anyone use the camera for sports or non stationary subjects? The sony a900 is just such a dog sometimes that I hate carrying it around. I want to take pics of triathlons and open water swimming. I have the lenses covered but I am really getting tired of the a900.

Thanks.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Lovely photos guys. Does anyone use the camera for sports or non stationary subjects? The sony a900 is just such a dog sometimes that I hate carrying it around. I want to take pics of triathlons and open water swimming. I have the lenses covered but I am really getting tired of the a900.

Thanks.
Mikal - I use the NEX-7 regularly to shoot soccer and track meets. I shoot with the LEA-2 adapter and primarily with the Sony G 70-400 lens or the Zeiss 24-70. Using the adapter, you get phase-detect AF with all it's bells and whistles (continuous focus, object tracking, etc). You can also select the "speed priority mode" and get 10fps, with focus and exposure locked on the first shot in the burst.

Once I learned how well the NEX-7 works this way with the LEA-2 adapter and Alpha-mount lenses, I sold my A77 and now only use the NEX-7 for all my sports shooting.

I would not shoot sports with a native E-mount lens on the NEX-7, as the contrast-detect AF system is not up to the task.

Braeside

Once I learned how well the NEX-7 works this way with the LEA-2 adapter and Alpha-mount lenses, I sold my A77 and now only use the NEX-7 for all my sports shooting.
Interesting Mike, thanks. I'm in the position of thinking of changing from my A900, as I just don't use it enough now that I have the GXR plus A12 Mount and a bunch of ZM lenses.

The only thing I miss is something for occasional wildlife or motor sports, and the NEX plus LEA-2 may be a solution, however the lack of image stabilisation could be a problem. I have decided that now that compact cameras are so good in IQ , I don't really want another DSLR, as I hate looking like the paparazzi.:)

Though I could part with the A900, I'm very reluctant to sell the Zeiss 24-70 135/1.8 or the 70-400G lenses as they are so nice. If anyone wants to swop a NEX-7 plus LEA-2 for an A900...

Interested in thoughts on this, however perhaps we can start another thread rather than clutter up this excellent thread.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
David - the loss of Image Stabilization when moving from A900 or A77 to NEX-7 can be an issue. I typically shoot sports on a monopod, which helps alleviate the issue.

I'm looking at some of the Sigma lenses (alpha mount) as options, as you can get those with OSS built in to the lens. If they ever released the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OSS in an Alpha mount, that would be the perfect sports lens for my use. Several others are already available - you may want to check those out.

Braeside

Thanks Mike, and I'm looking forward to your article on Steve's site about the NEX-7 plus adaptor. I have more or less decided to trade my A900 for NEX-7 kit, keeping most of my existing Alpha mount lenses, though I may sell a few of the less used ones, we'll see.

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

David,

I sold my Zeiss 24-70/2.8 because it was too slow at the focal length I was shooting at most of the time. I replaced it with a Leica R 50/1.4 and had it adapted by Leitax. It is a pretty good combo but I am used to using an M6 with an M 50/1.4 with no mirror.

I also have the Zeiss 135/1.8 and I recently bought a Minolta 24/2.8 and 85/1.4 from KEH. Both work well on the a900 and will work equally as well on a Nex 7, should I go that route.

I am not all that keen on IS because for years I never used it, and for my style of shooting it really doesn't make all that much difference.

Truthfully, the only thing preventing me from ditching or trading the a900 is the fact that it is full frame. I like full frame cameras. If I trade it or sell it for the Nex 7, I will probably also buy a CV 35/1.2 version 2 to give me something that approximates a 50 mm lens.

No need for another thread.

MikalWGrass

David, the R lenses with Leitax adapters are good solutions for the a900. The glass is excellent but you lose the autofocus component of the Zeiss lenses made for the body.

The only issue I had with using the R lens was that the focus confirmation was different depending upon which way you focused the lens. If you focus from the lens being wide open, which I am guess is the proper way to focus the lens because of the stop down metering, the focus confirmation comes on at a different time then when you are focusing from the camera from the other direction, opening up the lens. It can be a bit maddening, but like all things you can get used to it.

My eyes are getting worse so I am kind of moving towards auto focus lenses at least for the a900 and the Nex 7 if I get one of those.

Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water.