The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

mazor

David - the loss of Image Stabilization when moving from A900 or A77 to NEX-7 can be an issue. I typically shoot sports on a monopod, which helps alleviate the issue.

I'm looking at some of the Sigma lenses (alpha mount) as options, as you can get those with OSS built in to the lens. If they ever released the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OSS in an Alpha mount, that would be the perfect sports lens for my use. Several others are already available - you may want to check those out.

this indeed is interesting. If sigma make OSS lens for alpha mount does it mean you can you both in body image stabilization and optical stabilization at the same time to get even more stops of stabilization or does it disable in body IS?

Thats one reason why i wend and got the ef to nex smart adapter, as EF lens IS`works well on the nex, esp my 100-400L. IS USM

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Mazor - it's not a good idea to use both IS systems at the same time (in-body and in-lens). They don't work well together, and actually end up causing a shaky image, as they constantly try to correct for each other.

Typically, in-lens is more effective than in-body, but it depends on the IS implementation, so if you have both forms available to you, you might experiment to see which is more effective, and then use that one.

I personally would select a Sigma lens with OS in alpha mount (along with the LEA-2 adapter) over a Canon IS lens with smart adapter. With the Sigma/LEA-2 combo, you'll get both OS and AF.

Here are a couple of good sports lenses from Sigma (alpha mount) with OS:

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO DG OS:
Amazon.com: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD Large Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Sony Digital DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo

Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 APO DG OS:
Amazon.com: Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM SLD Ultra Telephoto Zoom Lens for Sony Digital DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo

The 70-200 f2.8 is well reviewed as a very sharp lens with fast AF. The 50-500 is slower and a notch lower in IQ, but with more reach. More of a wildlife lens, if there's good light.

mazor

thanks mike for that info, will keep that in mind for more toys for my nex. Guess for me, since I already have a Canon tele zoom with IS plus a few L lens ;) may as well get some use on nex. Lucky that the 100-400L uses a push pull to zoom, and rotate to focus, so in one action can zoom and focus simultaneously.

so it is confirmed ideal combo sports fr nex would be la-e2 with sigma OS lens, to get both fast phase based AF that can track and image stabilization in lens.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Final thoughts on using the NEX-7 / LEA-2 combo for sports...

It's not perfect. The A77 has the advantage of in-camera stabilization, as well as a better high-speed mode (AF and exposure are recalculated for every shot). With the NEX-7, if the subjects are moving really fast (birds, cars, etc), then I switch to the lower drive speed of 3fps to get the AF/exposure recalculated for each shot. In the high speed 10 fps mode, the are locked on the first shot of any burst.

For soccer players at a distance, this isn't a big deal, as they generally will not move out of focus within a 1 second burst. But keep this in mind depending on what you are shooting.

Overall, the Canon 7D is slightly better than the A77 at tracking AF on moving subjects. The NEX-7 is about equal to the A77, when using the LEA-2 adapter and center-point AF (with object tracking on). Outer AF points on the LEA-2 are not as good for tracking moving subjects.

One advantage that the A77 and NEX-7 have over the 7D is the ability to shoot very high quality video with moving subjects, while using the EVF (rather than the rear LCD). I shot a 100M sprint race at a track event on Saturday, with the runners coming straight at me (I was positioned on the track about 10 yards past the finish line), and I got excellent video of the runners coming straight toward the camera. Focus was perfect, object tracking worked great, and I was able to zoom out (using Sony G 70-400) as the runners got closer to the line. I would not have been able to capture that video nearly as well with a Canon 7D.

V

Vivek

Mike, Thank you (the lady's expression made the image)! After "discovering" the NEX-C3, I hardly ever lug this camera. It was a bit of a struggle to choose a longish fast lens. Ended up taking the Fujinon. :)

Hi all!! Love the stuff everybody is putting together...

Not much time for shooting (or forum lurking :D) lately. Just some street shots from today, all shot with Nex-7 Voightlander Nokton Classic 40 MC.

Thanks for watching!!
Knew this was the Nokton as soon as I saw these. Love the rendering and nice compositions. I had just dug mine out of the lens drawer with the intention of shooting the 7 with it for a couple weeks exclusively.

Here is one from the garden...

Chad

Last edited:

jaree

I recently sold my A850 after getting the Nex-7. I don't see the Nex-7 as a "replacement" for the A850/900. With the LA-EA2 and big Zeiss Alpha lenses, Nex-7 becomes unwieldy and lack of IS can be an issue. These lenses balance better on the Sony FF bodies. AF is also an issue - AF on A850 is far superior to that on the Nex-7 (with or without LA-EA2). A850 could seemingly focus on flat white walls if I had to - Nex-7 falls flat in many situations where the A850 just locked focus.

If you don't mind the size, A850/A900 are (IMO) better for still photography than any Nex-7 solution.

My reason for moving to the Nex-7 was primarily high IQ in a small size. I am under no illusion however, that this somehow can serve as a replacement for the A850 or A900.

I did keep my Zeiss ZA 24mm. This and other Zeiss Alpha lenses are simply too good to sell!

Interesting Mike, thanks. I'm in the position of thinking of changing from my A900, as I just don't use it enough now that I have the GXR plus A12 Mount and a bunch of ZM lenses.

The only thing I miss is something for occasional wildlife or motor sports, and the NEX plus LEA-2 may be a solution, however the lack of image stabilisation could be a problem.................

Though I could part with the A900, I'm very reluctant to sell the Zeiss 24-70 135/1.8 or the 70-400G lenses as they are so nice. If anyone wants to swop a NEX-7 plus LEA-2 for an A900...

Braeside

I recently sold my A850 after getting the Nex-7. I don't see the Nex-7 as a "replacement" for the A850/900. With the LA-EA2 and big Zeiss Alpha lenses, Nex-7 becomes unwieldy and lack of IS can be an issue. These lenses balance better on the Sony FF bodies. AF is also an issue - AF on A850 is far superior to that on the Nex-7 (with or without LA-EA2). A850 could seemingly focus on flat white walls if I had to - Nex-7 falls flat in many situations where the A850 just locked focus.

If you don't mind the size, A850/A900 are (IMO) better for still photography than any Nex-7 solution.

My reason for moving to the Nex-7 was primarily high IQ in a small size. I am under no illusion however, that this somehow can serve as a replacement for the A850 or A900.

I did keep my Zeiss ZA 24mm. This and other Zeiss Alpha lenses are simply too good to sell!
Hi Jaree, and thanks for your perspective on this. I suppose it all depends on the type of photography you do most. You make an entirely sensible argument in favour of the A900 for still photography.

Its sad that Sony appear to be abandoning the OVF and that the A900/850 will be the last of their breed.

I find that these days, my needs for a fast AF DSLR type camera have diminished, and that the camera I carry will tend to be a compact with high quality primes. I feel that for wildlife on a tripod, or sports on a monopod, that I could probably get by with the NEX + LA-EA2 and my Alpha lenses which like you I don't want to give up entirely.

I went through this in film days, from heavy SLR gear to compact 35mm cameras:)

Michiel Schierbeek

Here is a serie from Queensday in Amsterdam - so much orange in the streets that it drove me crazy - with the C/Y Zeiss Planar 100/2.
Mostly shot @2.8
What a great lens for separating objects from the background.

Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Nice shots, Michiel

Here is a single shot HDR, sometimes the only way I can catch the way things appear. Nex-7 with 18-200 Tamron

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Nice compo of light and shadows, Keith.

Just for fun; some bokeh pictures with a very old silver Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5
Passed by very cheap and I could not let it go :deadhorse:

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

More store windows with different lenses and the last one with the new Sigma 19mm AF lens. Totally forgot how lazy AF is, although I think I don't use the right focus method.
Did not find my first trys very correctly focussed. Go to try central spot instead of multi point focussing.
First time the two wheels on top of the NEX-7 came to use, very nice.
Did not need them with the manual lenses.

Michiel

The father still loves the Marklin trains!​