The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

gurtch

The kit lens is a pleasant surprise. Here is a jpg straight out of the camera, no sharpening, etc, plus a crop of "actual pixels"
No work of art, just a test.
Dave in NJ

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

The kit lens is a pleasant surprise. Here is a jpg straight out of the camera, no sharpening, etc, plus a crop of "actual pixels"
No work of art, just a test.
Dave in NJ

Dave,
Still don't have any Sony lens. At the time I bought the NEX-7 the black kit lens was not available yet. Hope to get one but they are hard to get seperatly.
How do the files compare to your 645D?

BTW I do enjoy your work in the 645D forum very much. Looks like an exellent camera to me.
Would like to get one to do landscape work here in Normandy, France.
But it is serious money, although they do already appear on the used market for around € 7000,--

Michiel

gurtch

Dave,
Still don't have any Sony lens. At the time I bought the NEX-7 the black kit lens was not available yet. Hope to get one but they are hard to get seperatly.
How do the files compare to your 645D?

BTW I do enjoy your work in the 645D forum very much. Looks like an exellent camera to me.
Would like to get one to do landscape work here in Normandy, France.
But it is serious money, although they do already appear on the used market for around € 7000,--

Michiel
I have not made side by side comparisons NEX7 and 645D. I use the two systems for very different uses: The NEX and several lenses fit in a small bag, and I keep it in the car so I always have a camera for that "grab shot". The 645D is often used on a monopod or tripod for more contemplative photography. Attached is a "best of both worlds combo shot" The forground was a quick grab shot with NEX and Zeiss 24mm lens. the sky was done with a 645D.
Best of luck, and thanks for the kind words
Dave

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

I have not made side by side comparisons NEX7 and 645D. I use the two systems for very different uses: The NEX and several lenses fit in a small bag, and I keep it in the car so I always have a camera for that "grab shot". The 645D is often used on a monopod or tripod for more contemplative photography. Attached is a "best of both worlds combo shot" The forground was a quick grab shot with NEX and Zeiss 24mm lens. the sky was done with a 645D.
Best of luck, and thanks for the kind words
Dave
Since you told me I can't get rid of the feeling something is not right with this photograph. Like the boarderline of the sky and sea seems to sharp, I don't know.

Here are two from my walks along the fields.

Michiel

KenLee

NEX-7 with Kit Lens

The Thinker
Rodin Museum, Paris 2012

Louvre Museum, Paris 2012

Last edited:

alphaman

I've just used my NEX7 on a professional job for the first time.

Normally I'd have used an A900 but I needed to do some quiet available light work, so armed with the Sigma 19mm and 30mm I set to work photographing a well known celeb visiting a Primary School and was very pleased with the results! I cannot publish them here as the parents might object, but I don't think the client will have any complaints with the results!

I have used a NEX5 before for some small things but to shoot a whole job on a NEX7 is something I didn't think I would do. I would have used a 24/1.8 if I had one (pretty difficult to find in these parts!) but the little Sigmas did a grand job!

scho

A near/far garden composition shot with the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II on the NEX7. Two shifted shots with 1.5 degrees downward tilt processed and stitched in CS6. I shot the same scene with the Canon TS-E on the Fuji XP1 today and posted that image in the fuji forum.

Larger 50% image at Pbase

KenLee

I shot the same scene with the Canon TS-E on the Fuji XP1 today and posted that image in the fuji forum.
They're both very nice!

The lighting changed between the 2 setups, and it's hard to judge at these sizes - so how do things compare in your estimation ?

All things being equal (which they never are) the NEX-7 certainly shows broad dynamic range.

Jim DE

Carl, very nice...... I have owned PS since PS7 but in all honesty have had avoidance issue's using PS unless I absolutely had to save a shot. Fact is it confuses the heck out of me and causes much frustration when I use it. I loaded CS6 when it first was available but to date haven't used it but most I talk to urge me to use this version as they say it is much more user friendly. When I see shots like yours and the stitching it sure makes me want to jump in and give it a honest try again.

I use Aperture3, DXO7, and Topaz without hesitation ... Getting me to use PS is like pulling teeth. I hate the terminology, the workflow, and the resulting file sizes. But I guess I hate not being proficient enough to use it is my real issue. :(

scho

They're both very nice!

The lighting changed between the 2 setups, and it's hard to judge at these sizes - so how do things compare in your estimation ?

All things being equal (which they never are) the NEX-7 certainly shows broad dynamic range.
Thanks ken. Both cameras performed well with this lens and it would be hard to choose based only on the image. It was easier to use the NEX7 with flip up LCD for tripod use (as in this situation), focus peaking, and variable magnification. MF with the XP1 is quite painful in comparison. The XP1 seems to produce slightly more fine detail (if it doesn't get crushed by Adobe during raw import) and better high ISO image quality (not an issue in this case). I was frankly quite surprised at how much DR I was able to pull out of this scene with the NEX7. I did make heavy use of the highlight and shadow sliders, but the image tolerated the adjustments well. This was a high contrast scene, compared to the overcast lighting today with the XP1 shot.

Carl, very nice...... I have owned PS since PS7 but in all honesty have had avoidance issue's using PS unless I absolutely had to save a shot. Fact is it confuses the heck out of me and causes much frustration when I use it. I loaded CS6 when it first was available but to date haven't used it but most I talk to urge me to use this version as they say it is much more user friendly. When I see shots like yours and the stitching it sure makes me want to jump in and give it a honest try again.

I use Aperture3, DXO7, and Topaz without hesitation ... Getting me to use PS is like pulling teeth. I hate the terminology, the workflow, and the resulting file sizes. But I guess I hate not being proficient enough to use it is my real issue. :(
Jim, I normally use LR for routine raw image processing, but in this case I needed the stitching capability of Photoshop which is the only reason I went there first. Stitching in CS5 or CS6 is a simple one button push - nothing complicated at all. Just import your images that you want to stitch together, select File>Automate>Photomerge. Select add open files and either Auto or Reposition, depending on whether you used a tripod or handheld when taking the shots. I used a Tilt/Shift lens on a tripod so images were almost perfectly aligned and I just used reposition for stitching.