The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Michiel Schierbeek

OK, that I am dumb is history. I have now been promoted to dumber! I tried what you suggested, Michiel, ar at least I tried. Clicked "quick reply". Clicked the square mountain. Pasted a Flick'r URL in the box, added some text, and entered. The text showed, but not the picture. Got a very small colour square instead. Is there are size limit that means my pictures get rejected for excessive size (they are 600Ko and 1200p max)?
Thanks for the continuing help.
Better is to use advanced mode because then you have a preview, so you can look closely to the url and see what's wrong.
When you copy/paste the url from your DPI image section (The big version) often it mentions http//: twice. Remove that.

In the preview you can try it out till you get it right.
Good luck.

BTW nice series on the churches of Rouen. Beautifull light.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

A few shots from a certain sporting event, or nearby, last Sunday, all with the NEX-7 and Tamron 18-200mm

What sport event are you talking about Quentin? :LOL:

Yesterday I saw a fantastic documentary about Anish Kapoor. Very impressive.
His sculpture in Chicago is my all time favourite.
To put such a curved shape - a perfect reflecting cloud - in the middle of all this massive vertical architecture is just plain brilliant!

Michiel

philber

Great stuff, Michiel. Your second shot is a classic delight, though my personal preference would probably have been for a cleaner left side. Chopping up birds is cruel...:)

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks philber.
I never like birds flying half out the composition either. It was irritating me a bit but I was to lazy :deadhorse:
I cloned two birds out, although I felt sorry for them :p

+ another shot from yesterday showing 2 fortifications from different era.

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

Great stuff, Michiel. Your second shot is a classic delight, though my personal preference would probably have been for a cleaner left side. Chopping up birds is cruel...:)
I like the birds ;)

As you have said excellent shot.

We are soooo far beyond the early days of digital where had to pretend the tools were up to the job. The skill of the photographer is still the most important component by far, but our hands are no longer tied...

Michiel Schierbeek

We are soooo far beyond the early days of digital where had to pretend the tools were up to the job. The skill of the photographer is still the most important component by far, but our hands are no longer tied...
Not to forget, before that, standing in a dark room for hours with chemicals, just to even see some pictures. We now have different character but the same or better quality developed in a armchair.

Here another view over Dieppe. Typical for the weather these days. Sunny above see and inland clouds and rain. Very frustrating if you don't live on the coastline.

I am actually quiet happy with this old Minolta wide zoom. Makes a nice and very small travel zoom.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Nice one Philippe! Also with the Zeiss 35?

Today I took a simular foto with simular light circumstances as you had. Very harsh and not as clean sharp as your lens.
This is the cathedral in Chartres. There is one from the inside with the selftimer in the Ricoh thread.

Michiel

KenLee

Eglise de St. Germain des Pres, Paris 2012
18-55mm Sony SE​

High ISO is a... miracle :)

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Big fan of your flower work Ken.

Edit, just had a look at your website, now I know why your stuff looks like LF film, you're a LF film shooter!

Have to be honest I've not been a fan of the Nex 7's images, I find the tonality lacking and the contrast dead, but your stuff makes me believe there is hope.

KenLee

Thank you very much :)

I can't speak for others - and I'm new to digital beyond point&shoot cameras - but the sensor on the NEX-7 impresses me with its dynamic range and tonality.

It's important to shoot RAW images of course, and not over-expose. With the extended dynamic range set as wide as possible, and "under" exposing by EV-1 or greater, Adobe Camera Raw can give us a pretty broad range of tones to deal with.

Ultimately, it's the subject of course: if the subject is already beautiful, the camera (and photographer) need only be adequate.

18-55mm Sony SE​

Last edited:

Taylor Sherman

Distagon 24/2 ZA:

DSC01550.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Leica 21/3.4 SE - this was an in-camera HDR, and since JPG (not RAW) it didn't get cornerfixed by my batch processing, so I went B&W. This I believe is with LR4's "green filter" B&W preset.

DSC01512.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

same lens:

DSC01249_CF.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

CV 180/4 APO-Lanthar (Nikon mount) - tight crop, roughly 2.5Mp

DSC01222.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

same lens - it's almost a macro (this is NOT cropped)

DSC01167.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

another:

DSC01377.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Back to the Super-Elmar - this has no PP other than cornerfix

DSC01339_CF.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Finally, a funky flower w/ the CV 35/1.2 II

DSC01082.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr