The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Pingang

Just came back from a long new year vocation, this image shot with NEX-7 with E 18-55 OSS lens at an ancient salt well - which today still produce salt almost the exact way - Boklua, Nan province, north Thailand, the image was shot manual exposure, using the pop-up flash just to balance the light to give the salt basket a little more definition.

Best,
Pingang

philber

Thanks for your feedback, Taylor and philber! One lens I've been curious about is the Leica 16-18-21mm WATE. Have any of you tried this on NEX? If so, what are your findings? I think this could be an excellent choice when you can only bring one lens.
Yup, I tried a second-hand WATE for a few days. Good news: absolutely no corner issues on the 7 that I could see, unlikely though it seems. Not-so-good news. It is a very good lens. But, for that sort of money, I expected more. It is not as good as the 21 SE or the 24 Elmar IMHO. Not quite. So I didn't buy, despite the obvious attraction and practicality

Ron Pfister

Yup, I tried a second-hand WATE for a few days. Good news: absolutely no corner issues on the 7 that I could see, unlikely though it seems. Not-so-good news. It is a very good lens. But, for that sort of money, I expected more. It is not as good as the 21 SE or the 24 Elmar IMHO. Not quite. So I didn't buy, despite the obvious attraction and practicality
Thanks for the feedback, philber - much appreciated! I agree, it is costly, but if you look at the price compared to three individual lenses of comparable quality, would you still say it is over-priced?

Ron Pfister

Nice to see the ZM35C getting some use on the Nex-7, I think people have been scared of that combo.
I'm a bit surprised to hear you say this, because I find this lens to perform very well on the NEX-7. The lens is very sharp, it is compact and it handles very well. There is a little bit of color shift, and very minor loss of detail in the corners, but the former is easily corrected in post and the latter is nothing that I find objectionable. Here's an example without flat field correction applied - an image I made as part of a panorama:

philber

Thanks for the feedback, philber - much appreciated! I agree, it is costly, but if you look at the price compared to three individual lenses of comparable quality, would you still say it is over-priced?
Well, if you ask "is the WATE worth its price considering that you get a 16mm, a 18mm and a 21mm lens for that money, plus you don't have to carry but one?", the answer has to be "yes" , Ron.
My take on it is a bit different, more like "if I spend upwards of 2000€ for a lens, any lens, then it has to offer absolute state-of-the-art IQ", and then the answer is that the WATE doesn' make the cut. I'd rather "just" have fewer lenses, and have, say, the 18mm and the 21SE, or the 18 and the 24 Elmar than the WATE. Twice as heavy, not much more money, and better IQ IMHO.
But that is just me, to each his own...

Taylor Sherman

Hi Ron -

That's great, it seems to have almost less color shift than the Biogon 35/2 does! I always figured since the C Biogon was even more of a classic Biogon design, it'd be worse. But that appears not to be the case :)

I was tempted by the WATE, but the price was just too high at the time I was thinking about it. I've heard that it has very little color-shift problem with the Nex-7 though.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures from today with my new Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8:

DSC05781.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC05789.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC05806.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

philber

Congratulations on your Elmarit, Taylor! It is indeed a delightful lens, with tremendous detail and lovely colours, and a gentle presentation. Not only a macro lens, in that it is fine all the way to infinity. Very good VFM IMHO, and very good on NEX.
As to ZM 35C, I had one on my original NEX 5, and loved it. As it did not give any corner problems on the 5, I was not surprised to see it do well on the 7.

Jim DE

Good read, Ron! And nice work.

Yesterday I went out with three cameras on the same subject. I have to regret to say it but the NEX-7 files, although they are very flexibel in PP, are in the third place. (compared to Ricoh GXR and DP2m)
But I love the camera in use and it is a great adapter for all kinds of Alt lenses.
(And the files are good enough)

Michiel

Corus Steel plant.

Michiel, I have been watching your images on here and the SD2M thread and have enjoyed them very much. I read the above statement and trust your judgement on this as I only have the NEX 7 out of the three mentioned. In your opinion just how noticeable is the visual difference between the SD2m images and say the NEX7 with a good Zeiss lens match like the CG45mm f2.

I ask this as I treat my 7 like a medium format landscape camera as it is (lives on a tripod with IR remote and use it with the LCD flipped out at waist level or lower with the CG45mm mostly even-though I own many CG lenses and other e mount glass as well) so going to the Merrell with a fixed lens and using it supported would be basically "two same like each". Slow performance and using base iso is not an issue either. To me the biggest issue would be using the SPP software for RAW conversion before going to CS6/DXO/Aperture/C1 but hey I am software heavy as it is ;-)

Basically I am asking if the DP2m files are so significantly better in IQ than the N7/Zeiss combos on the web view or prints up to 16x20" for personal use that it would be worth the switch (I have seen some purely awesome shots from your N7 and Min 58mm f1.2)? I have other cameras I use for various things but my NEX7 is my goto light carry scenic camera used with a Singh Ray stack of various filters. I doubt really seriously if I will ever do many vertical stacked pano (unless I absolutely need the wider field of view) with the merrell as many are doing currently....

I do not have any M glass so the GXR is not even a consideration.....

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Jim, Thanks.

The Ricoh is only 12 MP so not enough mp's for real big prints but they hold well till 40 x 60 cm. Real sharp and clear. I suppose the NEX-7 with it's 24 mp is capable off far bigger prints, but I must admit I never printed anything yet. (I am working on a few books)

The NEX-7 files are very flexeble in PP, as I said and as you probably know, so what does not look so good in the beginning can be changed into something good.

The DP2m is another story, I mean the files have really stunning detail, that I have never seen before. Some people on the FM forum have a lot of problems with banding when they pixel peep at 200% I never encountered it with my camera. I think the guy has a faulty sensor and I think they are pixel peeping the camera to death over there so I stay away from that thread for a while.

But I don't want to disapoint you when you have bought it. Don't blame me :D
I am personally very sathisfied with the output. Of course I started pixel peeping my (long exposures files) as well @ 200% and didn't find anything yet.
I think the camera is great for architecture, structure, landscapes etc. May be less so for portraits. Too sharp! And a light trypod is great for this camera.
The files start to fall apart by higher ISO, so I always stay between 100 and 200 ISO. SPP is quiet simpel but a little quirky, but you don't have to do so much in there. I try to get the exposure and colour/WB right in there before exporing them as TIFF. You can try and download the program for free and use one of the RAW files and play around.

But I still like the NEX as well because it is such a flexible camera also in adapting countless beautifull lenses, which I like. For me the cameras go well together. I would feel limited with only a DP2m. And no EVF, so I have to put my glasse on to compose a shot on the screen :)

Michiel

Jim DE

Thank you Michiel..... So what I think your saying is the Merrell images are flat awesome with little post processing but the NEX is more versatile and the files are workable enough to post process results that are very close to the Merrell.

Pretty much what I am seeing with your excellent harbor and windmill shots. All three's final images are a coin toss as to which appears to have the best IQ. I do truly enjoy your images, Michiel!

Thanks again..... The Merrell still has stirred my interest but I guess I will sit with a pat hand with my NEX and wait and see if Sony does anything with their forveon patent type sensor in the NEX line up in the next year or so. If not or if I can get my hands on a Merrell to try a couple shots with and play with the files at home sooner I may grab a Merrell later.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

Another volcanic image, so to speak. The original is a pano that's 18'000 pixels wide. I find the ever-changing shapes, textures and tones of the different volcanic rocks throughout the image fascinating!

Edit: here a crop to give you a better idea of what the image looks like in print:

Ron Pfister

I've been doing some testing with the D800E and ZF.2 glass lately, and I've noticed that with most lenses, maximum image detail is reached at f/5.6 and degrades at smaller apertures due to diffraction.

I haven't done any such testing (i.e. aperture series) with the NEX-7, but due to it's smaller pixel pitch compared to the D800E, I am now thinking that it might peak rather earlier (around f/4) - as long as the lens can deliver maximum detail at that aperture. Then again, the AA-filter may blur the distinction between f-stops in the f/4 to f/8 range (quite literally).

Have any of you done aperture series with high-quality glass on the NEX-7? I'd be curious to hear your findings!

TIA,

Ron

Edit: I'd like to add that my purpose here is not insane pixel peeping. What I noticed very clearly with the D800E is that at the optimum aperture, the increased detail results in an image that shows high micro-contrast and therefore looks more clear and crisp. I think this is what is called the '3D look' or '3D pop' by many. I had never seen it as clearly before as I have with the D800E. As you close the aperture further from f/5.6, image macro contrast increases (if the subject is three-dimensional, due to increased depth of field), while micro contrast decreases. By f/11 to f/16, the image looks flat and un-engaging compared to f/5.6. The difference is quite remarkable!

Last edited:

fotografz

Hi all, a friend has loaned me a NEX-7 for a while but I have no manual to work from ... the only thing I can't seem to figure out myself is mounting a M lens via a Kipon L/M to NEX adapter. The camera says there is no lens mounted and doesn't allow shooting.

What settings do I do to enable shooting with adapted lenses? Step-by-step instructions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

-Marc