The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

Thorkil

Venice

Nice shots from a very nice city, Michael! I haven’t been travelling that much around in my life, but Venice seems to be the only city (besides my Copenhagen) that I would like to live in for several month. It's a treasury of details, of unbelievable streets, small passages, houses, and life (despite your empty streets where you must have been up very early to avoid the 60.000 inhabitants in the old city + tourists, and perhaps in wintertime?)(and not forgetting the value of beeing in a city without cars!) where it seems that even a lifetime isn't enough to exploit it totally. I've been there perhaps 20-30 times, only stayed there for 14 days at the longest, and each time is a joy and friendly happiness to return back in.
Thorkil​

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Thorkil, thank you :)

Not as often as you but I have been in Venice many times as well. It is always possible to find quiet areas, if you leave the tourist trails. And it is true, you always find new areas, new restaurants and spots in Venice.
I doubt that there are many original Venetians left, because so many people from al over seem live there temporarely.
This time, besides the Art Biennale, we walked a lot around the Cannaregio area and also on the far end past the Bienale Giardini, boat stop Sant Elena.
That is were i took most of my pictures this time and almost no tourist or any body in site :) I find Venice a very hard place to make an original picture because it all so well known and photographed to death.
I very much like the way you did it in the GR thread :thumbs:

Here are some from the Biennale.

Thorkil

Thanks Michiel! And very strong Picture from the Bienale (I must say, a wierd naked women beside the Palladio church at San Giorgio Maggiore! :)). We went there too (my wife are coming from painters famelys both on the mother and father side, so exhibitions we just have to do...., and only on a one-day trip from San Zeno. We did spent to much time at the garden and too short a time at the Arsenale(which were far more interesting), where your Pictures are telling what we missed (and wonderfull pictures there with hairs from Africa).
I don't know how they are counting the inhabitants, but there are surely living a certain amount of the 60.000 there, but you are right, and they perhaps ought to have restrictions, so that people that buy a flat also have to actually live there, else it will become a ghosttown and die slowly, and become an uninteresting museum(we have the same rule i Denmark to try to preserve the Towns).
Cannaregio is nice, but we/I have spend more time in Dorsoduro. This time though I/we retrieved some very nice Places in Castello, that I had been thinking of for several years, but I couldn’t find (I tend to just walk and walk without registration on the map for later on, but somehow I tend to know some part of the town as my pocket, but it’s one big labyrinth!, and you have to carry a good map)
Thorkil
(Ps. have you tried to stay there in the wintertime? That's special! But then you will see it's not quite as dead as one would think. And Winter ....then you get this strange loneliness feeling of the town, but it's still living, and in a way it's a very beautiful period. I was there alone 14 days in marts together with a SWC
, very nice, and very "finger-point-tingling")

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

A little late answer Thorkil :) I have never been there later as oktober. I should try the winter someday. I also would like to be there with fog someday. Summer can be too hot and crowded. We do walk without a map sometimes and it does not always work out well but you do see new things :)

Here is some theatrecal drama from Venice.

Thorkil

I like them, Michiel, specially the last.
Venice do something special to my mood, touching something deep in my roots. It's hard to explain. But the city is filled with different moods, and sometimes they can, some Places, even seem be that strong, that it's sort of hard to cope with, specially the lonely quarters, and specially when staying alone. But luckily there still is a lot of life a lot of Places around in town, one just have to look for them, where one can get filled up upon the mental battery's.
And in wintertimes these strange mental appearances seems even stronger and hardstrucking.
In Winter there were some days with fog, very very dreamingfull. It's feels like taking part in a Orson Welles movie.
I did some Hassy SWC Pictures. I've "sold" my Imacon Flextight Precision scanner (unpacked!...hhmm) against a promise of 100 scans (while I'm not that good at computers and programs etc.), so perhaps one day I can post a couple of them.
Thorkil

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil, thank you :)

Not as often as you but I have been in Venice many times as well. It is always possible to find quiet areas, if you leave the tourist trails. And it is true, you always find new areas, new restaurants and spots in Venice.
I doubt that there are many original Venetians left, because so many people from al over seem live there temporarely.
This time, besides the Art Biennale, we walked a lot around the Cannaregio area and also on the far end past the Bienale Giardini, boat stop Sant Elena.
That is were i took most of my pictures this time and almost no tourist or any body in site :) I find Venice a very hard place to make an original picture because it all so well known and photographed to death.
I very much like the way you did it in the GR thread :thumbs:

Here are some from the Biennale.
Hi Michiel
I've just posted a Venice Hasselblad SWC-Picture, Velvia 50, for you in the
Analog Camera Forum - More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M.
thorkil