The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interesting rumor!

V

Vivek

Pleasing rumors, Michiel. :)

First the AA less D800 from Nikon (least expected!) and now this! I truly hope that camera makers are done with introducing different colored bodies and start to come up with something with value. :D

Stefan Steib

Yes it´s coming and this wind will blow like a tornado.
Just imagine this will be the 36Mpix chip from the Nikon D800..... !!!!
(which is most certainly made by Sony as all the Nikon chips)
Now Leica M or Zeiss ZM glass on this and then: Have FUN !
I don´t have to say what happens with the smaller MF stuff in this scenario.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

douglasf13

My only concern with this rumor is the "crop mode" for E-Mount lenses. I hope SONY makes it a selectable mode (crop/uncropped) so we can use the lenses at their native focal length if desired. Think adapted lenses, full frame at their native length.
I'd bet the crop mode will work just like on the A900 with Sony aps-c lenses. The e-mount lenses will communicate electronically to the body that it should crop to aps-c. Manual lenses should be fine, since they don't communicate anything to the camera body.

I'm betting such a camera will be similar to the NEX-7 with the LA-EA2 adapter, but the focusing motor will probably be in the body, making the a-mount extension more streamlined and less complicated.

dhsimmonds

I wonder where this leaves the A99 36 Mpx FF sensor SLT camera that many of us are waiting for?

Perhaps Sony are leaving this market sector to Nikon's A800?

Ben Rubinstein

The Nikon is also still a rumour technically remember. 2012 will certainly be a fascinating year for equipment however, the year when mirrorless becomes mainstream.

sinwen

Built-in new generation OLED viewfinder.... does it mean the same as the Nex7 or a new generation?
Questions... questions....

Lars

Pardon me for perhaps asking something obvious, but what is meant by a global shutter?

Y.B.Hudson III

"A GLOBAL SHUTTER exposes the entire imager simultaneously. The entire frame is exposed and begins gathering light; when the predetermined “shutter speed” has elapsed, the sensor stops gathering light and turns its current exposure into an electronic image. There is no physical “shutter” that covers and uncovers the sensor; it’s all done with timing. At the start of exposure the entire sensor starts gathering light; at the end of exposure the light-gathering circuitry is turned off and the contents of the sensor are then “read out” to become an image."*

*http://dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/

hopE this hELps...:)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
the year when mirrorless becomes mainstream
Indeed. If this camera comes to pass, I will definitely get one. Imagine it with a CV 50mm Nokton 50/1.5... honestly, my dream go-anywhere camera. What the X-100 could have been, frankly.

retow

Stefan
Somebody just bought a NEX7 for USD 3500 on e-bay. I hope the write off will be at least tax deductible;)

jonoslack

Hmmm. Well, I can see the point,and I'll find it tough to resist, but if the IQ from the NEX7 is as good as MR seems to think, then perhaps it'll be enough for lots of circumstances. Presumably it'll be a NEX9

As for the A99 - I don't see any indication that the NEX9 will stop the A99 - after all, it's not really that different - except in form factor; in just the same way that the NEX7 is not really that different from the A77 - except in form factor and AF speed. I think that there will be a demand for the form factor and AF speed.

How splendid to be able to have a small flexible camera . . . . and a fast substantial camera with the same sensor and lenses . . . with the possibility of using M lenses on the smaller body.

Very exciting

V

Vivek

the year when mirrorless becomes mainstream.

I am unsure of this (ie 2012) despite being one of the early adapters and strong supporters of mirrorless.

There is a storm because of the old lenses kicking around and the possibility to use hundreds of different lenses on tiny cameras. Beyond that, there is pretty much very little.

None of the manufacturers thus far have shown any inkling towards developing a proper flash/lighting system for the mirrorless cams.

I think the potential for the manufacturers are enormous in this area and for the end user, it will a game changing addition when they are available. Creative lighting as we have never seen before and at our finger tips in very compact packages.

fotografz

Great news. Times to fight GAS, sit tight and wait for the real deal.
Yep! All good things come to those who wait.

All my delicious AF Alpha mount Ziess ZAs, and with adapters the M optics ... FF has my vote and money.

Good, now I don't have to even consider anything else until this rumor gets proved or disproved.

-Marc

fotografz

Just imagine this will be the 36Mpix chip from the Nikon D800..... !!!!
(which is most certainly made by Sony as all the Nikon chips)
Now Leica M or Zeiss ZM glass on this and then: Have FUN !

Greetings from Munich
Stefan
That's because there is nothing to say Stefan ... except the "smaller" MFD sensors are already 40 meg now, and the sensor is larger than any 35mm will ever be. Simple math :)

-Marc

Stefan Steib

Marc

you are an optimist. But who should better be judging this than the consumer ? I also think there will be people left who want to pay 4-5 times more for a larger package with less comfort, no Video and maybe a minimum of better results (which nobody really knows yet, don´t forget about autofocus, lowlight focusing with lifepicture...) , but how many will this be ?

I know some people don´t want to hear this, but that´s ok for me.

Have a nice christmas

Stefan

fotografz

Marc

you are an optimist. But who should better be judging this than the consumer ? I also think there will be people left who want to pay 4-5 times more for a larger package with less comfort, no Video and maybe a minimum of better results (which nobody really knows yet, don´t forget about autofocus, lowlight focusing with lifepicture...) , but how many will this be ?

I know some people don´t want to hear this, but that´s ok for me.

Have a nice christmas

Stefan
Well, the comparison you made was to the entry level of MFD ... which is already 40 meg, larger sensor at the low end ... not maybe, or an unknown, it already IS ... and features AF, plus, in some cases modular in design allowing a vast choice of applications using lenses that outperform most any 35mm optic, even from Leica.

Live view is definitely a plus for certain applications, and I believe we will see it on a CMOS Leica M10 ... however, MFD will solve it in other ways as Phase One has begun to already prove with the IQ backs ... and I believe we will see more of that innovation in future, but continuously improved for users of systems dedicated to IQ, and real world working needs.

I think you continually confuse enthusiastic consumer with dedicated photographer.

-Marc