The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss E-Sonnar and the NEX'

V

Vivek

If the NEX-5N has offset microlenses and is apparently unique in the NEX line-up because of this and the E-Sonnar is being released with the NEX-7 which apparently lacks the offset microlenses, wouldn't the NEX-C3 a better camera for the 24mm E-Sonnar than the NEX-5N?

FWIW, the E-Sonnar is on my future buy list.

pegelli

Vivek, I wouldn't worry too much, if it's a new lens specifically designed for E-mount the colour shift in the corners will be taken into consideration in the design (like with the 16/2.8) and not a problem.

I think the colour shift in the corners with shorter lenses is mainly with older/short RF lenses.

douglasf13

A forum friend of mine has told me that his new 24/1.8 exhibits purple shift, even on his 5N. I'm waiting to see some CornerFix profiles for it, which he is going to email to me, but, if that's the case, it is likely to be worse on the NEX-7.

T

theprophe

that would be pretty crappy if it had purple shift, sony should fix it in firmware if thats the case by adding a profile

douglasf13

that would be pretty crappy if it had purple shift, sony should fix it in firmware if thats the case by adding a profile
The Sony 16 has purple shift, too, BTW, but it is better on the 5N compared to the 5.

This is partly why many believe that Sony didn't proactively design special micro lenses only for the 5N. Why would they not do so on the NEX-7? The improvements in the 5N are very likely small filter pack differences, or maybe a slight change in filter distance from the sensor, or maybe the higher pixel density of the NEX-7 exacerbates the issue, etc? I think the 5N corner performance is a bit of a happy accident.

pegelli

That would certainly be unexpected and not good, even the 16/2.8 doesn't have the best corners, but you don't need cornerfix for a purple shift. If the 5N is already having problems, what about my bare 5 :confused:

I've asked the question in the Nex 7 thread, where the first pictures with the 24/1.8 start showing up.

The Sony 16 has purple shift, too, BTW, but it is better on the 5N compared to the 5.
Douglas, I don't have the 16/2.8 but borrowed one for a whole weekend and I just looked back at my shots and I see some general vignetting (easily fixed with the standard profile in lightroom) but it is very even in all 3 colour channels when I look at them before applying the profile. Maybe I'm not looking good enough, do you have examples of what it looks like?

Last edited:

douglasf13

That would certainly be unexpected and not good, even the 16/2.8 doesn't have the best corners, but you don't need cornerfix for a purple shift. If the 5N is already having problems, what about my bare 5 :confused:

I've asked the question in the Nex 7 thread, where the first pictures with the 24/1.8 start showing up.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't think the color shift in the 16 is worth messing with. It is subtle. Please take all of this with a grain of salt, because I'm waiting to see evidence of the 24/1.8 shift, so nothing's certain, at this point.

V

Vivek

Color shift is the least of the problems with the 16/2.8. It is just plain bad.

If 24/1.8 does not fare well with the 5N and is better with the old 5 or the new 7, it would make sense to me.

douglasf13

Color shift is the least of the problems with the 16/2.8. It is just plain bad.

If 24/1.8 does not fare well with the 5N and is better with the old 5 or the new 7, it would make sense to me.
Sure, I'm just saying that even Sony lenses have color shift, and the 24/1.8 may be no different. There's no reason to think that the 24/1.8 will actually be better on the edges of the 7 over the 5N. Even if the 5N does have a different micro lens setup, which I don't believe is the case, it won't make things worse for the new Zeiss lens.

V

Vivek

Sure, I'm just saying that even Sony lenses have color shift, and the 24/1.8 may be no different. There's no reason to think that the 24/1.8 will actually be better on the edges of the 7 over the 5N.

I suspect it will be. What if the 24/1.8 is a telecentric (may not be 100% but close to it)? Since this is the first new design from Zeiss, for the NEX, I have no reason not to suspect that would be the case (what a complicated sentence!:eek:) That is the reason.

Even if the 5N does have a different micro lens setup, which I don't believe is the case, it won't make things worse for the new Zeiss lens.
It would if the 5N has a different micro-lens layout and if the 24/1.8 is already designed to be projecting an image with no or minimal light loss in the corners.

If anyone is interested, B&H has the lens in stock right now. I just ordered one and it will arrive on Wed.
Apparently the nex-7 is already sold out.

douglasf13

It would if the 5N has a different micro-lens layout and if the 24/1.8 is already designed to be projecting an image with no or minimal light loss in the corners.
I've discussed this with a gentleman in the industry via email, because I was wondering the same thing. He explained to me that, even if microlenses are designed to better interact with more angled light rays from symmetrical wide angle lenses, there is minimal effect on other focal lengths with more telecentric designs, outside of the possibility of slightly more vignetting at longer telephoto lengths. Even DSLRs with retrofocus wide angles could use better micro lenses than what they are currently using.

philber

I tried the ZA 24 with my 5N. While it was the first Zeiss lens which I declined to buy, there was no discernible colour shift. And I very probably would have seen it, because (a) I am sensitive to it, and (b) part of my test shots showed the sky in the corner of the pic.