The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7 + Leica R?

lowep

Is using Leica R lenses on Nex-7 a good idea? What adapter is needed? Have you seen any images with this combo on the internet?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Jono has a nice thread on focus peaking (in the Leica area) .

You can find the Leica M and Leica R novoflex mounts at B&H . Plus plenty of less expensive versions on ebay .

The issues in from my perspective with R on Nex :

1. Balance ...how well do the lenses handle on the much smaller Sony Nex bodies . The Leica M glass seems to be a better fit . However if I used the 180/2.8 APO as a reference ...the balance point is under the lens .

2. Size ...one definite advantage of the Nex bodies is a smaller size and weight . I would tend to favor a M lens over a R lens of the same focal length.

I did find that Novoflex is making a lens bracket that provides a forward tripod mount . Wraps around the adapter so its not perfect ... Not sure I would mount NEx body with a heavy R lens on a tripod mount attached to the camera . (its NOTMN14 @B&H).

Godfrey

Is using Leica R lenses on Nex-7 a good idea? What adapter is needed? Have you seen any images with this combo on the internet?
Roger addressed the adapter and balance/handling, Jono's been showing photos with them on the NEX 5n that are very appealing.

From an imaging point of view, R glass will likely perform better than M lenses, particularly with the shorter focal lengths. NEX bodies are not generally optimized for the M lenses like the Leica M8/9 or Ricoh GXR-M (although the NEX 5n does pretty well, better than the NEX 7 by all account).

SLR short focal length designs tend to have a ray trace more similar to lenses optimized for digital sensors, so in general SLR lenses adapt better to digital capture use.

V

Vivek

Is using Leica R lenses on Nex-7 a good idea?

In general, no, IMO.

The NEX-7 is feather light even compared to the simplest of the R lenses (not including an adapter!). The R primes mount, handle and perform beautifully on my SL2 as they always did.

lowep

So the size and weight combo of Nex-7 and Leica R lenses may be about as crazy as putting a 24MP chip in a credit card; quite doable with an easily available adapter; and maybe even produces nicer images than Leica M lenses - providing that it is not used on a tripod with a Leica lens like this one, right?

jonoslack

Help - really busy - big work think tomorrow morning - no time for explanations.

R lenses are fantastic on the NEX7 - really fine - the handling is only odd for 5 minutes - after that you're holding the lens with your left hand (where you focus). Focus peaking makes focusing great. . . . . I haven't touched a tripod yet . . . I got a cheap Taiwanese adaptor which is also fine and focuses to infinity (novoflex were out of stock).

The results are also fantastic - it's a grand combination producing fantastic results - next question?

Michiel Schierbeek

Did not use them on my NEX 7 yet, but I certainly will. They perform great on my Panasonic GH2 and Ricoh GXR, so why not on a NEX.

The 50/2 and 90 Elmarit are not that big. Just a little heavy. Very stable.

Even the APO Telyt 180/3.4, which is a little big and without tripod mount, is no problem.
It is just that you don't want to drag a heavy lens like that around all day, because instictivly you want to support the lens to care for the mounts of those small bodys.

I use a lot of cheap Pixco adapters, bought in Hong Kong from different vendors. They have them with or without tripod mount, which you can screw of in some cases.
Michiel

lowep

Thanks very much for the encouraging input :)

Had looked all over the Sony forum for Jono's sample images so was happy for the tip to search the Leica section where I quickly found some here. I am not sure why but there is something in these images about the colors and tonality that reminds me of photos I had taken with my Leica years ago - maybe wishful thinking?

Apart from the difference in MP do you expect the Nex-7 would give similar results to the Nex-5 or is there differences in the way the newer model is put together that produces different results?

How about crop factor? Is it 1.6 ie 50mm R lens images the same field of view as an 80 mm lens on a 35 mm camera?

Does the Nex-7 have manual focus confirmation with Leica R lenses + adapter?

And one more question: any comments on experiences using the EVF?

Jono hope your big work thing went well :thumbup:

yatlee

I've been using Leica R lens with Sony A77 while waiting for the NEX-7. My R lenses are remount to Sony Alpha mount. So, I can make use of the in body stablization of Sony DSL body. The A77 has the same sensor and EVF of the NEX-7. Once you try the EVF and focus using Sony's focusing peak function, you don't want to go back to other DSLR with just a tiny dot to focus confirm.

Crop factor is 1.5x.

Here are few sample I took just the past weekend.

1. Leica R 35mm Summicron

C3 by yatlee, on Flickr

2. Leica R 19mm

B3 by yatlee, on Flickr

3. Another R 19mm

B2 by yatlee, on Flickr

4. Leica R 35mm Summicron

E4 by yatlee, on Flickr

5. Leica R 35mm Summicron

E2 by yatlee, on Flickr

6. Leica R 100mm Elmarit

D2 by yatlee, on Flickr

7. Leica R 35mm Summicron

E1 by yatlee, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

lowep

Thanks Yatlee for posting these very nice images. Seeing is believing. Good idea to get the lenses remounted though am not sure about the cost? Also curious why you would consider moving to Nex-7 if you already have A77. Is it for the smaller size or does the Nex-7 have other advantages?