The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX 7: Can the HVL-F20AM trigger an external Sony flash

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am using one of these on the A850—can I use the same setup, I wonder, on the NEX 7 (HVL-F20AM triggers the big HVL-F58AM in a softbox)

TIA, KL

etrigan63

Kit,
the HVL-F20AM is listed as a NEX-7 accessory for wirelessly triggering Sony strobes. The Alpha flashguns also work with the NEX-7, but as Vivek says, they are neither small nor elegant.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Carlos, that is good news. I wonder how one sets up the slave? Currently, you need to fit the slave to the camera first, select wireless, then half-press the shutter—this puts the slave into the required mode. Repeat for any others you want to put into slave mode. Then you take it off the camera, check that it's flashing the red port light at you (telling you it's in slave mode) then any time the F20AM fires, so does the F58. It's a great system.

If the units work in a similar way on the NEX 7, brilliant. Thanks!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Carlos;

[rant]I see that the writers and translators of Japanese technical manuals have not improved significantly since I lived there, for five years, almost 30 years ago... I used to write manuals (I hope some of the better ones) from the device and the specs, in Japanese. [/rant]

In any case, that's excellent news. Thank you.