The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7 + CV, and Zeiss ZM lenses

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Sergio, looks looks like a LOT of barrel distortion on the left side (the ochre building edge); is this a feature of this lens; I was not aware of it? Moiré noted!

Kit, the effect is exaggerated by perspective distortion,camera rotation and also a little by the fact that tubing is not perfectly straight.
Leica declares approx. 2,4% maximum distortion, and it is correctable e.g. with DxO tools.
in this shot you can better evaluate it

_1050102 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

This elmarit, in my limited experience,is one of the best (if not the best) wide angle lens.MTF diagrams are simply spectacular, and general rendition is at the same time extremely sharp and natural.

Sergio

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Sergio; understand completely. I had all the Leica-R lenses at one stage and the best of the Zeiss range (the now-fabled 21/2.8 Distagon); the problem with that lens was its 'moustache' distortion which is difficult to correct completely.

This distortion looks simple, which is good. A fabulous lens, definitely; thanks.

mbroomfield

....... The hole in my lens lineup is the effective 24-28mm range. Any ideas? SLR wides or a crop sensor wide zoom?
Jim, I carry the 21-35 Vario Elmar. I don't have a 7 but use it on a 5N with an R-M converter + Hawks as it doesn't focus too close. I think it's excellent and can cover the range of 4 lenses, although not a fast prime obviously.

Mike