The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Zeiss 24mm 1.8

peterv

Indeed Quentin.

Got mine last week and though I'm in FF-speak more of a 75 mm guy, this lens has not come off my NEX 7 ever since it arrived.

Just playing around for now, getting to know both the camera and the 24 ZE.

Here's a view on the village we live these days, 1/500, f5,6 100 ISO.

B

BenjaminJ

My guess:
1 Contax 28
2 ZA 24

3 ZA 24
4 Contax 28

5 Contax 28
6 ZA 24

7 ZA 24

The giveaways are the smoother bokeh of the ZA 24 and the slightly wider angle / more perspective distortion. The shots with the less smooth bokeh remind me of my Contax 28/2.8 anyway. Also, shot #6 shows more CA than #5, which points in the direction of the ZA 24.

Safe to say it blows the kit lens into the weeds. Simply another league. Sharper wide open than the Kit lens is at optimum aperture.
Sounds like you have a bad copy of the kit lens, or a stellar copy of the ZA 24. See this comparison with the kit lens: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1076242

philber

I did my own comparison and posted it on Fred Miranda as well. IMHO, there is nothing "wrong" with the ZA 24 except for too much CA for my taste, even though that can be cleared up in post, and it shines close up, but, when I compared it to other top-flight lenses, there just wasn't enough that was right about it, and I returned it; I was so disappointed that I even tried two copies, but to no avail. First Zeiss lens I tried and didn't buy.

Amin

Lovely morning light shots, Jono.

What I'm seeing from this lens looks great. It's the one bit of gear I'm actually lusting for. Trying to resist though.

Amin

Please keep posting to this thread! I don't part with $1k easily, so I need a bit more nudging :).

jonoslack

Please keep posting to this thread! I don't part with $1k easily, so I need a bit more nudging :).
Hi Amin - working today, so not so much photography - Quentin has been posting some shots in the 'fun with nex7 thread'

Do you have a 5n? or a 7?

all the best

Paratom

I did my own comparison and posted it on Fred Miranda as well. IMHO, there is nothing "wrong" with the ZA 24 except for too much CA for my taste, even though that can be cleared up in post, and it shines close up, but, when I compared it to other top-flight lenses, there just wasn't enough that was right about it, and I returned it; I was so disappointed that I even tried two copies, but to no avail. First Zeiss lens I tried and didn't buy.
Shooting a little more with that lens I can confirm that when shooting in strong contrast ( a tree against sun) there will be quite a bit CA.
So if someone is looking for a landscape lens for "heavy" light conditions there might be better lenses.
For the prupose I use it (when there is not so much light) and for most "normal" conditions it seems to work very good though.

I think its my fav. Nex lens - allready at f1.8 its nice and sharp, and I see it as an advantage to have AF, it also delivers smooth bokeh.
I wish there would also be a 30mm or 35mm lens of such speed/quality.

Hosermage

Sorry for a newbie question... is strong CA the fault of the lens, or the sensor? I only ask because I get lots of CA from all lenses on my NEX5. I've tried: ZM50/1.5, CV35/1.2, DR 'Cron 50/2, and even the kit lenses.

My guess:
1 Contax 28
2 ZA 24

3 ZA 24
4 Contax 28

5 Contax 28
6 ZA 24

7 ZA 24

The giveaways are the smoother bokeh of the ZA 24 and the slightly wider angle / more perspective distortion. The shots with the less smooth bokeh remind me of my Contax 28/2.8 anyway. Also, shot #6 shows more CA than #5, which points in the direction of the ZA 24.
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Those are correct.

A couple from our remodel, a few from lunch at an Austin favorite - Tacodeli, and one high contrast to get a feel for CA.

The ZA definitely exhibits a healthy dose of CA but not enough to bother me at all.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

From today with the Zeiss + NEX-7, Lee, who runs a new hand-crafted Pizza restaurant in Shoreditch

And one of his delicious creations