The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

APO Extender 1.4 R with Sony adapter

jonoslack

Hi There
I've been doing some research here, I've managed to get hold of an APO extender for a half sensible price (they vary in price wildly).

I'm planning to convert it to Sony A mount to use on my A77 with my R lenses
Of course, this means that I can use my R mount lenses on the A77 without having to convert them, and converting ROM lenses is an expensive operation (need to be sent to Spain)

I thought it might be worth sharing the fruits of my research

First of all the page from RG Lewis

APO Extender compatability

Of course, you also need to dial in the crop factor, so that the:
Leica R 28-90 will be a svelte 60-190 f4/5.6
Leica 180 f2.8 APO will he a 375mm f4!!

This sounds like fun.

I then had a look at David Lladó's site and confirmed with him that it just needed a standard mount:

Prices and Ordering

There are also mount fitting instructions on his site:
Fitting Leitax Mount

It'll be a while before it's all arrived and fitted, and I'll report back then. Hopefully this information will be useful to someone!

all the best

jonoslack

Hi Terry
I can't claim credit for the idea - it came from someone called K-H in this thread:
I think!

Amazing the variation in price for the extender, I've seen them go from about $500 to over $2000!!

Incidentally - from a good source in the states:

Popflash 1.4 Extender
Decent price too - about what I paid in the UK from Richard Caplan

jonoslack

BACK ON YOUR HEADS LADS
Unfortunately, the extender arrived today, and despite the RG Lewis website instructions, it doesn't (even remotely) fit on the 28-90, and it doesn't fit on my version of the 180 f2.8 APO either.
Doug Told Me . . . Doug Knows!
Hopefully they'll give me a credit - hopefully!

I hope that I haven't inadvertently give anyone else a bum steer.

all the best

Knorp

Hi there Jono,

I'm sorry for your 'mishap' :(
I could be wrong but I always thought there were different 1.4x extenders, like one specifically for 2.8/280.
Well I'm sure you'll find one that fits.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Oops, just read the instructions coming with the 28-90:

"Photography with Leica Apo-extenders
The LEICA APO-EXTENDER-R 1.4x is not designed for wide-angle lenses and cannot be mounted on the LEICA VARIO-ELMARIT-R 28-90 f/2.8-4.5 ASPH.
By contrast, the LEICA APO-EXTENDER-R 2x (Order. No. 11249) can be used."​

BTW I'm a bit puzzled by that 2x Order. No. 11249, because it's the same number for the 1.4x. A misprint ?

Unfortunately there's no word regarding non-APO-EXTENDERS.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
BACK ON YOUR HEADS LADS
Unfortunately, the extender arrived today, and despite the RG Lewis website instructions, it doesn't (even remotely) fit on the 28-90, and it doesn't fit on my version of the 180 f2.8 APO either.
Doug Told Me . . . Doug Knows!
Hopefully they'll give me a credit - hopefully!

I hope that I haven't inadvertently give anyone else a bum steer.

all the best
Too bad Jono .. the 180 Apo and the 1.4X extender were a favorite combination on my DMR about a 350FOV and F4 was a nice combination. I had to search for the newer 180 and to find the starting serial number where the 1.4x would fit.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hey Roger, didn't Leica offer a factory conversion on the "older" 180 APO so you could use the 1.4x? I seem to recall something to that effect a few years back....

doug

Hey Roger, didn't Leica offer a factory conversion on the "older" 180 APO so you could use the 1.4x? I seem to recall something to that effect a few years back....
Mine is an older model that had been converted by its previous owner before he sold it to me. If he's reading this thread could you un-register it with Leica so I can register it in my name? Thanks!