The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"New" Sigma NEX lenses

Rawfa

According to Sonyalpharumors Sigma is about to release 2 "new" NEX mount lenses:
Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN

Are Sigma and Tamron braindead? With ALL the lenses out there that they could come up with they chose to release EXACTLY the ones that Sony already has?!

I honestly hope that Sonyalpharumors is wrong about this and this 30mm is at least an f1.8 and the 19mm is smaller than Sony´s nex 16mm pancake.

sagar

hmm same lenses are posted as m4/3 lenses on 43rumors site. Either Sigma is releasing same lenses to all mirror-less mounts or the rumor guy (same owner of both sites) is goofing up something

Rawfa

If instead of a 19mm they would have opted for a 23mm (more or less 35mm equivalent) they could have potential winner on their hands.

Bugleone

A 19mm is effectively a 28mm equivalent,..so this would be a useful addition to some people (although not me as I want the 23mm).......I supose we will have everyone making the exact same focal lengths....sigh!

Quentin_Bargate

We need a mid-range "EX" zoom from Sigma. Not a consumer zoom like the 18-200 offerings from Sony and Tamron, but a premium quality shorter zoom, say 18-100mm. These new lesnes from Sigma look like re-heats from 4/3 cameras. Dull, boring, not innovative, not interested.

alphaman

A 19mm is effectively a 28mm equivalent,..so this would be a useful addition to some people (although not me as I want the 23mm).......I supose we will have everyone making the exact same focal lengths....sigh!
I agree!

I can see myself buying the 19mm (if it's priced correctly) as it will be a useful focal length and it has to be said that it looks a whole lot nicer than the silvery Sony finish (not a winner for Sony!).

I would like to see a 24/2, a 60/2 and a 135/2.8. It seems odd that Sigma and Sony have opted for such similar focal lengths. One suggestion that keeps presenting itself is that the DP3 will have interchangeable lenses ...

V

Vivek

Rafa, I don't know why you titled it as "New"...

They are new. These 2 lenses carry the DN designation.

D = Digital

N = Neo

;)

jonoslack

We need a mid-range "EX" zoom from Sigma. Not a consumer zoom like the 18-200 offerings from Sony and Tamron
I don't think the Sony 18-200 is a 'consumer zoom'. In reality it's a video zoom, clearly designed primarily for their e mount video cameras.

In actual use, the quality is really good - even if it's silver and ugly and rather slow! I'm continually impressed with it.
Dunno about the Tamron, apart from the fact that it's cheaper and black!

How's yours?

. . . . and while I'm asking, how's the 30 macro?

all the best

Amin

If instead of a 19mm they would have opted for a 23mm (more or less 35mm equivalent) they could have potential winner on their hands.
I agree. A cheaper, smaller alternative to the Zeiss would have been attractive to me. I could be interested in the 19 though, although my first reaction to the Sigma announcements was :wtf:.

roweraay

Not much cheaper around these parts - B&H pricing is $740 for the Tamron, $800 for the Sony. Will be interesting to see how these compare.
Agreed. The Tamron is close enough in price to the Sony, that price alone would never be a consideration to go with the Tamron.

The Tamron's advantages are that it comes in all-black color, is noticeably smaller and slightly lighter, which in turn makes it a better fit with the petite e-mount cameras. I just picked up the Tamron yesterday, along with the NEX7 and hemmed and hawed a bit before finally going with the Tamron.....price was never a consideration in picking it over the equivalent Sony.

To be quite honest, if the Sony came in black, I would have gone with it over the Tamron, just because it is a first-party lens, than a 3rd party product.