The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Step Down Rings for Sony NEX - Hood Alternate

Erik_A

Does anyone use Step Down Rings as a Sony NEX 16mm Hood Alternate? I want to do something like pentax did with the 40mm pancake lens hood (but for less than $65.00) so I bought a 49mm - 46mm as well as a 46mm-37mm step down ring. Do you think that this will work?

etrigan63

Worth a try but don't forget to factor in the cost of a new lens cap too. CV did something similar on their 40mm pancake SL II lens for Canon/Nikon/Pentax.

V

Vivek

Alphaman, That would be awesome (lightweight, functional and sleek)!:thumbs:

Is that available separately?

Erik_A

The NEX 30/3.5 macro "hood" (alc-sh113), seems to be a 1/4" plastic extension of the lens with a small rectangle cut-out, attaching to the bayonet mount in front becoming an integrated part of the lens. It isn't sold separately though (maybe directly through Sony).

I don't think that it provides enough hood protection for 16mm though since it is not long enough.

alphaman

I haven't seen it listed (yet) as a part or for sale but I think it's probably available from Sony direct. The part number is ALC-SH113.

As to Erik A's comment on protection, I'm not sure what he means; if it's to protect the lens from damage then no hood was designed to do that, however if he means in terms of function, I would expect that it is as good as any wide angle hood.

I haven't noticed any problems with using it and am glad I have one hood that suits both my 30/3.5 and my 16/2.8 and at the same time is small and discrete.

V

Vivek

Thanks, alphaman! I think I will ask someone to think about making a similar plastic hood.

Really fabulous!:thumbs:

alphaman

Alphaman - does it vignette the 16mm?
No, no vignetting even at f22.

I tried this combination out when I got my 30/3.5 and was pleasantly surprised that it worked.

Flare-wise - I have no alternatives to compare it to (some say that the 18-55 hood will work too), but generally while this hood isn't perfect, it works quite well.

V

Vivek

I checked the 30mm's hood on the 16mm, as alphaman pointed out, it does fit with a bit of tiny force. It isn't as smooth a fit as on the 30mm macro lens.

No vignetting problems at all.

Erik_A

Finally got my 49-46 and 46-37 step down rings and a 37mm cap from Hong Kong. See attached photos - I am very happy with the result - just as effective as the Pentax 40mm pancake hood in my OP (and just as awesome looking) What do you think?