The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One wish for Nex7 firmware

Paratom

After "playing" with the Nex 7 for 2 days i am pretty amazed by that camera.
The handling and IQ more than fulfill my expectations so far.
There is just one thing I wish for: settings for auto iso: let us choose max ISO and longest exp time for autoiso.
In many areas the Nex7 offers soooo many options (more than I really need) for customization. But this would be really usefull for me.

Terry

I would like to be able to crank auto ISO up to 6400 for instances that I need it. But I would want the camera firmware to have both a shutter speed limit and a user selectable Auto ISO limit. For my personal shooing, in some situations I would put a limit of 1600 and others 6400. I don't go crazy and limit what ISOs I can use. If the light is that bad I limit the size of output that i use. I'd rather have a small shot than no shot. Also, processing improves over time. Even between LR3 and LR4 people are saying there are some shots where LR3 couldn't recover highlight properly that LR4 is doing a good job with.

Last edited:

peterv

I agree with Tom and Terry, this would be a useful addition in a future firmware update. Though for me not absolutely necessary. I find changing ISO, f-stop and shutter so easy on the NEX 7 that working in manual mode is very comfortable. Maybe even less hassle than diving in to the menu to set auto ISO limits, etc. YMMV

Ken, as Terry says, it depends on your output, but I think 3200 can be used without hesitation if needed.

jsparks

I don't have a NEX-7 (yet), but with various cameras, I've found that switching from aperture priority to shutter priority when using Auto ISO solves the minimum shutter speed problem. None of my cameras with Auto ISO seem to handle minimum shutter speed as I would.

Paratom

I don't have a NEX-7 (yet), but with various cameras, I've found that switching from aperture priority to shutter priority when using Auto ISO solves the minimum shutter speed problem. None of my cameras with Auto ISO seem to handle minimum shutter speed as I would.
Yes, thats an option but sometimes you want to control the depth of field and not allways use full open aparture.

jonoslack

I quite agree Tom
if you're using 3rd party lenses, then the camera doesn't know the focal length, so it would be great to fix a minimum shutter speed on auto ISO (and a higher ISO than 1600)

Leica do this very nicely.

redsim74

+1 for minimum shutter speed (or even minimum Auto ISO).

Possibly my biggest gripe with the 5N is that it favours ISO 100 too readily, occasionally leaving me with shutter speeds too low to freeze even slight movement. This is with e-mount lenses I might add.

Godfrey

Hard to believe they left that out. They threw the rest of the kitchen sink into this little camera ... !

G

Paratom

by the way - while the S2 has it and the M9 has it the Leica X1 you can set it but the shortest exp time limit you can set for the x1 is 1/30!!!! This is as usufull as not having it.

It is just a difference if we want to photograph stills or people and moving subjects.

The very best integration of auto iso I found in the K5 where you have a mode where you can set aparture and exposure time and exp comp and then the camera will choose the ISO. Great!!! I used it all the time.
All cameras should have that IMO.

peterv

1 (Drive Mode) on the control wheel [Bracket: Cont.]. Or, MENU [Camera] [Drive Mode] [Bracket: Cont.].
2 Option desired mode.
To cancel the bracket, press (Drive Mode) and select [Single Shooting].

C

chals

I would like to assign both top tri-navi wheels for moving the focuspoint, one down, the other up. And one way to lock the videobutton, record 23minutes of useless video yesterday.

V

Vivek

And one way to lock the videobutton, record 23minutes of useless video yesterday.

I fully support that! Difficult know when it is pressed accidentally and too slow to shut it off, draining the battery in the process and taking up card space.