The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony does a Panasonic?!

V

Vivek

I have an odd experience with the Sony batteries.

The original ones that came with the NEX-5 and the 7 are doing well (on the 7).

I had bought two extra SONY NP-FW50 batteries in their original sealed covers from a vendor in HK (this was a while ago). Everything looks exactly the same as real thing. These have worked fine with the NEX-5.

But..when I try to use them on the NEX-7, after 1 minute or so, the camera says, "Incompatible battery" and refuses to function anymore. If I poer up and take a picture quickly, it is possible to take one snap before the message comes.

Two things appear to the case:

1. The "sealed" "originals" I bought were fake.

2. Sony NEX-7 does not appear to allow the use of 3rd party batteries (and/or Sony fakes).

Could anyone (I know it is only a few at the moment) check if #2 is the case?

Thanks!

I have an odd experience with the Sony batteries.

The original ones that came with the NEX-5 and the 7 are doing well (on the 7).

I had bought two extra SONY NP-FW50 batteries in their original sealed covers from a vendor in HK (this was a while ago). Everything looks exactly the same as real thing. These have worked fine with the NEX-5.

But..when I try to use them on the NEX-7, after 1 minute or so, the camera says, "Incompatible battery" and refuses to function anymore. If I poer up and take a picture quickly, it is possible to take one snap before the message comes.

Two things appear to the case:

1. The "sealed" "originals" I bought were fake.

2. Sony NEX-7 does not appear to allow the use of 3rd party batteries (and/or Sony fakes).

Could anyone (I know it is only a few at the moment) check if #2 is the case?

Thanks!
the nex-5n and later nexs check to see if the battery is OEM. there may be fakes out there that bypass this check.

V

Vivek

That is OK (well, just like Panasonic, I do not like this sort of behaviors from camera companies) at least for 3rd party batteries. The ones in question look exactly as in this picture (from BH photo site) and cost the pretty much the same.

What is unclear also is that it takes the camera about a minute before coming up with the "incompatible battery" message while allowing even one picture to be taken. :confused:

k-hawinkler

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for the warning. That's good to know.
Where did you buy your extra battery?

I got an extra battery from B&H in New York.
So far, as far as I know, I haven't gotten any fakes of any kind from them.
I'll see what happens once I get the NEX-7.

Thanks again. Regards, K-H.

Terry

That is OK (well, just like Panasonic, I do not like this sort of behaviors from camera companies) at least for 3rd party batteries. The ones in question look exactly as in this picture (from BH photo site) and cost the pretty much the same.

What is unclear also is that it takes the camera about a minute before coming up with the "incompatible battery" message while allowing even one picture to be taken. :confused:
Send the battery in to Sony as defective and see what they say.

Godfrey

That is OK (well, just like Panasonic, I do not like this sort of behaviors from camera companies) at least for 3rd party batteries. ...
I guess I've just gotten tired of fussing over stuff like this. Whenever I buy a camera, I buy two spare OEM batteries and consider it part of the cost of the camera. I figure the battery is a much an essential part of the camera as the lens and I might as well just get the ones the manufacturer certifies as being appropriate.

I've only once completely worn out an OEM battery, where I've probably gone through a dozen aftermarket batteries in the past decade.

V

Vivek

In principle, I have 4 "original" Sony batteries. Two do not work. I am trying to dig out the information on the vendor and also send the whole thing to Sony.nl (likely I will hear from them it is not a "Sony.nl" product since it isn't purchased within Holland) since they are of no use to me.

Bugleone

If this is shown to be true with no get around then thats me out of Sony when my NEX 3 becomes 'uneconomic to repair, just renew'.....

It needs to be shouted out that Sony are a ROTTEN company with highly exploitive and questionable business/marketing policies. They have always charged the highest prices for their accessories and the old 'battery rippoff' made compulsory is, frankly, right up their street.....

.........It's not like it's a small difference in price!

redsim74

Batteries are faked, some very convincingly, for many manufacturers. The same goes for flash cards.

While they may work to some extent, there's no telling what a counterfeit accessory may do to your camera - especially one that is supplying it power.

I have no problem with Sony checking for cheap but convincing fakes (as opposed to alternate branding, within spec "clones"). Sony has had enough problems with their own batteries catching fire/exploding in laptops and phones to worry about knock-offs.

If they do turn out to be OEM batteries then Sony should replace them under warranty.