The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX5 + Tamron 18-200

hot

Panos NEX5

NEX5 + Sigma 18-200 OS

NEX5 + Sigma 18-200 OS

NEX5 + Tamron 18-200 VC

NEX5 + Tamron 18-200 VC

hot

Both are fine lenses, Sigma = € 300, Tokina = € 600

Sigma is for Canon (Lumix, Samsung, ..) works with NEX only manually.
But this is no problem. NEX has excellent focussing methods.

Sigma fits ALL cameras, Tamron only fits NEX.

Quentin_Bargate

One of the advantages of thre NEX system is the huge range of lenses that can be used via an adapter. We now have two of the Tamrons - one is for my wife and her NEX 5n. She loves it.

hot

That's true - I am using 28 lenses with my NEX5 (and within some days also with NEX7)

pegelli

Seems like a great lens (that 18-200 I mean). The 300 € extra vs. the Sigma buys you autofocus and a much smaller package (lighter, less thick and shorter, especially thinking the Sig still needs the adapter to fit) so it makes good sense with a Nex. Still a lot of money to think about so not everybody will think it's worth it.
Only thing that struck me was a lot of "jaggies" in the two shots of the rower (especially along the oar). Did you sharpen those extra in PP or did you use an extra sharpness setting in the camera? Or are they just downsizing artifacts? In none of the other shots it's so obvious.

hot

Photos are out of camera, only resized and (automatically) sharpened. No other postprocessing.
Of course Tamron 18-200 is "better" lens for NEX - automatic, smaller, less weight.

pegelli

Thanks hot, agree with you. I already have more than enough lenses, even for my Nex but this one is still tempting.

The other thing I noticed is how very precise the exif reading of the focal length setting is. My old Tammy 28-200 goes in steps of 5 mm at the short end and much larger at the long end. This one seems to even work first decimal numbers. Amazing.

pegelli

I use FxIF in Firefox.

Of your series above it reports the following focal length:
--

This seems very precise, allthough I doubt it's fully accurate :bugeyes:

hot

Last summer ... sniefff ... not -10° and cold wind

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Nice fisheye shots, hot - but the weather looks cold, not hot;)

The EXIF reported focal length with the Tamron is very precise.

hot

Weather -10°C, very cold wind, icy streets.

But I am fit for NorthPole .. better than at Oimjakon/Russia,
-71.2°C (January 1926) and +34.6°C (June 2010)