The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 30/3.5 Macro for the NEX-7

V

Vivek

For a long time, I thought this was a rebadged 30/3.5 that Sony made in the Alpha mount. Part of that thinking comes from the lack of access to the lens data from Sony (if anyone has the original Sony page that shows the lens diagram, MTF data, etc, please post here).

Complicating the situation is the fact that it is nearly 1/5th the price of the better known Sony Zeiss E-Sonnar 24/1.8.

The 24/1.8 costs ~999 Euros (949 in some places)

and

The 30/3.5 costs 208 Euros (lowest price).

The conventional wisdom of "you get what you pay for", plays some trick (not a huge factor but is a factor).

All the initial impressions I had were incorrect. The 30/3.5 in E-mount is a new design.

Auto focus (not that useful for close ranges, especially while going near the 1:1 magnification) is very silent. The lens hood is a riot. Just efficient and compact.:thumbs:

The lens delivers when it comes to close-ups and macros. Simply, without any doubt, it is the sharpest for the NEX-7. I am glad that I bought one.:) [Now, I await the delivery of the 24/1.8, which is also a superb lens , albeit for a different use.]

I have posted this test snap in another thread.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Quentin_Bargate

I have one but have not used mine much. Pity Sony did not include VR and it is a little short of an ideal macro focal length, but I agree it is a decent performer.

V

Vivek

Shorter focal length necessitates closer working distances which in turn obviates VR. If I try a "handheld macro", it is almost always with a flash synched to the highest value.

It would be nice if Sony would make a wireless macro flash that fits the 30/3.5 macro (i.e., compact and light weight).

Quentin_Bargate

VR is alays useful, Vivek. A macro lens can also be used in non-Macro mode. they left it out to save money, which relfects the view Sony originally took of the NEX line.

V

Vivek

Quentin, I am not big on VR (that is me). Even if one gains ~2 stops (as is the common understanding), it does not do much for close ups. For low magnifications, may be. For those purposes, I might want a fast lens. I hope Zeiss will make a 30/1.4, to sound redundant.

After checking this lens, I am unsure if Sony did not include VR because of cost cutting or they did not think much of the NEX system. Given the IF arrangement and all the baffles before multiple elements, it seems like a complicated construction.

I actually think (I seldom say this!)that this macro is worth more than the current price I paid for!

If I don't get a picture that is satisfactory with this set-up, I know who is at fault!

V

Vivek

I am sorry that does not appear to be a "real" photograph to you, Michiel. It is not trivial to have proper lighting at this magnification (~1/5X here). A HVL-20 was used with some modifiers and that is the light seen here.

Also, that shows my expression after checking out this lens. ;)

V

Vivek

Here are two test samples at life size (1:1 or 1X magnification). The aperture was at f/22. Camera ISO400.

The samples were chosen deliberately. If better techniques are used (ie., better lighting and/or stacking at wider apertures), this set-up (ie., NEX-7 and 30/3.5 Macro) would really shine.

Michiel Schierbeek

Very convincing Terry and Vivek. (An old Dutch cent! Nostalgia!)

Now do I need this lens while I have so many macro lenses, tubes an bellows already?
I wonder is it also good for other purposes?

Michiel

V

Vivek

Michiel, I had an old VOC coin that I gave it away as a gift several years ago to a retiring colleague, otherwise, the spices would have been put on that. :)

BTW, I bought mine from Foka. Their price is the lowest I could find.

On your other question- I will have to take it outside to shoot soon. But, at portrait sort of distances, if you can live with a slow lens, it is very sharp.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Now do I need this lens while I have so many macro lenses, tubes an bellows already?

Michiel
That word "need" leads to much trouble :mad:

You may need it because it is "nice to have"

Keith

alphaman

Michiel
I have one, bought not as a macro lens, but as a cheap standard lens. It is very useful to have a macro ability with this lens, but as you can see from the examples above, it's not absolutely ideal as a macro due the the very limited depth of field the lens to subject distance allows.

I would still prefer to get the Zeiss 24mm or some "G" or Zeiss quality alternative as I think that the NEX 7 (I plan to get soon) will be better served by a really top quality lens. Don't get me wrong, the 30/3.5 is a perfectly good lens, but not quite as good or as fast as I'd like.

If availability or budget was a determining factor, the 30/3.5 would be perfectly satisfactory.

In my opinion, the 30/3.5 and the 16/2.8 are good as budget lenses go, but there still needs to be a "top drawer" selection on offer. I would love to see a 28mm f2 pancake for example (in black please Sony).:)

dierk

I got into the NEX, as I wanted to use my Leica lenses on this tiny body and I got my Macro before I got the NEX-7.
The reason was: it is light (138 grams!), it is cheap and it has AF and supports all NEX functions.

Here is one from the NEX-7 with the CV 12mm Heliar
made with the 30/3.5 Macro on the NEX-5 with studio flash in a light tent (click on the image for higher resolution)

here are more real life pictures (click for higher resolution)

find more in my flickr

dierk

here is another one with NEX-7 and the 30/3.5 Macro
studio flash in light tent
(click for higher res.)

and a 1:1 crop (EXIF included)

Quentin_Bargate

Another plug for the 30mm Macro :ROTFL:

Might get a frosty reception.

'elf and safety would not be pleased.

thanks for egging me on, Dierk...

ustein

Contributing Editor

Would say for close-ups (not real macro) it is a bit on the soft side (relative to a Leica 50mm Summicron :)).

V

Vivek

Would say for close-ups (not real macro) it is a bit on the soft side (relative to a Leica 50mm Summicron :)).

I have about a hundred lenses that are probably better than the 30mm macro or that Summicron. :deadhorse: