The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LA-EA2 anybody?

Paratom

Since AF (the size of the AF area as soon as it gets darker and also the speed) of the NEX is not that great I wondered if anybody here is using the LA_EA2 adapter and how you like it?
This adapter together with a 50/1.4 Sony lens could be a nice combo on the Nex for portrait stuff.
But then it seems very expensive.

peterv

Hi Thomas,

a lot has already been written in several threads in other fora. Here are a few search results:

Dyxum forums - Search Results - LA-EA2

Search: Digital Photography Review

I have the adapter and it works just fine on the 5n and the 7. The PDAF is quite fast, but not that much faster than CDAF on the native E-mount lenses.
The outer focus-points don't go as wide as with CDAF and I don't notice much difference in low light either.
However, the adapter is very handy for photographers who already own A-mount glass. It provides a lot more possibilities in lens choice.
As for the 50 mm you mention, it supposed to be a fine lens, but the screw drive is quite audible and there are rumours about a new 50 mm coming this year, perhaps even a CZ SSM.
I have the Sigma 1,4 50 mm and I like this lens a lot. It's not expensive and wide open it draws in a warm and dreamy way.

If only there was a Leica S - NEX adapter... Of course size and weight would diminish the purpose of the small NEX camera's, but I bet IQ would be fantastic. I would seriously consider buying one or two S lenses for my NEX cameras while saving for an S camera.
BTW, I read on the S2 thread you had your camera taken to Solms, not a big problem I hope? OLED update perhaps?

Kind regards,
Peter

Paratom

Hi Thomas,

a lot has already been written in several threads in other fora. Here are a few search results:

Dyxum forums - Search Results - LA-EA2

Search: Digital Photography Review

I have the adapter and it works just fine on the 5n and the 7. The PDAF is quite fast, but not that much faster than CDAF on the native E-mount lenses.
The outer focus-points don't go as wide as with CDAF and I don't notice much difference in low light either.
However, the adapter is very handy for photographers who already own A-mount glass. It provides a lot more possibilities in lens choice.
As for the 50 mm you mention, it supposed to be a fine lens, but the screw drive is quite audible and there are rumours about a new 50 mm coming this year, perhaps even a CZ SSM.
I have the Sigma 1,4 50 mm and I like this lens a lot. It's not expensive and wide open it draws in a warm and dreamy way.

If only there was a Leica S - NEX adapter... Of course size and weight would diminish the purpose of the small NEX camera's, but I bet IQ would be fantastic. I would seriously consider buying one or two S lenses for my NEX cameras while saving for an S camera.
BTW, I read on the S2 thread you had your camera taken to Solms, not a big problem I hope? OLED update perhaps?

Kind regards,
Peter
Hi Peter,
thanks for the information about the adapter!
Yes, OLED update and one "cosmetic" repair.
Kind Regards, Tom

M

mb2k

Hello there,

I'm using the LA-EA2 now for a couple of weeks with the Sony 16-50/2.8 and the 35/1.8 lenses.

All I can say is, that this is a really capable combination. AF Speed is much faster than E-Mount Lenses when in dim light. And which is even more important to me, the AF is mostly spot on - even if I get an AF lock with E-Mount Lenses most of the time in dim lights the AF is not where its supposed to be.

Handling wise I learned to like the LA-EA2 / 35mm Combination the 16-50 Lens is a bit heavy but still very usable.

Looking forward to use this combo during my next Vacation trip to England - posting some pictures then ...

Cheers
mb2k

mazor

hey just wondering about the LA-e2, some people in other forums mentioned that A mount lens somehow become f3.5 or something when attached to the NEx through LA-e2. Think it is something to do with some light loss using the translucent mirror?

Please advice when using a 1.8 or 1.4 lens, will the actual light getting to the nex sensor be 3.5?

maz

alphaman

No, you only loose about 1/3 of a stop but I haven't found that to be an issue. I've used mine with a Sony 50/1.4 and also with the CZ 135/1.8 and found the combination to work well. I've used it wide open in each case as I was doing available light work and was perfectly happy with the results.

C

curious80

@ mb2k and alphaman - I am curious why you chose the LA-EA2 over getting a compact DSLT (A35 / A55) for your alpha mount lenses. The price for LA-EA2 is fairly close to these bodies and as an additional bonus those bodies come with an EVF. Looks like the size of the final package will not be much different. Obviously the advantage of the adapter is that you can use both types of the lenses on the same body. However given the cost and size of the adapter, wouldn't it be better to place your alpha lens on an A35, e-mount lens on NEX and have more flexibility without much extra bulk in your bag and with no need to take your adapter on and off everytime you need to switch?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I also use the LEA-2, and find it to work great with the Sony G 70-400, turning the NEX-7 into an effective sports camera body.

curious80 - as to your question above - the NEX-7 has a far better sensor than that in the A33 / A55. I would much rather use the NEX-7 with adapter, and have the fantastic sensor and ergonomic controls, rather than the A35 or A55 bodies.

alphaman

The LA-EA2 offers me more options for my NEX7, which is particularly necessary as Sony is somewhat tardy with the production of E mount lenses and there are no fast standard or tele lenses available for me at the moment. It also allows for a longer macro lens than the E30mm.

I already have an A900 and an A700, so don't feel the need to add to those, but I do like the NEX7 and just wish that I could have a wider choice of good quality fast lenses.

The LA-EA2, whilst bulky, does not take up too much room in my camera bag, works very well and is quite comfortable to use (the bulge fits nicely into my hand).

A35 vs LA-EA2? As Mike Hatam says: "the NEX-7 has a far better sensor than that in the A33 / A55. I would much rather use the NEX-7 with adapter, and have the fantastic sensor and ergonomic controls, rather than the A35 or A55 bodies" - I agree.

Having said all that, it's just a case of "horses for courses" as we say here!