The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

holding a sony nex5n

V

voigtf64

OK I am prepared to look totally stupid here but holding the sony nex5n in my right hand, the ball of my hand (that bit below the thumb) is forever changing the set up on the camera , has any one else found this or does one change the habits of a lifetime and hold the camera by the lens and point a wary right hand finger at the shutter from above so as to avoid this chaos? advice urgently needed, thank you

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OK I am prepared to look totally stupid here but holding the sony nex5n in my right hand, the ball of my hand (that bit below the thumb) is forever changing the set up on the camera , has any one else found this or does one change the habits of a lifetime and hold the camera by the lens and point a wary right hand finger at the shutter from above so as to avoid this chaos? advice urgently needed, thank you
Sorry for asking but are you left handed?

Hold camera from underneath with left hand leaving rt hand free for shutter and stabilization. Lt hand palm up camera resting with thumb and index finger for lens adjustment focus .... rt hand works back of camera buttons and release. In vertical position same with rt hand overriding the camera to stabilize and release shutter.

No?

Bob

V

Vivek

I don't own that model. I think it has a touch screen isn't it?

1. You can turn that off if possible.

2. Buy an EVF and use it.

3. Watch Sony's commercials to see how they recommend it be with done their zoom. One handed shooting.

V

voigtf64

thank you all for those replies , it is puzzling me why is a there a hand grip in front of and just below the shutter button. The rotational button on the back is so touch sensitive and light to depress that to hold the camera in this way makes unwanted change of function a certainty. I am also setting movies off on a regular basis with that button being right on the top corner, I guess the habits of a lifetime with a 35mm camera held in the right hand and the thumb poised on the manual film advance leaver, have something to do with my current circumstances. Thinking of making a simple cover for that area of the camera to use once all settings are in place.

philber

Funny how people differ. I find my 5N so good to handle. Shooting form the waist, looking down into the upturned screen 90% of the time. Left hand under the lens, right hand to shoot. And this lets me get shots that are still sharp at low shutter speeds, roughly 1/3 or "recommended", even though my hands are not she stablest