The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to process NEX-7 raw files? (Feb 2012)

4season

Just took delivery of my NEX-7 today! But how to process raw files while waiting for Apple to get their act together? Tried Capture One Express but it doesn't seem to offer chromatic aberration control, so that's not going to work.

jonoslack

Hi There
If, like me, you really can't get on with Lightroom, or you already have too much time and effort invested in Aperture, then you can either
1. download the latest version of the ACR RAW converter.
Or else,
2. just use Lightroom to import to DNG file, and then re-import into Aperture.

That's what I do as I found the last version of ACR to be rather unstable - If you don't have Lightroom you can get a 30 day trial. I would think that there should be an Aperture update in the near future (they seem to do one about every 3 months).

It's the clone tools in Lightroom that always let it down for me - unfortunately this isn't fixed in version 4 either.

Godfrey

Clone tools? What are you cloning?

They're not general purpose cloning tools. They're designed for spotting and they do it well. Anything beyond that is better done in PS. This is one of the only reasons I still have PS.

I just cannot get on with Aperture. I've tried many times but it just does not work for me. An incomplete DNG implementation, sometimes it will import and sometimes not, and a confused organization of processing tools just gets in my way. I use it only for the books and slideshows .. And even there it gets frustrating.

hot

I do not use RAW - for ME: RAW = lifetime wasting.
It makes no sense to make 1/200 sec photo and then spend 15 minutes for postprocessing.
Photography is fun, not time wasting. It's better to go out than sitting at PC.

Using (free) IrvanView for JPGs ... that's enough.

4season

Hi There
If, like me, you really can't get on with Lightroom, or you already have too much time and effort invested in Aperture, then you can either
1. download the latest version of the ACR RAW converter.
Or else,
2. just use Lightroom to import to DNG file, and then re-import into Aperture.
I found links to Camera Raw 6.6, though this brings up a blank page on Adobe's site. I did get Lightroom installed okay though. So far I don't know that I like it better or worse than Aperture, it's just different--have to hold down Option key when working with black level and highlight recovery sliders, rather than Command, for instance. Am I seeing any compelling reason to migrate my photo library from Aperture to Lightroom? Too soon to say.

jonoslack

Clone tools? What are you cloning?
Usually telephone and power lines out of landscapes - the Dutch bury theirs, we drape ours over the best landscapes.

They're not general purpose cloning tools. They're designed for spotting and they do it well. Anything beyond that is better done in PS. This is one of the only reasons I still have PS..
But it works really well in Aperture - better than photoshop in some respects . . . and even the LR team at Adobe recognise it as something missing. Of course I also have PS . . . which I use if I need to do keystoning corrections - but that's very rare, whereas the Aperture cloning get's used lots.

I just cannot get on with Aperture. I've tried many times but it just does not work for me. An incomplete DNG implementation, sometimes it will import and sometimes not, and a confused organization of processing tools just gets in my way. I use it only for the books and slideshows .. And even there it gets frustrating.
I've not had a DNG problem with Aperture for at least a year - certainly no problems with imports. . . . . and I find the organisation of the tools and the way multiple instances of the tools work to be really splendid and intuitive . . I'd describe lightroom just as you describe Aperture! interestingly, the things I don't use Aperture for are books (indesign) and slideshows (I don't do them)

I think at this point one simply has to put it down to one's personal preferences/tastes.

jonoslack

It makes no sense to make 1/200 sec photo and then spend 15 minutes for postprocessing.

No need to use RAW if you don't want to - but it's not lifetime wasting if you're using Lightroom or Aperture - no converting, and certainly no 15 minutes for post processing - in fact, as far as I can see it doesn't make any difference to time either way.

Terry

I'm with Jono here - RAW or jpeg is personal choice but as to processing, there is no difference in Lightroom between using RAW or jpeg.

V

Vivek

The ideal camera for you would be the new Olympus EM-5. You can adjust the curves and everything using live view, snap a picture and send it off to where ever you want, immediately, using the "penpal". :D