The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions - M Mount Lens, adapters and 35 and 50mm equiv kit options?

Shane Phillips

Hello - it's been half a decade since I posted here, wow. Am posting this on another site as well. Looking for some opinions.

A bit on me…While waiting for my Fuji X Pro 1 to ship, I recently picked up a Sony Nex - 5N after attending a Steve Huff workshop. I had no idea what Sony was up to, and was truly impressed. Mostly because of the idea and the ability of focus peaking and having quality manual controls on the front of the camera with such lenses as the inexpensive Voigtlander color skopar f 2.5 35mm. It's not the brightest lens but, I ordered it because of the pancake size keeps the Nex small and the unique focus nub…and it's particular look both for color and B/W as well as figured with the 5N, 3200 iso should be able to cope with the f 2.5.

For the past 5 years I have shot 21 and 28mm on the Ricoh GRD lines…I prob knew this going in that the 52 equiv of the CV 35mm 2.5 might be a bit close.…Unfort with the crop of the 52.5mm turns out is a bit close/tight for my everyday lens…Turn out true 35 is more my style.* Am ultimately looking for ONE 35mm equiv walk around lens…but somehow I love the skopar just for the size and feel alone.

So I also picked up the new Zeiss 24mm 1.8 to experiment with the 35mm equiv focal length. For me it's the ticket in terms of framing mm, but it of of course does not have that manual control feel…not sure I can get over that - considering the hyper real, magic pop razor clarity it creates…a stunner for sure, not that I have compared it extensively to others as I'm just diving in this realm.* Where the Voigtlander looks more like film to me and is tricky to consistently nail a sharply focused shot, its fun to try especially with the OLED viewfinder.*

An option of course would be keeping the CV color skopar 35mm f 2.5 as my "long range lens" and the zeiss as my walkabout, but cannot get over the feeling that it the zeiss does not have "that feel" that engagement with dialing it in and taking the image…it so point and shoot even with DMF or in MANUAL, regardless of the images which are drop dead modernly gorgeous.

Any opinions?

So, at the end of the day, am wondering if I can get over missing that manual feel for the quality? Prob not.

I did not plan this, but maybe just gonna keep the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 for my wife to use on my rig. This leaves a nice little kit 35 & 50mm equivs…but the question is, considering I'm not comfy with Leica lens prices - for my $$$$ did I put together the best 35 and 50mm equivs I could have???

Maybe the Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron or another one over the Zeiss manual lenses instead?* I was considering maybe getting the 28mm to get the framing I want and preserving the manual feel and sending back the zeiss…but its tough after seeing the image quality possible with the Zeiss 24mm 1.8.

For under $1000 is there another option other than the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 in the 35mm equiv to consider that is good in low light? Is their something thats been mentioned on this site that can top this one?

I like the minimum focus distance of the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 and would like to get that on what ever manual lens I end up with. Thinking of returning my Voigtlander M mount adapter and getting a hold of one of those Hawk Factory helicoid's to make the skopar have this ability. Anyone try it with the CV color skopar 2.5 and also is infinity focus guaranteed? Is the quality okay with the Hawk?

I have a few days left to try the 2 lens out I mentioned above, before returning them and it seems like you might be able to help me out with your insights and experiences. Maybe some of you are going through a similar situation? * I would greatly appreciate any feedback when you get a chance. Or new alternatives to consider.

Thank you very much!

Hosermage

My hawk's helicoid nails infinity perfectly, and in my opinion, it's a must have for M-mount lenses.

I've only upgraded to 5N myself with the EVF recently, and I must say the 50mm-equivalent is what I prefer. Mounting a 35mm lens, using the EVF with my right eye while keeping my left eye open, I can see the image from the EVF perfectly match what I see from my left eye, both in size and feel. It's almost like I'm wearing some VR goggle, so that DOF is perfect for me.

I'm still on the fence with the 24mm Zeiss, but since you already got it, I would say just keep it. There are rumors that Sony is going to raise the price of that lens by $100 in April. Maybe keep it for AF in video mode? I've bought the SEL18200 for that purpose.

my $0.02

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have a NEX 5N on the way, and a Hawk's adapter too—and I got this setup to use the CV 35/1.7 ASPH with in the exact same way as Hosermage is doing.

I will post back here as soon as the body and the adapter arrive. The 50mm EFOV is my personal favourite, and I got the NEX for just this focal length (it remains to be seen if it's a perfect walk-around form factor for me; not sure how much the EVF will stick out).