The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7 problem with CZ85

V

Vivek

That is a long shot uhoh. I do not post full size pictures anywhere. You have to look for any images that I might have posted or post.

sflxn

Nex-7 a bridge too far....

I had one ordered twice! TY god they were delayed. First time i just got a 5n. Second delay i just got cold feet :)

This issue is about to explode.

Samples which clearly show the issue would sure be nice.....
You seem to be stirring the pot on this, here and dpreview. Having used Canon and Nikon DSLR lenses in the past, my expectations for corner sharpness are not as high. I don't see this issue with Alpha lenses on the NEX being that big of a deal, which it appears everyone who are experiencing this are using. Luckily, I mainly use E lenses on my NEX-7 so this whole thing is a non-issue for me. Most buyers of the NEX-7 probably do not own Sony Alpha DSLRs so they probably will never experience this issue. Again, this appears to be a non-issue for most people. You can always wait for the NEX-7 with microlenses on the sensor.

douglasf13

You seem to be stirring the pot on this, here and dpreview. Having used Canon and Nikon DSLR lenses in the past, my expectations for corner sharpness are not as high. I don't see this issue with Alpha lenses on the NEX being that big of a deal, which it appears everyone who are experiencing this are using. Luckily, I mainly use E lenses on my NEX-7 so this whole thing is a non-issue for me. Most buyers of the NEX-7 probably do not own Sony Alpha DSLRs so they probably will never experience this issue. Again, this appears to be a non-issue for most people. You can always wait for the NEX-7 with microlenses on the sensor.
I don't think Charlie is stirring the pot. We're all just trying to determine what and how bad the issue is. Initially the NEX-7 issues seemed to be with rangefinder lenses, but now Photozone is having issues with both Alpha and E-mount lenses on the NEX-7, so it applies to you as well.

Again, I have no problem with anyone being satisfied with their NEX-7 performance, but I think it's valid to investigate the difference between "excellent" and "good enough" in regards to the NEX-7's corner performance.

V

Vivek

I looked at the links you posted, Douglas.

Amusing. :)

Waardij: My suggestion to you is to stay out of that place. It was amazing to see how you were convinced that the 85/1.4 behaves poorly on the NEX-7. Your experience of the 8-16 Sigma zoom on the NEX-7 was just ignored.
Those threads read like some voodoo stuff.:eek:

douglasf13

I looked at the links you posted, Douglas.

Amusing. :)

Waardij: My suggestion to you is to stay out of that place. It was amazing to see how you were convinced that the 85/1.4 behaves poorly on the NEX-7. Your experience of the 8-16 Sigma zoom on the NEX-7 was just ignored.
Those threads read like some voodoo stuff.:eek:
Not sure what you mean by amusing? Klaus does the testing for Photozone with Imatest, and his results so far are certainly interesting.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Changed my mind on cancelling my Nex 7 order, and left the 5n order in place. It will arrive tomorrow. I had a C3 for a while and liked the IQ a lot.
Have to figure this out myself.

Keith

uhoh7

No issues with Contax G 45,Leica R 60, Leica R 35-70 f:3.5, Contax G 90.
when you have the chance please take hard look at edges wide open.

even by f/4 issue may be moot.

people who already have 7 say: ohh stiring pot.
I say why you care? Keep or sell based on performance. show wide open shots full size when possible with edge details.

people who have not yet taken delivery: eyes wide open.

that's only fair.

If this turns out to be nothing I will apologise for noticing the concern.

V

Vivek

Not sure what you mean by amusing? Klaus does the testing for Photozone with Imatest, and his results so far are certainly interesting.

Amusing because someone went and bought a camera, "tested" it, returned it, bought a second sample and is trying to sell it for 1000 euros.

In the EU there is a 2 year warranty. He should have reclaimed his money under warranty if it was faulty. He should have returned all his lenses too for a refund.

It was amazing that he would just ignore others saying what their experience was with their NEX-7 and lenses and instead plant poison on susceptible minds.

Voodoo.

PS: OTOH, if such rumors and insinuations bring down the prices of the 7, I will not be sad as I plan to pick up at least one more body. ;)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I use a few f/1.2 lenses and one f/0.95 on the 7. Soon, I hope to be shooting with a bunch of f/1 and faster lenses.:LOL:

FlypenFly

Seems like the 7 beats the 5N on per pixel sharpness. The crops at F4 are especially telling, the 7 is just so much more detailed.

#89. Battle of the tiny Titans: Sony NEX-5N vs Sony NEX-7 | Dear Susan,

Finally, and more to the point, the NEX-7′s image quality is indeed much higher than the NEX-5N. Be sure to click the individual frames to view the difference in detail between the two cameras. Here’s the deal: not only does the NEX-7 have 50% more pixels than the NEX-5N, but per-pixel sharpness also seems slightly higher, as if the AA filter was slightly less strong on the 7. I’d love to see large prints compared to the Leica M-9 and Nikon D3x.

douglasf13

Amusing because someone went and bought a camera, "tested" it, returned it, bought a second sample and is trying to sell it for 1000 euros.

In the EU there is a 2 year warranty. He should have reclaimed his money under warranty if it was faulty. He should have returned all his lenses too for a refund.

It was amazing that he would just ignore others saying what their experience was with their NEX-7 and lenses and instead plant poison on susceptible minds.

Voodoo.

PS: OTOH, if such rumors and insinuations bring down the prices of the 7, I will not be sad as I plan to pick up at least one more body. ;)
I still don't understand your point. We're talking about one of the more notable lens testing sites in Photozone, and they use Imatest. It isn't as if it's a random forum poster eyeballing shots and saying, "nope, not sharp." Klaus got a second Nex-7 to test in order to make sure it wasn't sample variation or a defect, and he also used a couple of different Sony brands adapters.

douglasf13

Bugleone

Then perhaps it might have shown more integrity to have stayed silent until he had the test images.......

V

Vivek

I still don't understand your point. We're talking about one of the more notable lens testing sites in Photozone, and they use Imatest. It isn't as if it's a random forum poster eyeballing shots and saying, "nope, not sharp." Klaus got a second Nex-7 to test in order to make sure it wasn't sample variation or a defect, and he also used a couple of different Sony brands adapters.
Voodoo at work.;)

There is no better way to explain it since several posters here are showing images with no such problems.

The tester has not shown any images and you or uhoh don't own the said camera.

douglasf13

Waardij showed his own test in this very thread, Vivek. I have seen very few direct 5N vs. 7 edge comparisons on the Get Dpi forums.

I think the distinction to make here is "good" edges vs. "better" edges.

V

Vivek

I read what happened to waardij's original posts in the links you provided. Flypen and waardij said that there are no problems. Waardij was made to doubt. Him saying that there wasn't a problem with the Sigma 8-16 was totally ignored.

Voodoo, man. And it is cooking up "sensor effects". LOL.

Bugleone

Waardij has not even labled his frames and both were apparently made at f1.4 to 100x,...this shows nothing that is meaningfull. Over the last 30+ years I have seen all kinds of lens phenomena at max apertures that's why it's normal for critical work to stop down to the optimum of the lens. It is commonly seen that digtal sensors behave differently (sometimes even with equal pixel density) and looking at 100x corners shot at f1.4 and casually posted on forums is hardly enough 'evidence' to damn a camera like this....

.....I'm not a NEX 7 user nor do I expect to be for some time, it at all, but this is hardly 'fair'.