The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now this could get interesting - rumors

Godfrey

and Ricoh's going to release their A16 24-85/3.5-5.6 (? i think) APS-C camera unit for the GXR very soon.

I honestly don't know what the fascination for this type of short, bulky, slow zoom is. Seems the worst of all worlds to me.

Terry

and Ricoh's going to release their A16 24-85/3.5-5.6 (? i think) APS-C camera unit for the GXR very soon.

I honestly don't know what the fascination for this type of short, bulky, slow zoom is. Seems the worst of all worlds to me.
Well if it is a really slow zoom with a bad range then the fascination level goes down. But since there are no specs it can still be fascinating.

The A16 module has no interest to me.

jonoslack

Hi Terry
Thanks for the heads up - sounds interesting to me as well. Let's see if they've really managed to make it small.. . . don't mind slow zooms as long as they're good zooms!

all the best

Godfrey

Godfrey said:
... I honestly don't know what the fascination for this type of short, bulky, slow zoom is. Seems the worst of all worlds to me.
Well if it is a really slow zoom with a bad range then the fascination level goes down. But since there are no specs it can still be fascinating.

The A16 module has no interest to me.
none for me either.
but that wasn't the focus of my comment.

never mind.

jonoslack

none for me either.
but that wasn't the focus of my comment.

never mind.
We never do :)
You are mercifully free of the quest for the perfect carry-about camera with a useable zoom The nearest I ever got to it was the E3 with the 12-60 - but it wasn't really small enough. It's a kind of holy grail of lazy photographers, but the trouble is, if you're really lazy (like me) it's better if you aren't too critical. For a brief moment the Fuji X10 looked like it, but in the final analysis it's too big and it has orbs.

This camera sounds like another contender (the OMD with the panasonic 14-42x is another)

I hope you sympathise with those of us on the hopeless quest (I know I'm not alone)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I'm with you on this one Jono; I have pre-ordered that big zoom (the GXR one) just to try it out, really, and it does have the perfect combination of focal lengths for me (24, 50, 85). It will probably turn up on the B/S forum, but at least I will know for myself that it's not what I have been looking for.

Actually, two more things: the E-3 and the 12-60 wasn't small at all, but what a combination results-wise! And I had an X10 and it was a little bit too small for me.

signed, the hopeless quest

roweraay

I would buy this in the blink of an eye, if this rumor is true. And then get out of the quest to get my NEX7 Kit (I returned back my NEX7 body back to the retailer, than try to re-sell it at a profit).

The assumption being that this camera will come with all of the video goodies (24P, 60P et al), a zoom lens with a decent range and pancakey proportions (hopefully an R1-like 24mm-120mm equivalent), RAW, APS-C sensor, the A65/77/NEX7 type viewfinder and a fully swiveling screen (like the Canon G1X or the A77), a hotshoe that can take Alpha flashes etc.

For everything else, I already have the A900 and a ton of lenses.

roweraay

No interest whatsoever in the Ricoh "modules". Why bother with all of those knick-knacks ?

"Bulky" compared to what ? Compared to other cameras with APS-C sensors and a similar range (hopefully 24mm - 85mm equivalent at least) ? Don't think so.

Godfrey

It's good to know that I've escaped at least one hopeless quest. :)

Yeah, I tried an X10 too. Sent it back three days later: too fiddly for me, didn't perform well enough. The GXR feels like a professional camera by comparison.

Last edited:

jonoslack

It's good to know that I've escaped at least one hopeless quest. :)
Yes indeed Godfrey - a terrible quest, and one you should be most happy to be out of. For me it's meant buying . . .

D-lux4
GF1
EP2
Xz1
EP3
NEX5n
NEX7
all have come and gone

.... and more that I've removed from my memory . . . whilst the M9 and the A900 have remained as trusty servants - admittedly the A77 has slipped in as well, but that's fitted comfortably into the way I work.

The GXR 24-85 module is not it either (too bulky)

Yeah, I tried an X10 too. Sent it back three days later: too fiddly for me, didn't perform well enough. The GXR felt like a professional camera by comparison.
The only Fuji I tried was the X100 . . . that didn't satisfy either.

Godfrey

well, i've gone through my share of various cameras too. the X10 was my last fling into small sensor stuff. the only small sensor camera I'm going to bother with anymore is the iPhone because otherwise, well, it's just a waste of money—i won't be satisfied and wish I had a real camera with me.

So the GXR and M9 are my kit, with occasional snaps from the E-1.

I've gotten into some film irrelevances too ... the M4-2 which is just plain wonderful, the Nikon F that's on its way here, a Nikon N80 that my uncle gave me, a Polaroid SX-70 and some "IMPOSSIBLE" film for (expensive) fun. And maybe some more Minox submini work now and then.

In a pinch, I'd sell everything but the M9 and three or four lenses for it. That does enough. Not everything, just enough.

neilvan

Interesting indeed. I would love to see my R1 updated (I still haven't been able to get myself to sell that camera).

retow

Yes indeed Godfrey - a terrible quest, and one you should be most happy to be out of. For me it's meant buying . . .

D-lux4
GF1
EP2
Xz1
EP3
NEX5n
NEX7
all have come and gone

.... and more that I've removed from my memory . . . whilst the M9 and the A900 have remained as trusty servants - admittedly the A77 has slipped in as well, but that's fitted comfortably into the way I work.

The GXR 24-85 module is not it either (too bulky)

The only Fuji I tried was the X100 . . . that didn't satisfy either.
Lol, looks as long as my list. Am surprised that the Nex7 is already gone.

V

Vivek

I have no interest in this rumored camera. I am not good at this buy and sell front.

I have nothing to prove to myself that a Leica M9 is better than a whole bunch of other cameras. I would rather be using what I have.:D