The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now this could get interesting - rumors

Godfrey

I have nothing to prove to myself that a Leica M9 is better than a whole bunch of other cameras. I would rather be using what I have. ..
I have no need to prove to myself that a Leica M9 is better than anything else either. I just like using it, more than my other cameras. And since I made the expenditure to buy one for that reason, I would rather be using what I have—same as you.

jonoslack

Lol, looks as long as my list. Am surprised that the Nex7 is already gone.
Me too, what's the story?
Well, no criticism really, it was fine . . . but there are fundamentally three situations when I take photographs.

1. with intent - when I'll use primes and concentrate
2. opportunistically - when I'll use zooms, AF and see what comes up.
3. when I'm not intending to do much photography (but I always carry a camera)

In the first situation the M9 is better (for me) than the NEX7 - I simply prefer the leica lenses on the M9.

In the second situation I'd rather use an SLR with the Sony Zeiss lenses and faster AF - even if the image quality on the NEX7 may be slightly better.

I still haven't found the right thing for the third situation, but the NEX7 isn't it. Currently I'm using an X1 (I like the interface and the results are good and it does go in a pocket, even if it does have some deficiencies).

The point really was that, depending on the circumstances, I realised that when carrying the NEX I always wished that I was using either the M9 or the A77 . . . Obviously Time to cut my losses and get out!

all the best

I still haven't found the right thing for the third situation, but the NEX7 isn't it. Currently I'm using an X1 (I like the interface and the results are good and it does go in a pocket, even if it does have some deficiencies).
Yes, this is a category that I fear the manufacturers have all but given up on. I agree that the X1 is probably the best pocketable camera out there in terms of overall IQ vs. the foibles of using it. The X100 and micro 4/3 cameras are too big, the Sigma cameras too slow.

In a likely futile effort to preserve my finances, I've decided to live with the NEX 7 for my all-purpose (in the car camera) and stick with my film compacts (Contax T3 and Ricoh GR) for when I really need pocketable portability. The 5D still gets the call for concert and some editorial, although I see the NEX as a useful editorial camera as well (not so much for low light stages).

Maybe someday we will see an APS-C or FF in a chassis the size of a T3 or GR. Heck, I'd even take a m4/3 sensor with a nice 35mm equivalent if they could make it that small - a modern Olympus XA anyone?

jonoslack

Jono, you are a scream
David - you should understand that I only exist in your imagination to keep you amused - the internet is a figment of your imagination!
I don't know if you were a windows user back in 1995 but if you were, it wouldn't surprise me if you'd camped out outside the shop the night before win95 was released.

GearSlut! :LOL:
I don't think I ever camped outside anything . . . but I enjoy trying out different cameras, and swift reactions make it expensive rather than catastrophic.

But there is a truth that small, swift and zoom with good IQ is always an issue . . . and to get back to the original poster . . . maybe sony are going to come up with the goods . . . . or maybe the goods is an OMD with the new pana 14-45x?

Worth mentioning (or not) that the mainstay of my system has ben the M8/M9 and Sony DSLR since . . oh - pre-history :)

Whatever . . I would like to tell you that if I were a REAL gearslut I would have bought a Fuji X10 and ordered an X1 pro :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Yes, this is a category that I fear the manufacturers have all but given up on. I agree that the X1 is probably the best pocketable camera out there in terms of overall IQ vs. the foibles of using it. The X100 and micro 4/3 cameras are too big, the Sigma cameras too slow.
Interesting isn't it - I didn't like it at first, but the use of it (the X1) is so clear and logical, and it really is small. I just like zooms (oh dear)!

Anyway, a small aps/c Sony with a decent fixed small zoom would definitely be interesting.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Maybe someday we will see an APS-C or FF in a chassis the size of a T3 or GR. Heck, I'd even take a m4/3 sensor with a nice 35mm equivalent if they could make it that small - a modern Olympus XA anyone?
Exactly! The XA was the ultimate pocket camera. It was really pocketable, full manual control and was built in a way that kept you from worrying about damaging this or that. Everything well protected, as opposed to my Rollei 35 which was a beauty but with more quirks than an old Citroën (anybody got a lens cap? An upside down flash?).

I'm considering seriously to buy one and use as my carry-everywhere-camera. Firs, I thought that, "Hey, you can't use a film camera for that". But after a while, I realised that there aren't more than 36 good motives in an average office week anyway, so what's the problem?

And then, since the people at Olympus has finally understood that a digital OM was a necessity, it's time to convince them about that digital XA. Yes, I'll take an XA-D any day :)

Godfrey

Interesting isn't it - I didn't like it at first, but the use of it (the X1) is so clear and logical, and it really is small. I just like zooms (oh dear)!

Anyway, a small aps/c Sony with a decent fixed small zoom would definitely be interesting.
i'd still like an X1. love the looks and feel of it. fit an optical viewfinder and it's very neat and tidy.

having had three XAs ... all broke unrepairably ... i'd rather have a Rollei 35S-D or Minox 35GT-ED. my 1973 Rollei 35S is still working perfectly as is my 1991 Minox 35GT-E. both have better lenses than the XA.

too many options. ;-)

jonoslack

i'd still like an X1. love the looks and feel of it. fit an optical viewfinder and it's very neat and tidy.

having had three XAs ... all broke unrepairably ... i'd rather have a Rollei 35S-D or Minox 35GT-ED. my 1973 Rollei 35S is still working perfectly as is my 1991 Minox 35GT-E. both have better lenses than the XA.

too many options. ;-)
yes indeed . . . maybe an X1s will solve all your problems?