The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street (images)

V

Vivek

Vivek,
I see that you are quite attached to your Yashinon 40/1.7 lens. Excellent results. Do you have a photo of the mount that you used in the conversion? Best wishes for the holidays.
Paul
Paul, Thanks and all the best to you (and everyone) as well. :)

This isn't the final version but I am impatient (and it works), shown with AA Summicron 75/2 and M Rokkor 40/2 for size.
Infinity to ~35cm focus range.

Yash - GetDPI Image Gallery

Yash - GetDPI Image Gallery

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Vivek,

I was wondering, as I never did "street" before this way. Does it not happen to you regulary that people approach you expressing that they dislike being photographed?

I imagine that some nasty situations could occur very quickly.

Thanks
G

Viramati

Personally I often shoot 'from the hip' so they never even realise or there are certain other techniques such as raising the camera to your eye too one side of the subject then panning across, take shot and move camera further away from the subject then remove camera from your eye, this way they don't know where in arc you took the shot. Don't chimp immediately after taking a shot and don't make eye contact after taking a shot. Some street photographers can be very confrontational and in your face, I isuppose Bruce Gilden is the master in this respect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM&spfreload=10
As he says "it is like a war zone"
Some of my 'street' shots can be seen here
http://dpsampson.zenfolio.com/p246106649

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek,

I was wondering, as I never did "street" before this way. Does it not happen to you regulary that people approach you expressing that they dislike being photographed?

I imagine that some nasty situations could occur very quickly.

Thanks
G
Hi Georg, On two occasions (both the times the subjects were captured before the confrontation).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

This handsome man was egged on by his friend to attack me (the background is the Dutch Parliament. Anyone can walk by it any time! One of the unusual places on this earth, in this day and age!). It took a few youngsters who happened to be around protesting for net freedom to get me off any violent repercussions. He somehow got his satisfaction by unloading a few choice expletives in his arsenal.

Everything depends on the local law. I am allowed to photograph anyone in public space and display it (except in commercial adverts).

However successful Mr. Gilden may be, I do not subscribe to his way of working/scaring the hell out some poor old ladies and such.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing Vivek & David.

I dislike cities for the most part, always felt displaced there and then this "strange smell" of neurotic nervousity all around.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Georg, On two occasions (both the times the subjects were captured before the confrontation).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

This handsome man was egged on by his friend to attack me (the background is the Dutch Parliament. Anyone can walk by it any time! One of the unusual places on this earth, in this day and age!). It took a few youngsters who happened to be around protesting for net freedom to get me off any violent repercussions. He somehow got his satisfaction by unloading a few choice expletives in his arsenal.

Everything depends on the local law. I am allowed to photograph anyone in public space and display it (except in commercial adverts).

However successful Mr. Gilden may be, I do not subscribe to his way of working/scaring the hell out some poor old ladies and such.
It somehow delivered an exceptional shot, Vivek. You can see the confrontation in his face.