The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX FW update

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek, I went to the link, but cannot see what this update actually does.

Three links to what looks like the same instruction manual, and Windows only. I have been travelling, so might be a bit slow this evening...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek, you're a genius: I looked everywhere on that site!!!

Thank you. I will be in Italy (Milano) 12 March; there, then Piacenza, then Torino; all up 2.5 weeks, then back to Australia

Bugleone

Bit worrying that I put in 'NEX 3' to see what came up and got; "we can't find this model"....

........Good old Sony, always first with customer service......unless you just ddropped off the list!

V

Vivek

The rumors are that soon there will be 3 more NEX cameras (no new lenses though. who needs them, eh?)...

mbroomfield

This is what it says about the update.. note EU models only?

Date released: 01/03/2012
Name: Update_NEX5nV101.exe
Applicable models: NEX-5N
Benefits and improvements:
Enhancement of AF response: When subject distance changes enormously.
Improved stability in certain camera operations:
When setting [Lens Compensation: Distortion] "Auto" and [Picture Effect] "Miniature" at the same time.
When setting [Exposure Compensation], [Intelligent AF] operation improves.
Applicable Operating System (OS)
Windows XP* SP3 / Windows Vista** SP2 / Windows 7 SP1
* 64-bit and Starter editions are not supported.
** Starter edition is not supported.
Restrictions: only for use with cameras sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks for that link, Vivek;

Reporting back that the Mac OS version will only run in 32 bit kernel mode and mine runs natively in 64 bit; not sure how to access that on my MacBook Pro. my NEX 5N was purchased from a European member here, so this is the right update for me.

Interesting that a tech-savvie company like Sony has glitches like these (and no note that the update is even available in the Mac OS; see Mike's post immediately above).

mbroomfield

Sorry Kit, it is, they just have the Mac on another page,,
◦Mac OS X v.10.5 ~ 10.7 *
■The 64-bit kernel is not supported.
■* In case of v.10.7, start up in 32bit mode.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
thanks for that tip, Mike; I am a bit impatient, sometimes (my partner designs web sites; automatic FAIL if things can't be found immediately!).

I will look up how to start up in 32 bit mode, too; ah: got it (hold down the numeral 3 and 2 keys while rebooting). Cheers and thanks!