The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Nikon Lenses on NEX-7/5N?

V

Vivek

I have a big lot of F mount lenses but I do not see any point in using them unless they offer a bit more- for example, movements. I am yet to see a T/S adapter that would allow that.

Rich M

I shot the Tokina AT-X 90mm macro (F-mount) on the NEX 7 yesterday. I thought it looked and handled great. I thought the balance was good.

One comment about the NEX 7.........it is an unforgiving camera. If you're slightly "off".....it will show you your errors. Challenging.....but worth it.

R

sflxn

I have an older 28/2.8 manual focus lens that is very small and works well on the NEX-7. I also have the 85/1.4 D that has good balance with two hands; however, it's heavier than the NEX-7 + 24 Zeiss. Unfortunately, I bought an F adapter, but realized the 28 is too close to my 24 and the 85 is too big and heavy to go walking about in the streets. I've ended up just walking around with my 24 Zeiss and 50 OSS. I'm failing to see the point of small mirrorless with big DSLR lenses. However, the focus peaking works like a champ with them -- better than manual focusing on any of my previous FF Nikons.

I may be going on a road trip in the near future. If I do, I will bring the 85 D and test it out.

uhoh7

Any nikon lens from 5cm 50/1.4 Rf to modern AF which can have aperture control with proper adapter are excellent, esp on 5n which is less picky with glass than 7

55 micro is just sick on any nex, and 180 AIS ED is great.

nikkor 5cm 1.4 (1954) In my opinion this is the best portrait lens for the nex, bar none. Apt I suppose, since this is the lens which established the nikon reputation in the first place :)

another early legend and no slouch:

I got another one in contax mount for my iiia

5n likes it :)

Even back then the nikon vs Canon war was very hot

This 63 canon 100/2 is a full on 80s summicron in sharpness, but maybe too sharp for portraits wide open.

Last edited: