The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX 7 AF-MF questions

gurtch

Hi all:
Received the NEX 7 yesterday. I am having trouble figuring out the manual focus vs AF with native NEX lenses. When I use auto focus on a subject, I thought I could use the focus ring to manually tweak the focus. It seems like nothing happens when I do this. I must AF on the subject, then push and hold (not very convenient, I am left eyed).the AF/MF button, then turn the focus ring, which enlarges the subject and I can manually focus. Then when I release the AF/MF button, and attempt to take the picture, the lens auto focuses again when I press the shutter button. Also in the setup menue the focus peaking color is "disabled". When I put a legacy lens on via adapter, the red focus peaking DOES work. Does focus peaking only work with non E mount lenses?Any help, advice?
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ

Rich M

Dave......you want to enable DMF (Direct Manual Focus). (pg 76 of handbook).

MENU ---> [Camera] ---> [AF/MF Select] to the desired mode.

(Autofocus) Focuses automatically.

(DMF) After focusing automatically, make fine focus adjustment manually.

(Manual Focus) Adjusts the focus manually. Turn the focusing ring right or left to make the subject look clearer.

That should take care of it.

R