The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX 7 Left Eyed manual focus problems

gurtch

I find the electronic viewfinder impossible to use in my usual shooting mode: hold camera with right hand (I am right handed, but left eyed), look through finder with left eye and manually focus with left hand. I find that when the sun is to my left, it is so bright, I cannot see the finder with the NEX 7. I have resorted to holding the camera with my LEFT hand cupping the eye piece with my palm, then focusing right handed. Since this is reverse of what I have been doing forever (I am 75), it is awkward. Any right hander/left eyed shooters out there?
Dave

V

Vivek

Me.

I hold it with my right hand. Left hand is on the lens with the palm under the flimsy out line of the camera bottom, left eye on the EVF and nose on the LCD. :D

I tried the right eye. Does not work for me. :(

monza

I am naturally left-eyed also, but am training myself to shoot with the right, since I got lasik on my right eye. It has been a slow process. When I tested a NEX 7, I quickly realized it would be more difficult to shoot left-eyed on that camera.

k-hawinkler

I find the electronic viewfinder impossible to use in my usual shooting mode: hold camera with right hand (I am right handed, but left eyed), look through finder with left eye and manually focus with left hand. I find that when the sun is to my left, it is so bright, I cannot see the finder with the NEX 7. I have resorted to holding the camera with my LEFT hand cupping the eye piece with my palm, then focusing right handed. Since this is reverse of what I have been doing forever (I am 75), it is awkward. Any right hander/left eyed shooters out there?
Dave

I have the same problem with my NEX-5N here in New Mexico with a lot of bright sunshine.
What works for me is pulling down a baseball cap sideways over my left eye.
That gives enough shade so that I can see the viewfinder without problems.

Regards, K-H.

gurtch

Thanks all for the tips. I also currently use an A900, and 645d with absoluly no problems because of their bright finders. I must admit I am a bit dissapointed with the EVF. I am so left eyed that I also shoot a rifle and bow and arrow left handed to accommodate my left eye. I write with my right hand.
Thanks again
Dave

gurtch

Another issue for we left eyers...try to look through the finder with your left eye and attempt to get your fingers on the diopter adjustment wheel!!!! Impossible. I resorted to looking through the finder, then removing my eye from the finder, adjusting the diopter one click, then looking through the finder again. Then repeating the process over and over again.
Best to all
Dave