The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fotodiox or Metabones Adapter for Canon EF on Nex-7

Paul2660

I am looking for adapters to allow the use my Canon EF lenses on the Nex-7. I have looked at the Fotodiox and the Metabones and would appreciate any feedback from other users of either.

From what I have read, Fotodiox makes one adapter with a aperture which they claims allows you to control light from around F1.7 to F22. Has anyone used this style adapter.

Metabones, seems to be a great solution a bit pricey, but for now they are out of stock and currently no lead times on the website. They allow for coupling of the aperture between the Nex-7 and the EF lens and it seems that all exposure modes work. Any user feedback?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

conurus

In a nutshell, the Andrew Reid's report on EOSHD that you cited was outdated before it was written. The ghosting issue he described affected only the initial batch of the product, and had already been addressed at the end of January.

There were initial quality problems with the Metabones Smart Adapter when it first shipped in January. Metabones emailed all those customers and asked them to reject the shipment and had it returned to the sender. One of the problems that the first batch of adapters suffered from was the ghosting issue that EOSHD described.

Andrew Reid @ EOSHD was one of the customers who ordered the first batch but had chosen to take delivery and open the box anyway. He has never afforded the manufacturer the opportunity to repair his adapter, but instead wrote an article about its problem. If you think about it, why did he hold onto an adapter all this time, despite the recall? A plausible explanation was that the adapter was so important to him that he decided to hold onto it despite its defects. Now, 2 months later, just think of how much more useful the adapter has become, with all the early reports of issues already addressed.

I would suggest everyone to read the full comment thread on that EOSHD article, too. The comment thread has further details on the story.

We @conurus as well as Metabones tried to get it right the first time, but we failed. Subsequently we did what we had to do which was to look into and fix any problem we find ourselves or reported by our customers. Our biggest problem has always been convincing our customers to let us fix the problems, and to a lesser extent, outdated problem reports being recited and reposted over and over again.

hot

Fotodiox makes one adapter with a aperture which they claims allows you to control light from around F1.7 to F22.
Don't believe all you read in Internet :p
EOS adapters with built in aperture are all the same, forget the expensive ones!
You can only use open till half open, then begins vignetting. No aperture 10-22! You cannot use Canon EF-S lenses.

adapter eos nex aperture | eBay

Iiiiii never would buy Metabone/Conurus - it's a "DIY solution" - sorry Bo-Ming - :( - for $399 you get a complete Canon 1100D with lens :D

Paul2660

Thanks to all,
I had wondered if vignetting would be a problem on the Fotodiox since you were so far out with the addition of the adapter.

I will wait to see what happens on the next round of Metabones adapters.

Sincerely
Paul