The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony FF square format camera rumor!

jlm

Workshop Member
he had limited knowledge: the CV16 and the P something were both sq dig backs, for V system blad and Rollei 6008. I had both

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Of course, John is correct.

However, a digital back with true liveview (as any digital camera ought to have been from the onset) is truly useful.:)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Never mind that a 36x24 diagonal translates to slightly larger than a 30x30 square. I'd still like one. And a 56x56 MF digital back. And a pony.

--Matt

iiiNelson

Updated rumor has it as a ~37 Megapixel 36 X 36 square sensor compatible with all FF A-mount lenses. Sounds like an interesting option to take on the higher end Canon and Nikon and entry level MF cameras especially if they price it competitively with the D4 and 1Dx range ($4-6,000.)

Shashin

I am not sure Sony is that brave to release a square sensor camera. It really does not have the popularity of a 3:2 camera. Also it will require a larger image circle and so some of Sonys lenses will not fair well on this 36x36mm sensor.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Shasin, wht will this sensor require a bigger image circle? If an A-mount lens adequately covers a FF sensor now, 35mm on the long side, surely it will cover the same on the vertical?

and I personally disagree with square not having the popularity of 3:2; I am sure that if this is implemented, portrait and landscape 3:2 lines will be visible, so zero disadvantage for me (plus I really like square!).

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Shashin, why will this sensor require a bigger image circle? If an A-mount lens adequately covers a FF sensor now, 35mm on the long side, surely it will cover the same on the vertical?

And I personally disagree with square not having the popularity of 3:2; that's all there was once. I am sure that if this is implemented by Sony, portrait and landscape 3:2 lines will be visible if wanted, so zero disadvantage for me (plus I really like square!).

And as an ex-owner of the A850, I realty like Sony colours, too.

thrice

Kit, image circle is dependent on the diagonal, 36x36 diagonal is noticeably longer than 24x36 diagonal.

MGrayson

:lecture:
In the interest of :deadhorse:, here's a picture showing why a 36x36 square sensor is not going to happen with current FF lenses.

--Matt

The neat thing about square format is that the decision to go portrait/landscape can be made in post processing (via a crop) where there is more time to calmly think it through. There are way too many things to think about at the decisive moment. By moving the portrait/landscape decision to post, I think you get a better image.

Paul

jfirneno

:lecture:
In the interest of :deadhorse:, here's a picture showing why a 36x36 square sensor is not going to happen with current FF lenses.

--Matt
Matt:

I think what you've shown is that Sonyalpharumors may be talking about a 30" X 30" square sensor. The details of the stories there tend to get a little blurred at the point where we see them. Nice illustration.

Regards,
John

V

Vivek

That sonyalpharumors name is likely be changed soon. It seems Sony do not like it.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Matt,
The diameter of 24x36 is about 43mm and the diameter of 36x36 is about 52mm, only 9mm more, and since the coverage of FF lenses is much more than that, may be technically it is possible to make a 36mm square format and still use the FF lenses.
________
Manouch

Taylor Sherman

One possibility is that the camera will detect a "full" frame lens and auto-crop to 36x24; or at least it will know which lenses are only good for that much light, for any that cast a large enough circle it would open up the full square.

I'd rather have a FF mirrorless though :) -- with, of course, proper microlensing for handling wide-angle RF lenses. . .

MGrayson

Matt,
The diameter of 24x36 is about 43mm and the diameter of 36x36 is about 52mm, only 9mm more, and since the coverage of FF lenses is much more than that, may be technically it is possible to make a 36mm square format and still use the FF lenses.
________
Manouch
Manouch,

I know that some FF lenses have larger coverage, but don't the manufacturers try to limit the amount of light falling outside the frame? I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that there was little usable sharp image being "wasted".

Best,

Matt

JimBuchanan

Manouch,

I know that some FF lenses have larger coverage, but don't the manufacturers try to limit the amount of light falling outside the frame? I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that there was little usable sharp image being "wasted".

Best,

Matt
Yes, this reminds me of the Leica R camera rumor of a square sensor, and the 30x30mm image circle is accurate as possible 36x24 alternative.

While some lenses may appear to give coverage past 21mm image height, most drop off fast, even before then. I like the idea of a 30x30mm sensor, though.