The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN

kuau

Workshop Member
I have taken Douglas's approach.
Sigmarit 19 and 30mm for 400.00 a total no brainier,
Now if I can find some who has stock on the Sony 24 and 50 emount,
I will be set. I also have a Contax 90mm G with a fotodiox mount works great.

Steven

HeavyDuty

A question for other owners of this lens:

I've noticed my NEX-7 takes quite a bit longer to power up or wake from sleep when the Sigma is mounted as compared to the kit lens. It's not a big deal for me because I tend to not let the camera sleep when I'm actively shooting, but it could be an issue for some. I have a question in to Sigma USA's technical people about this.

Could others chime in with their experience?

V

Vivek

Yes.

The NEX-C3 with this lens is even slower. The C3 is already slow to "wake up".

FWIW, I only have SanDisk SD cards. This behavior might be different (for the better) with the Sony cards which are reported to be more efficient.

Jumping on the Sigma train as well. Ordered the 30mm from B&H - can't believe I forgot about DigitalRev, I could be using it now!

I'm going to keep the Zeiss on my 7 and use the Sigma on a "beater" 3 for my go everywhere, don't care what happens to my gear, camera. At $400 for the body lens combo, I think this might represent one of the best performance/value combinations out there.

Chad

V

Vivek

NEX-C3 and a few tiny manual focus lenses (in place of the 30/2.8 DN) make the "go anywhere" package for me. NEX-C3 + C-V 15/4.5 + W-Nikkor-C 2.5/4 + Olympus pen F 38/2.8. All the lenses are far more expensive than the C3 but are tiny and find a place in small pockets.

The Sigma 30/2.8 DN really shines on the NEX-7. I would think it would do very well on the 3 & 5 as well.

FWIW, there is a small price drop of the Sigma 30/2.8 DN in the EU! It is about 12 Euros cheaper than what I paid for (while the Sony lenses go up in their price).

Michiel Schierbeek

Just ordered the two Sigma's 19 and 30mm. for € 348 shipping included.
My first AF lenses for the NEX-7.
I do miss AF sometimes in streetphoto situations.

Question; is it possible to use the Panorama setting with these AF lenses?
Would like to try it out.

Michiel

mazor

Like Alphaman says, it is your call. :)

FWIW, I do not have the CV35/1.2 and have no clue how that works on the 7.

I do have the Olympus pen F 40/1.4 (as well as the 42/1.2 and the four different 38mm lenses) and that is just fabulous! One of the 38/2.8 lenses is a pancake (a true pancake).

Among the E primes, 30/2.8 DN, 30/3.5 macro (only for that- macro), 24/1.8, 50/1.8. All work well for me.

The rumored 30-35mm "fast" prime is most likely an f/1.8 lens just like the other two fast primes. I do not think Sony's current CDAF can handle faster lenses.
nice vivek, you have a good set of pen lens. I have to ask thoguh how does the likes of the 40 f1.4 pen f perform against the sigma 30 f2.8? say at same apetures of 2.8, size handling....

is the pen f 40 1.4 bigger than the sigma?

V

Vivek

Just ordered the two Sigma's 19 and 30mm. for € 348 shipping included.
My first AF lenses for the NEX-7.
I do miss AF sometimes in streetphoto situations.

Question; is it possible to use the Panorama setting with these AF lenses?
Would like to try it out.

Michiel
Hi Michiel, Whatever an E lens can do, these Sigma DNs also can do. I think the "shot gun" shutter gets activated when you do the panorama. The output is only a jpeg, btw.

V

Vivek

nice vivek, you have a good set of pen lens. I have to ask thoguh how does the likes of the 40 f1.4 pen f perform against the sigma 30 f2.8? say at same apetures of 2.8, size handling....

is the pen f 40 1.4 bigger than the sigma?
Hi Mazor, Thanks! It is my non selling habit that saved them! With the Panasonic G1, they got to see a lot of action. Only very briefly on the NEX-5.

40/1.4 contrast is lower compared to the Sigma 30/2.8 DN but probably has more details- ie., if you use the pen F lens in contrasty light, you can have them all.

The size is smaller. With the adapter, about the same. The diameter is smaller (43mm filter vs 46mm of Sigma).

madmaxmedia

Yes.

The NEX-C3 with this lens is even slower. The C3 is already slow to "wake up".

FWIW, I only have SanDisk SD cards. This behavior might be different (for the better) with the Sony cards which are reported to be more efficient.
The behavior is inconsistent for my on my 5N (with the Sigma or Sony lenses.) Sometimes I get a white screen, and the camera takes a couple of seconds to stop down. Other times it turns on and is ready instantly.

At one point I thought formatting the card in camera after transferring images solved this, but now I'm not sure.

mazor

madmaxmedia, i have never experienced the white screen just after waking from sleep with my 5n.

Tested with legacy dumb adapter, e mount and conurus ef to nex smart adapter, apeture on conurus and sony snaps opens real quick to last apeture setting.

If you think this is a memory card issue try powering up without one? If it still does the white screen, send 5n for servicing.

mazor

Hi Mazor, Thanks! It is my non selling habit that saved them! With the Panasonic G1, they got to see a lot of action. Only very briefly on the NEX-5.

40/1.4 contrast is lower compared to the Sigma 30/2.8 DN but probably has more details- ie., if you use the pen F lens in contrasty light, you can have them all.

The size is smaller. With the adapter, about the same. The diameter is smaller (43mm filter vs 46mm of Sigma).
thanks vivek for that, my 40 f1.4 penf just arrives yesterday. It's second hand condition is absolutely mint. Mounted on my nex its super tiny. Loving the 1.4 for low light an!its really sharp wide open, with no vignetting. Not sure if I need to get sigma any more being two stops slower lol, unless sigma bring out an OS version, then the ball game changes.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Douglas, I will be processing the Perar 35/3.5/NEX-7 images from a retreat last week tomorrow, along with some GXR/CV 35/2.5 images from Italy (it's been a very busy period) before deciding how good the Perar is..

I sent back the '7; a finder fault, and will get the replacement soon. And in the meantime, the OM-D arrives... and I have the 25 'Lux waiting for it.

So: many options around the smaller sensor cameras right now. As I mentioned elsewhere, for many reasons I am looking for a one-camera solution—the OM-D with the Panny 7–14, Panny 20/1.7, the Panny 25/1.4 and the Oly 45/1.8 could be it.

Shooting and processing first though, before any selling frenzy! I do like the APS-C 24Mp Sony sensor and much else; if only it could use the CV UWAs elegantly...

douglasf13

Yeah, it's a tough call, Kit. That OM-D looks great, although I'm not thrilled with the prism hump, which would force me to go back to the size issues that I had with the 5N+EVF.

Keep in mind that, since the m4/3 sensor is smaller, all of those lens' aperture equivalents are around a stop slower when compared to NEX, so they're not THAT much faster in real use. The Panny 20 and 25 are a little faster than the Sigma 30, but a little slower than Sony 24, and the 45 is a stop slower than the Sony 50, in terms of real use equivalence. The Panny 25/1.4 sure looks amazing, and that would be the most tempting lens of all, for me.

That being said, I can't recommend the Sigma 19 and 30 enough for the NEX-7. I'm not sure I've used a sharper lens on any mount than the Sigma 30. It certainly seems to give the Contax G 45 a run for its money, which shocks me.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Douglas,

Re prism hump: the whole body plus finder is still pretty flat, though; the 5N's EVF (like the GXR's sticks out in the depth/thickness dimension)—and that's what makes it so hard to pack in a small space. The NEX-7 is fine in this regard.

Yes, interesting times for sure for small (relatively!) sensor cameras. I have always preferred the look of larger sensor images, but as you know, used two copies of the great Nikon 14–24 on all of Nikon's best bodies—and that was a lens I NEVER took on a walk, just for pleasure.

The same EFOV on the OM-D would be a completely different experience. And, for UWAs, the extra stop of DOF is no problem at all. My concern is what processing route to use to get over the barrel distortion of the 7-14: Uwe has suggested LR4, others DxO, and these are options, but I use Aperture for casual work because of the gallery function. Still thinking on this aspect, and the CV 12 on the GXR has no distortion problems.

A replacement body for my NEX-7 is on the way (EVF problem); I know I can use CornerFix on the CV 12/5.6 files for the shading/colour cast, but a) it's an extra few steps (NEX-7 does not do DNGs which apparently this program needs) and b) I have read here that detail is smeared in the corners and on the long edges, so not sure what to do about that.

My desire for a single camera is simply economy of space (one body, a few lenses) plus I want to be able to really *know* this one body. Honestly, I am tired of changing gear so often!

So: I will trial the OM-D while on my next trip (Canada, and AZ) and make a decision then. It might just be GXR M for the UWAs; its 12MP are quality, no-problem ones, and the NEX-7 with the Sigma 30 and the Oly 50 (and some fine CV lenses on the Hawk's adapter). Still two bodies, though....

retow

Yeah, it's a tough call, Kit. That OM-D looks great, although I'm not thrilled with the prism hump, which would force me to go back to the size issues that I had with the 5N+EVF.

Keep in mind that, since the m4/3 sensor is smaller, all of those lens' aperture equivalents are around a stop slower when compared to NEX, so they're not THAT much faster in real use. The Panny 20 and 25 are a little faster than the Sigma 30, but a little slower than Sony 24, and the 45 is a stop slower than the Sony 50, in terms of real use equivalence. The Panny 25/1.4 sure looks amazing, and that would be the most tempting lens of all, for me.

That being said, I can't recommend the Sigma 19 and 30 enough for the NEX-7. I'm not sure I've used a sharper lens on any mount than the Sigma 30. It certainly seems to give the Contax G 45 a run for its money, which shocks me.
What Sigma did with the 30mm is hard to believe. A USD 200 lens with a performance on par with Leica's best and lifetime warranty inlcuded (at least in Europe).

douglasf13

tsammyc on the clubsnap forum took this pic, showing how the OM-D is about the same usable height as the 5N with EVF attached, which would be an issue with my new bag setup that I really like. My NEX-7 fits very snugly. The lens size is nice, though, but that would most just affect me in terms of aesthetics.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Yes, Douglas, looking at that pair, I can see your reservations re. the 'hump'. I am looking forward to using just the Siggy 30/2.8 on the NEX-7 when I get the new body. It will depend on which arrives first.

If it's the OM-D, I'm very inclined to get a Panny 20/1.7 for it, and just take that. If it's the NEX-7, I will attach the Sig. 30 and take only that.

The Sony 50 is a large lens, relatively speaking, isn't it?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Looking again at all this, I wonder if we should start a thread doing a 'pluses' and 'minuses' of the 5N, GXR, NEX-7 and the OM-D? Certainly that's what I have been wrestling with.

Where would such a thread go, assuming interest?